1. How did you get your band name?
I wanted to create a name containing the imagery of nightlife in a big city. All of our members are originally from a very small town, so we have this very romantic perception of big city life.
2. How did this band get started?
We all played in various bands together throughout our late childhood. Eventually, I went my separate way and started writing electronic music in my bedroom. Later on when their band broke up, I convinced them to reunite with me and start developing my electronic-based ideas into full-band songs.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Cocteau Twins, m83, New Order, Cut Copy, Phoenix
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Personally, I would love to open for any band that I loved either in adolescence or adulthood. Jimmy Eat World comes to mind, or any of the above bands.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A cat. Cats get to lay around all day, get petted, and don't have to work for food. I hate work.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We write pop songs about real life, but in an idyllic, dreamlike context. We want to navigate your existence away from the things you can't help and toward the things you can.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Our new single, "The Spot", could be fun. It could get difficult because some of the sounds are played on a sampler, and I don't think either game has added that feature yet.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I am blessed to have parents that love and support me and friends that have followed us from the beginning. Their support is the most important.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Top 40 radio sucks. There is no artistic integrity in pop music anymore, just a big machine driven by money and greed. It trains people to not think for themselves. If the right PEOPLE were in control, as opposed to a faceless, subhuman, collective instinct, we might see a shift in what actually gets acclaimed in the music industry.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Hometown shows are always the best. Every time we play JJ's Bohemia in Chattanooga, Tennessee, our heart shmelts.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It seems to serve as a healthy medium for good art.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Probably "Take It Easy" from our first EP (Turnpike), which is currently out of print. It's a song about our original hometown of Dayton, Tennessee, and how much we love to hate it and hate to love it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I generally don't like to pick favorites. I love sipping on coke and rum on East Coast beaches, but sometimes cabins in the Smoky Mountains offer a more timeless getaway. Hot tubs are a must.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I have this one specific memory where me and all my cousins crowded into my grandparents' bathroom and sang Moe Bandy's "Americana" at full blast at like three in the morning. All of our parents woke up and were pretty mad at us. But in the end I think it was a pretty American thing to do.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The power to create gourmet dinners without any preparation or work. Just instant fast food that doesn't come from mysterious dark places.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We like playing weddings.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We love hanging out with our infamous roommate, NastiNate. He writes beats in our basement, and sometimes we write hooks and synth lines for him. He pretty much brings the party.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I played saxophone in marching band for 8 years; Adam (bassist) works at a nuclear plant and generates power for the Tennessee Valley; Josh (drummer) is great at filling prescriptions; and Nathan (guitarist) is a champion small talker.