AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
My Chemical Romance, The - Danger Days: The True Lives... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.43
Musicianship 6.41
Lyrics 5.94
Production 6.04
Creativity 6.78
Lasting Value 6.41
Reviewer Tilt 6
Average: 63%

My Chemical Romance, The - Danger Days: The True Lives...

Reviewed by: ChrisCanberg (11/23/10)
My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
Release Date: November 23, 2010
Record Label: Reprise

A lot happens in four years.

Since 2006’s rocket back to the top of the billboards, the fabulous killjoys, My Chemical Romance, have had quite a few twists and turns. With the loss of drummer, Bob Bryar, and the gain of daughter, Bandit, the universe sure knows how to play give-and-take with front man, Gerard Way, arguably one of the most creative minds in the genre today. As time has gone on, records selling millions, black parades marching, styles changing and gaining fans and haters alike, the days of releasing brand new material after a four-year absence, are indeed Danger Days.

I will politely ask you to take off your nostalgia goggles because the My Chemical Romance you have grown up with have indeed matured again. And the result is a staggering success.

From the start, the band were determined to make a stripped down rock ‘n roll record. For whatever the reason, the songs were not originally flowing until they laid the introductory anthem “Na Na Na”. The opening riff soars through your speakers as the one and only Dr. Death Defy pumps the energy of hype and excitement through your veins. By the time the last chorus rings out, you will have to catch your breath from this truly epic opener.

“Bulletproof Heart” grants you that opportunity, but only for a moment. After the touching introduction about honesty and emotion (to show that they haven’t completely cut off their Black Parade personas), its back to a loud and satisfying potential chart-topping sound for the remainder of the 5-minute duration.

The following three songs pack just as much heat, in relatively different ways. “SING”, the first ballad off the album, of which there are few, drags the rebel out of you. The opening strikes of the keys mixed with that beat are undeniably heroic, and this is seemingly the biggest step away from the usual MCR sound, until it hits the bridge and that riff has you jumping all the way to “Planetary (GO)”, a soon-to-be cause for numerous speed tickets. An honest opinion, this is the ultimate pedal-to-the-metal track, possibly of this generation. “The Only Hope For Me Is You” gives you one last run for the money as it drains you of your vocal energy with a hook that rips the sing-a-long straight from your lungs.

And now, finally an intermission. But the party doesn’t stop with “Party Poison”, containing a vocal delivery that will make you want to completely trash a house. “Save Yourself, I’ll Hold Them Back” provides a western gunslinger vibe, and would be the perfect candidate for a music video to continue the action-packed story of the Killjoys.

“S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W” and “Summertime” are great relaxing tunes, the former reflecting on the Black Parade song “I Don’t Love You”. Its refreshing to see that with such a drastic change in sound, the band have not forgotten where they come from. Which is why the next track, “DESTROYA” is so confusing. It comes in last in the race of the catchy, but it comes in first in pure aggressive rock, risking to sound out of place, but we all must remember this is still an MCR record. This type of song must be featured somewhere, right?

Last, but nowhere near least, “Vampire Money”. A homage to classic rock if ever there was one, the song does NOT let up during its entire duration. Its an album-conclusion that doesn’t thank the listener for listening, but blasts them away with their reemergence. Its a blow to the nuts that says: “We’re back and now you know it.”

Throughout the record, the production finds itself swaying from classic rock to “space-rock”, with odes to electronic sounds and numerous synthesizers that ultimately blend together near seamlessly to give the record its own pizazz.

All is not fabulous in the lives of the killjoys, however, while having some key lines to MCR’s repetiore, some of the lyrics are a case of “saying it just to say it”. But regardless, for a fraction of the time, this is where the desire to have an old-fashioned rock album gets misguided. Perhaps the biggest misstep on the album comes in the form of “The Kids From Yesterday”, which has the potential to be the king of movie soundtracks, but gets lost in its own production.

You have to admire a band that is simply not okay with just making another album, and who feel the need to go above and beyond with every step they take. It is artists like these who help music grow into a prominent future. While the acceptance of the new style is up to discussion among fans, Danger Days consistently feels motivated. Each track is there for a reason. It is safe to say that My Chemical Romance will never repeat a style, that they will continue staying fresh and will continue to try and break new ground, all for us listeners. For us, solely to dance into the night. And when the night is over, I bid a fond goodnight to Doctor Death Defy.

And you’ll best be sure I’ll see you in the morning. I just hope it doesn’t take another four years to wake up.

Recommended TracksPlanetary (GO); SING; Na Na Na; Bulletproof Heart; The Only Hope For Me Is You

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
10:12 PM on 11/28/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Good review. But you rated production way too high.
They remain one of my favorite bands. This disc did not disappoint. DESTROYA, Save Yourself I'll Hold Them Back, and Summertime are my favorites.
Great, great album.
12:04 AM on 11/29/10
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
oh gosh.. I love this album, but Planetary is the pedal-to-the-metal song of a GENERATION?? again, I LOVE this album, but Planetary is too much of a rip-off of Powerman 5000's "When Worlds Collide" for me to tolerate it. wish it got left off.

however, Na Na Na and Bulletproof Heart are 2 of my favorite songs by anybody in recent years.
11:45 AM on 11/29/10
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
oh gosh.. I love this album, but Planetary is the pedal-to-the-metal song of a GENERATION?? again, I LOVE this album, but Planetary is too much of a rip-off of Powerman 5000's "When Worlds Collide" for me to tolerate it. wish it got left off.

however, Na Na Na and Bulletproof Heart are 2 of my favorite songs by anybody in recent years.
I never listened to this CD, but I heard the song Planetary..and your right it sounds like a freakin' powerman 5000 song.
12:01 PM on 11/29/10
FortheLP
User Info.
I love the nostalgia goggles line. I recently wrote a review of this album and said the same thing. It's funny how attached people get to a particular "sound".
12:26 PM on 11/29/10
touchstone
wut
User Info.
I love this album and I see from your score that you did as well, but I couldn't read past the grammar trainwrck that is the second paragraph. Comma vomit, dude.
01:02 PM on 11/29/10
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
again: I love the production here...

the album could've had more guitar solos, but this way it works just as well...
02:44 PM on 11/29/10
ChrisCanberg
User Info.
I love this album and I see from your score that you did as well, but I couldn't read past the grammar trainwrck that is the second paragraph. Comma vomit, dude.
Not that bad. try reading it, that might work.
02:46 PM on 11/29/10
ChrisCanberg
User Info.
again: I love the production here...

the album could've had more guitar solos, but this way it works just as well...
I thought it had a good amount of solos. There were good ones in Bulletproof Heart, and the Vampire Money solo ruled.
04:41 PM on 11/29/10
poeticpower1223
meep
User Info.
Great review. My favorite track is Vampire Money.
06:29 PM on 11/29/10
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Review's not bad, well done.
I disagree there are "few" ballads though.
Also, Planetary is better as an experiment with a different sound than it is as a track on this album.
09:31 PM on 11/29/10
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
I never listened to this CD, but I heard the song Planetary..and your right it sounds like a freakin' powerman 5000 song.

yeah, I mean dont judge the cd by that song. I mean with the Black Parade and this new one, you can pick out influences. but Planetary, the melody and even the vocal pattern he sings in sometimes is straight ripped from PM5K lol. I dont judge em too harshly because its the least important song they'll ever make.
10:32 AM on 11/30/10
Vince Early
Size The Day
User Info.
yeah, I mean dont judge the cd by that song. I mean with the Black Parade and this new one, you can pick out influences. but Planetary, the melody and even the vocal pattern he sings in sometimes is straight ripped from PM5K lol. I dont judge em too harshly because its the least important song they'll ever make.
Haha yeah it is just a straight rip from PM5K but I just take the song the for what it is, a dance anthem and I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for.
11:10 AM on 11/30/10
twogirls1nathan
twogirls1nathan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album cant even be compared to Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge!
11:28 AM on 11/30/10
DPDurden
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what do some of you people think is wrong with the production? sounded fine to me
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests