AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Word Alive, The - Deceiver Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 5.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 4.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.6
Musicianship 7.21
Lyrics 6.22
Production 6.74
Creativity 5.85
Lasting Value 6.18
Reviewer Tilt 6.59
Average: 65%
Inside AP.net

Word Alive, The - Deceiver

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (11/18/10)
The Word Alive Ė Deceiver
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: August 31, 2010

You know, I donít really like loud music - unless Iíve been drinking. But I also only like hockey when Iím drunk, so itís kind of a crapshoot. Not that I even drink that much, either. I have a weak stomach and when you drink everything kind of tastes like crap. Iím much more of a fast foodie. Anything that gets in the way of that is my sworn enemy.

ANYWAY, yeah, I do like The Word Aliveís debut full-length, Deceiver. I might even love it and want to marry it. And this is me sober as a jaybird! Maybe my enjoyment is rooted in the fact that they kicked out the guy who created the band, which is just kind of hilarious, or that they do this neat thing with keyboards/synthesizers that seems to make even the heaviest parts old-guy-tolerable. Dusty Riach isnít a name that sounds like much, but it is mostly because of this man's keyboard prowess that Iím not bleeding from an ear migraine right now. Well, thatís not entirely true. I also like the yelling of Tyler "Telle Smith." He was in another band that probably sounded like this, but now Smithís in The Word Alive and his yell is like the darkest, angriest glue keeping this whole operation together. The range he displays is most apparent (and breathtaking) on ď2012,Ē which is a total facepuncher. As it breaks down into a glitchy headbanger, Smith returns with clean vocals to knock our socks off with beautiful melody. Despite its schizophrenic and cluttered nature, "2012" succeeds in recreating the human emotion of fighting back. Itís a back and forth; itís an uncertain future. It's a hole in the drywall.

While The Word Alive are most likely similar to their peers (have I shown my ignorance enough yet?), there is definitely astounding levels of musicianship going on here; there's some prodigy shit happening for sure. Guitarists Zach Hansen and Tony Pizzuti donít spend the whole album pummeling us, instead choosing to mix in plenty of intricate finger wizardry with the gut kicks (ďConsider It MutualĒ is like one of those Sour Patch Kids commercial Ė both naughty and nice or whatever). And although thereís a song like ďYouíre All I See,Ē which channels the terrible ďsoftĒ closers A Day To Remember love so much, Deceiver for the most part knows its place as an angry, relentless metalcore album. Smith is often singing about overcoming this and that (and maybe God stuff?), but it works within the context of an album meant to create fist pumpage.

I mean, I admit that this isnít a very informative review. Iím writing from within a vacuum here. So either it means this album is really good because I can sit through it (and have many, many times), or it means that Deceiver's some sort of watered down trash that even a pansy can take. Whichever side of the leather-studded fence you sit on is kind of irrelevant to me, because Iím definitely frolicking in a field of heart-pounding drumming and choruses that soar like rocket ships. Also in that mythical field? Trees covered in tattoos that spout jack and coke instead of sap! And thatís my time! Youíve all beenÖtolerant.

Recommended If You Like: In Fear and Faith, Greeley Estates, blessthefall, Escape The Fate - maybe none of those bands also

The whole of the lawwww.myspace.com/thewordalive

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 85.
10:26 PM on 11/18/10
maker_break
We are not our failures
User Info.
What... the... fuck... I'll drink to that.
10:34 PM on 11/18/10
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
Favorite writer. Hands down. Obviously it's that Tiger education.
10:42 PM on 11/18/10
maker_break
We are not our failures
User Info.
Also, I would like to say that this is perhaps some of the most boring and uninspired cover art I've ever seen.
04:40 AM on 11/19/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Holy lol.
06:05 AM on 11/19/10
mayday
houston, we have a problem.
User Info.
After reading this review, all I can say is that I love even more the album now.
As it was pointed out, the album art is pretty boring. That doesn't stain the album in any way.
06:08 AM on 11/19/10
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
at least your introducing yourself to new music
i love their old stuff tho, prolly have to pick this one up!
07:57 AM on 11/19/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Did not like this at all on first listen, but this guy makes me want to give it another shot.

Well probably not.
08:05 AM on 11/19/10
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
Did not like this at all on first listen, but this guy makes me want to give it another shot.

Well probably not.
i didn't like it either. Upon 2nd listen i realized its just a ok album
08:06 AM on 11/19/10
richardliesse
absolutely
User Info.
Recommended If You Like: In Fear and Faith, Greeley Estates, blessthefall, Escape The Fate - maybe none of those bands also

hahaha.
08:16 AM on 11/19/10
dash64
^^^&&&&/////
User Info.
It's a good album, but something about it seemed off to me. I liked their ep but some of the songs on this record feel uninspired.
08:22 AM on 11/19/10
JTHomeslice
Your girl's favorite pizza boy
User Info.
I was waiting for someone to review this. I dig this album a lot, aside from the Battle Royale rerecord and that shitty ballad.
08:31 AM on 11/19/10
Meeze
PropertyOfZack.com
User Info.
yeah, i like these guys. im not convinced that it is better than their previous EP, but it is definitely good
08:34 AM on 11/19/10
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Hate this album but this review was awesome.

Quote:
He was in another band that probably sounded like this

Those little comments make my day.
08:37 AM on 11/19/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
I was really surprised by this album. I really enjoy it, and they're the only band out of this genre of synthcore that I actually like. I thought it killed BMTH's new album, though the album art is still terrible.

I've always liked the way you score things, too. Even though you liked the album, you're truthful about its shortcomings.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests