Password

Album Review

Dredg - Live At The Fillmore Album Cover

Dredg - Live At The Fillmore

Reviewed by
Dredg - Live At The Fillmore
Label: Interscope
Release Date: November 7th, 2006

I’m pretty sure it’d be a safe bet to say that a lot of us have discovered a new band after seeing them live. It’s probably equally safe to assume that there have been a couple of bands that were so incredibly horrible live that the instantaneous reaction was “I will never, ever listen to this band again”. There’s really a lot riding on how well bands can perform in front of an audience, and how that performance compares to the one that drifts through our speakers. Which is exactly why making a live album can be a huge risk, career-wise. If your show doesn’t sound anything like your CD, it’s probably a good idea to avoid recording it at any costs. After being completely floored by the talent Dredg displayed on Catch Without Arms, my fingers were crossed that a live album would be even half as good.

Live At The Fillmore opens with “The Warbler”, and although the music is a bit drowned out at times, it still has an eerie pulsing vibe and the vocals are completely on par with those that Dredg displays on all of their studio albums. This is also made obvious on “Ode To The Sun”, with it’s frenzied guitars and desperate (but catchy) chorus. “The Ornament” is a decent sized change of pace; everything in the song is toned down to a very quiet, introspective level. Vocally as well as through the hopeless tone, “The Ornament” can be very closely compared to Brand New’s “Tautou”.

One of the biggest challenges that live albums meet is how well the actual energy of the band can be captured. And for the most part, Live At The Fillmore does that pretty well. Putting in a CD obviously isn’t the same as going to a concert, but with songs like “Of The Room” Dredg comes as close as possible. The jerky beat and generally dark mood is extremely crisp and the chorus hits the listener hard.

The most impressive track off of Live At The Fillmore is “Yatahaze”. When held up next to softer songs like “The Ornament”, or even more uplifting songs like ”Sanzen”, the heavy-hitting, moody music in “Yatahaze” is almost menacingly dark. Despite this change of tone, the song is still atmospheric and flows well in the context of the album. Also, the vocals and occasional yells on the song are passionate to the point of giving the listener chills.

Live albums are supposed to be the next best thing to actually seeing a band live, and in Dredg’s case, Live At The Fillmore is just that. The album contains a more than generous mix of songs from all of their past releases, and the songs themselves are generally pulled off well. If you are a fan of Dredg’s past work, Live At The Fillmore is definitely worth checking out.
This review is a user submitted review from thirtylastcalls. You can see all of thirtylastcalls's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
08:29 PM on 01/14/07
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.
Seeing Dredg live is a really powerful experience, as lame as that sounds. I love this band and after seeing them live and watching people around me in groups crying in hapiness. I am equally enthralled and wierded out by this band. I'm glad to hear the DVD is good. I'll be picking it up.
09:24 PM on 01/14/07
thirtylastcalls
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Seeing Dredg live is a really powerful experience, as lame as that sounds. I love this band and after seeing them live and watching people around me in groups crying in hapiness. I am equally enthralled and wierded out by this band. I'm glad to hear the DVD is good. I'll be picking it up.
It's actually a CD, but it's still worth picking up.
12:56 PM on 01/17/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I agree with this review, for the most part. I generally hate live albums, but having heard such good things about Dredg's live show, I had to check this out. It is among the best live albums I have heard.

First and foremost, Gavin Hayes's vocals are absolutely spectacular here, sounding just like they do recorded. He sings with emotion, strength, hope, and urgency, and it really shines through. He tends to overpower the rest of the band, though, which can be a bit of a downer. I would still give Hayes upwards of a 9 in vocals, but the rest of the ratings - except maybe creativity, where Dredg excels in kind.

Good review, overall. If you like Dredg, or intelligent prog rock - this is really worth checking out.
10:14 PM on 04/28/07
ihavechappedlip
Vulgar Display of Balls
User Info.
I had this cd, and lost it.... but it was worth buying!

Just not worth losing..
11:06 PM on 05/15/07
communitas
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's definitely worth a buy if want to get into Dredg but unsure of which album to buy first. Live at the Filmore has great selections from all three albums.
04:51 PM on 08/02/07
Theprofessorbmx
Concert Fiend
User Info.
I was at this show and am in the inside picture of the crowd. That show was amazing as dredg always is. This cd also has new songs not on other albums. A MUST BUY

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos