AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Showbread - Who Can Know It? Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 98%
Inside AP.net

Showbread - Who Can Know It?

Reviewed by: dangerofthought (11/25/10)
Showbread - Who Can Know It?
Record Label: Come&Live!
Release Date: November 16, 2010

Showbread. When I think of Showbread, my thoughts immediately go to the first album I heard from them, The Age of Reptiles. One of my favorite cuts from that album would be “The Jesus Lizard”, and its still one of my favorite songs to listen to and reminisce about high school and the music scene I was in back than. I then went back and listened to No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical and I realized that I like the direction Showbread was heading more with Reptiles then Nihilism. Then, they surprised me by releasing their epic double-disc concept album Anorexia Nervosa, a departure from both previous albums. It was then I realized Showbread had no intention of appeasing anyone but themselves. Their determination to continuously destroy their fan base by changing their very sound is only beaten by their determination to do it well. Both The Fear of God and their newest offering Who Can Know It? via non-profit Come&Live! may have limited their fan base, but their pure skill at which they perform have to bring in new fans that can appreciate them for their honesty and passion they pour into their music.

Josh Dies has outdone himself this time. Who Can Know It? has impressed me and I thought Showbread couldn’t do more then they already have. Not everyone will enjoy the musical style, but I honestly think everyone can appreciate the vulnerability Dies and the rest of Showbread bring in their latest offering. The lyrics are still the best part of Showbread in my opinion. The lyrics are so honest, vulnerable, and at times brutal. The song “Dear Music” is Dies expressing his frustration with the music industry. “If I could turn my back on anything / I'd choose it to be you / I've lost all interest in almost every thing that you do / You've more to do with complacency and the whims and trends of children / than any sort of worthwhile thing or the few folks left who feel them”. Holy crap. I wish I could quote the whole song, but you’ll just have to go and listen to it and the rest of the album.

The musicianship of this album is superb. To be honest, my expectations for the production of this album were low since the album was completely funded for by their fans back in the spring. But it has been great listening to this album. Its gritty in all the right places but also its “produced” in the right places too. Its hard to pick a favorite song because all have their great aspects, mainly the lyrics. Dies has always been one of my favorite lyricists but he has seriously engrained himself as a master songwriter.

In conclusion, the best way to finish this review is a quote I found in their press release biography: “Love them or hate them, one cannot deny that Showbread have refused to compromise their agenda: to pursue art on their own terms as dictated by their beliefs, even at the expense of success. If more bands pursued this ideology the world of music would be a strange (and better) place indeed.”

So what’s the best part about this album? It’s free. All you have to do is go to here to download it.

Recommended If You LikeRIYL: Showbread's The Fear of God, mewithoutyou, actually paying attention when you listen to music

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
05:59 AM on 11/29/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Good review, man! A couple of changes I'd make, though: 1) 3rd sentence should be "than" and not "then", and 2) capitalise all album names.
08:02 AM on 11/29/10
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
Good review, man! A couple of changes I'd make, though: 1) 3rd sentence should be "than" and not "then", and 2) capitalise all album names.
Thanks man! I went back and changed that "than" early on, and I think all of my album names were capitalized, but I went and italicized then just in case thats what you mean. Sorry about that!
11:36 AM on 11/29/10
rushour144
User Info.
Hands down their best album yet! I am still in awe of this record.
11:36 AM on 11/29/10
rushour144
User Info.
Hands down their best album yet! I am still in awe of this record.
oh, and great review, thanks!
12:51 PM on 11/29/10
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
Haven't heard anything from this yet, but i'm interested in checking this out after reading this review.
01:24 PM on 11/29/10
oncedarkness
Listen to Josh Garrels
User Info.
Great album. It's been moving and shaking on my year's top list. Better with every listen. Once you bear with the vocal style, it's amazing.
01:55 PM on 11/29/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Hard album to swallow. I've really only listened once and I didn't particularly enjoy it and found myself bored throughout. I love the band so I'll keep listening, heard it's a grower.
02:15 PM on 11/29/10
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
Hard album to swallow. I've really only listened once and I didn't particularly enjoy it and found myself bored throughout. I love the band so I'll keep listening, heard it's a grower.
It is absolutely a grower. This is the first Showbread album without a shread of screaming and Dies' vocals aren't exactly cookie-cutter. I think it will grow on you though.
03:59 PM on 11/29/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Good review. This is a solid album by a band that only gets more exciting as they get more creative.
09:02 AM on 11/30/10
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
Good review, good album. Just picked up Anorexia/Nervosa for $8.50.
05:08 PM on 11/30/10
thekazeblade
User Info.
It is most definitely a grower. I feel it could have used a bit more contrast between songs, and I haven't quite yet gotten to love it yet, but I appreciate what they did here. They're maturing, its obvious, and the subject matter of the songs is evident of that. It's mature song writing, much like TFOG, maturity being sophistication and self-awareness (as in Dear Music).

It's not perfect, and it's not the same kind of Showbread from No Sir and the others. And that's fine.
03:36 AM on 12/02/10
Tec Mason
Christian. Market Anarchist.
User Info.
Great album. "Myth of a Christian Nation" is my favorite (obviously)
04:10 PM on 12/02/10
livingalive626
remember, remember...
User Info.
i think the way they recorded/released this album is the future of music.

downloading it now, cannot wait. Anorexia Nervosa was amazing
05:33 PM on 12/07/10
LRAC
LewisCantSpell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is such a nice showbread slap in the face!Prison comes undone is absolutely haunting. Le abum definitely takes a few listens.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums