AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted... Album Cover

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted...

Reviewed by
Kanye WestMy Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Release Date: November 22, 2010
Record Label: Def Jam
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If you’re like most of America, you probably say “what was he thinking” after each Kanye West outburst, his new album is your chance to find out. All of West’s issues have been well documented over the past few years, so there is no need to get into them here. I mean, why should I do all the talking when his fifth studio album, My Dark Twisted Fantasy does it perfectly? Kanye West makes amends the only way he knows how – in the biggest, most cinematic and creative way possible.

Not only does West take risks the majority of pop stars would never attempt, he completely knocks them out of the park. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is exactly as advertised: it’s a journey through West’s deepest thoughts, showcasing all the facets to his persona (from his bravado to his insecurities) over a pristine collection of all his signature sounds.

Throughout the album, it seems that West is sampling his own source material. We hear his love for baroque instrumentation on tracks like opener “Dark Fantasy,” his penchant for soul on the incredible “Devil in a Dress,” or the electronic melancholy of 808s & Heartbreak on “Runaway.” Basically, West is taking his greatest hits, blowing them up, and then reconstructing them into the bigger grandiose vision he has for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Lyrically, West is entirely self-aware and incredibly human throughout, deconstructing his faults all while maintaining his braggadocios mentality. First single, “Power,” is classic Kanye. Featuring a brilliant sample of King Crimson’s “21st Century Schizoid Man” and infectious hand claps, West goes from boasting (“Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it/I guess every superhero need his theme music”) to perhaps self-reflection (“No one man should have all this power”). The sleazy beat on “Hell of a Life” takes us further into West’s dark psyche, while an angry West drops some of his best lines on the distorted “Gorgeous.” Even the chorus on the colossal “Monster” offers a double meaning. On the surface he is referencing to his skills, but underneath he is also making a comment on how the media views him (Gossip, gossip, n**** just stop it, everybody knows I’m a muthafuckin’ monster”).

Whether it’s pairing Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon up with hip-hop goliaths like Jay-Z and Rick Ross or going into a vocoder dizzy on the nine minute-plus “Runaway,” West is uncompromising with all his decisions. He goes on to unleash his greatest creation ever, the breath-taking horn-driven spectacle that is “All of the Lights.” It showcases an A-list of guests that only Kanye West could pull off, as the song features input from the likes of Rihanna, Elton John, Kid Cudi, Fergie, Alicia Keys, John Legend, The-Dream, Ryan Leslie, Charlie Wilson, Tony Williams, and Elly Jackson. Instead of being a bloated, indulgent song, it’s one of the fiercest and most personal moments in West’s entire discography. Telling the story of a good-for-nothing father who never follows through, West’s delivery is full of passion and urgency. Sure, the man will never be remembered as being one of the best MCs in the game (especially when compared to fellow album guests Raekwon and Pusha T), but his intensity and desire make up for it.

Kanye West just isn’t fighting haters, critics, and expectations this time, he’s also battling against himself during the course of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Take example of the excellent “Blame Game,” one of the gentler and bleaker moments of the album. West speeds up, stretches, and chops his vocals throughout the track, giving the sense of the multiple personalities and paranoia he tries to overcome.

Finally, we’ve seen West grow as a producer. From his early soul-sampling days to now, West is not afraid to introduce and incorporate different genres into his music. The credits will display an impressive collection of producers, as well as samples ranging everywhere from Smokey Robinson to Black Sabbath. His most interesting take may be the penultimate track, “Lost in the World.” Sampling from Bon Iver’s haunting “Woods,” West molds those lyrics with his own, as an auto-tuned medley of Vernon and West soar over pounding drums and a frantic backing choir. It ultimately leads into the final track, which features Gil Scott-Heron’s spoken-word piece, “Comment #1,” over the final minute of “Lost in the World.” And just like the beginning of the album, West lets someone else do the talking for him this time.

For an album that clocks in well over one hour, there is hardly any excessiveness. It’s definitely epic and ambitious, and only an artist with an ego like West’s could pull this off. Lil Wayne may be a Martian, but West has his own galaxy. He’s challenging the listener, himself, and the entire hip-hop genre with this album. It should go without saying that this is his masterpiece. On My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West isn’t breaking the rules of popular music, he’s making new ones.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Dark Fantasy
2. Gorgeous (feat. Kid Cudi and Raekwon)
3. Power (feat. Dwele)
4. All of the Lights (Interlude)
5. All of the Lights (feat. Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Fergie, The-Dream, Ryan Leslie, Elton John, Charlie Wilson, Kid Cudi, John Legend, Tony Williams & Elly Jackson)
6. Monster (feat. Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, and Justin Vernon of Bon Iver)
7. So Appalled (feat. Jay-Z, Pusha T, Prynce Cy Hi, Swizz Beatz & The RZA)
8. Devil in a New Dress (feat. Rick Ross)
9. Runaway (feat. Pusha T)
10. Hell of a Life
11. Blame Game (feat. John Legend)
12. Lost in the World (feat. Justin Vernon of Bon Iver)
13. Who Will Survive in America
Produced by: Kanye West, Bink, DJ Frank E, Emile, Jeff Bhasker, Lex Luger, Mike Caren, Mike Dean, No I.D., RZA, S1

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Page

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 843
02:12 AM on 11/22/10
Ian Walker
wes craven with x cravings.
User Info.
Fantastic review. Can't wait to give this album the attention it deserves.
02:16 AM on 11/22/10
tossit
Gather round children zip it listen
User Info.
Very well written review! Kanye West might be insane, but I love this album. Complete genius
02:20 AM on 11/22/10
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
This will definitively be in my AOTY list
02:37 AM on 11/22/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
just submitted my review too. about a 94/94/A for me, but it's still my AOTY. don't give a f!
02:45 AM on 11/22/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
AOTY. What's good?
02:53 AM on 11/22/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I'll look into it. I've been meaning to expand my rap boundaries as of late.
03:09 AM on 11/22/10
Sarcasm
lostinthesound.com
User Info.
Agreed. AOTY for me too.
03:12 AM on 11/22/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
This album actually succeeded all my expectations on first listen. It's important to note that my expectations were higher than God's apartment on the highest floor of heaven.

Fantastic review, this shit's going to explode.
05:43 AM on 11/22/10
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
But is there a single as good as "Whip My Hair?"
06:17 AM on 11/22/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Listening now.

Really hope this is as good as everyone says it is.
06:36 AM on 11/22/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
By far your best review, Drew. Fantastic read.

Album is $3.99 on Amazon MP3 today just so you all know.
07:06 AM on 11/22/10
butrfli1234
I'M ON FIRE
User Info.
Great review, and I love this album so much.
07:07 AM on 11/22/10
IceAge/HeatWave
hello earth
User Info.
fantastic review. totally deserving of at least a 98%.
07:31 AM on 11/22/10
meroki22
MYOPINIONISRIGHTERTHANYOU RSRAAWWR!
User Info.
This album actually succeeded all my expectations on first listen. It's important to note that my expectations were higher than God's apartment on the highest floor of heaven.

Fantastic review, this shit's going to explode.
This about sums up how I felt going into it. Couldn't believe I wasn't disappointed. Kanye is a true master of his craft.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos