AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.7
Musicianship 9.9
Lyrics 9.65
Production 10
Creativity 9.95
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 99%
Inside AP.net

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Reviewed by: weworemasks (11/22/10)
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Record Label: Roc-a-Fella/Def Jam/G.O.O.D. Music
Release Date: November 22, 2010

Everything about Kanye West’s journey to the limelight has been riddled with his visions and delusions in grandeur. His first performance back in the spotlight after the Taylor Swift VMA fiasco was atop a mountain while wearing the biggest chain this side of T-Pain’s Big Ass Chain. His music videos had running times of 1:43 and 34:32 respectively, and both spoke at about the same volumes. His G.O.O.D. Friday initiative found the internet in disarray every weekend, for the latest and greatest in high profile collaborations. Sprinkle in his promotional glories (joining Twitter, his Silicon Valley appearances) and disasters (Twitter, The Today Show), and you have one of the most invasive PR campaigns of the past decade.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is Kanye West’s opus after that journey. On 808s and Heartbreak, he allowed himself to explore and dabble in a new arena of hip-hop and pop, and in a way, it was his most sophisticated musical conquest to date. The route to the follow-up was clearly paved with criticisms of Kanye West straying away from hip-hop (the 30 Seconds to Mars collaboration didn’t help matters much), so his work was cut out for him. Good thing he reads the internet, right? My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the convergence of all four of his previous albums and their individual influences. It’s all here. The soulful leanings of his debut, the lush orchestration of Late Registration and the electro-pop leanings of Graduation are all omnipresent through each of the 13 tracks.

Keeping that in mind, the production on MBDTF is some of the most creatively unorthodox production West has ever released. Two minute guitar solos (“Devil in a New Dress”), syncopated claps as beats (“Power”) and a song completely driven by an Aphex Twin sample (“Blame Game”) display the ‘sore thumbs’ of the record. Even then, you still have some of the most complex drum and synthesizer programming he’s ever pulled off on “All of the Lights,” along with 8 of the album’s 13 tracks clocking in at more than 5 minutes.

For the studio sessions on his previous efforts, West maintained full creative input and output, allowing very few collaborations when it came to both rapping and producing. This time around, he enlisted a who’s who of A-list rappers and producers to be a part of this turning point in his career. On the production side of things, you have his mentor No I.D., comrades Swizz Beatz and Jeff Bhasker and newcomers RZA and Mike Dean. On the emcee side of things, where do you even begin? Cameo-wise, this is his most star-studded roster to date. His G.O.O.D. Music label is represented well with multiple features from Pusha T, Cyhi the Prynce and Kid Cudi, and then you have seasoned veterans such as Jay-Z, John Legend and Raekwon and their respective contributions. Throw in Rick Ross, Elton John, a Gil Scott-Heron outro, two separate tracks with Justin Vernon (of Bon Iver fame) and a show-stopping and scene-stealing Nicki Minaj appearance for good measure.

Lyrically, West is as good as he ever was during whatever particular phase you’ve ever been a fan of. It’s the subject matter that’s changed. Right off the bat, you notice two things; it’s sexually obtuse and extremely hedonistic and self-involved. Both of which may be due to a creative spark and/or the fact that his mother’s not around to hear him rap about anal gang-bangs, but that’s neither here nor there. In his path, lies every single one of his peers. In “Gorgeous,” he raps “Act like I ain’t have the belt in two classes/I ain’t got it?/I’m comin’ after whoever, who has it?” – Further affirming his place in the top ranks of producing and rapping. This also ties in with the fact that he upstages ‘big brother’ Jay-Z twice, which is a true display of where the student finally becomes the teacher.

Kanye West’s biggest downfall of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy will be writing a successor. At this point in time, the record plays as a greatest hits collection of his career thus far. It’s hard to believe that fans of previous outings of will find little to love about this record. The phrase ‘jerk-offs that never take work off’ also goes hand in hand with the work ethic that the record displays. It is starved and works hard for your attention, and everything this album boasts is in complete hip-hop and pop music excess. The extremities, virtues and shortcomings alike make this West’s most beautiful and repulsive album to date. After all of the promotion, G.O.O.D. Friday tracks and public mishaps, West has managed to serve up the pièce de résistance of his discography.

Recommended If You LikeKanye West

www.myspace.com/kanyewest

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
12:35 AM on 11/29/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
There's a "score's too low" joke I could/should be making here, but I'll spare you. Great review for the hip-hop AOTY.
11:41 AM on 11/29/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Now that I frequent your site, these reviews are always to late and I just comment to say good job and blah, blah, blah.

Love this record. A lot. Can't stop listening. Cant wait for the bonus tracks.
12:23 PM on 11/29/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Great review. Fantastic record.
12:30 PM on 11/29/10
lilRIPsta
User Info.
he're a more reasonable score than the ridiculous "perfects" and "98's"
01:29 PM on 11/29/10
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
Great review, of course...
01:55 PM on 11/29/10
Jookl
haaaaaaaaaaaa!
User Info.
Great Review as usual, You're probably my favorite reviewer on here, like how your reviews are always concise and efficients.

Also, great album, probably my favorite Hip Hop album I've ever bought in fact
02:20 PM on 11/29/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
There's a "score's too low" joke I could/should be making here, but I'll spare you. Great review for the hip-hop AOTY.

TY SIR.

Now that I frequent your site, these reviews are always to late and I just comment to say good job and blah, blah, blah.

Love this record. A lot. Can't stop listening. Cant wait for the bonus tracks.

haha, seriously though with the lateness. what's funny is i usually submit it the day i post em up -- in this case, a full 7 days ago.

he're a more reasonable score than the ridiculous "perfects" and "98's"

really, the only things i'd change is toss out monster and so appalled for other tracks more applicable to the album's theme. i like both of the songs, but i don't see a fit on the record.

Great review, of course...

gratzi!

Great Review as usual, You're probably my favorite reviewer on here, like how your reviews are always concise and efficients.

Also, great album, probably my favorite Hip Hop album I've ever bought in fact

thanks man, i try. i did this all throughout college and majored in it, i definitely SHOULD be good at it, haha.

+ also the packaging on this album is so good.

++ also:

02:29 PM on 11/29/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
TY SIR.

haha, seriously though with the lateness. what's funny is i usually submit it the day i post em up -- in this case, a full 7 days ago.

really, the only things i'd change is toss out monster and so appalled for other tracks more applicable to the album's theme. i like both of the songs, but i don't see a fit on the record.

gratzi!

thanks man, i try. i did this all throughout college and majored in it, i definitely SHOULD be good at it, haha.

++ also:

YW, dude. As for user reviews being "late", I'm guessing (and I could be completely wrong) there's a lot of shit that needs to be processed beforehand. I'm sure Drew or someone would tell you that even after they're done writing their staff reviews, they don't just put them one-two-three.

Finally, that image needs to be the new news pic instead of the current one. No one (with sense) cares about that incident anymore.
06:30 PM on 11/29/10
hello299
User Info.
TY SIR.

gratzi!

++ also:

Majority of the staff reviewers on this site could learn some pointers from you.
06:35 PM on 11/29/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Majority of the staff reviewers on this site could learn some pointers from you.
definitely appreciate that, man.

for what it's worth, they asked me to review as staff, since i already do reviews and the hip-hop round up, i just don't have time (or the effort, honestly) in me to write for another website other than my own for nothing. i'd love to, but the free music just doesn't make it worth it.
06:44 PM on 11/29/10
hello299
User Info.
definitely appreciate that, man.

for what it's worth, they asked me to review as staff, since i already do reviews and the hip-hop round up, i just don't have time (or the effort, honestly) in me to write for another website other than my own for nothing. i'd love to, but the free music just doesn't make it worth it.
Definitely understand. Quality writing/journalism takes some $ to get.
06:49 PM on 09/27/11
Jay Sean Fenris
User Info.
Oh Kanye...*Shakes head*
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music