AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

108 - Creation. Sustenance. Destruction. Album Cover

108 - Creation. Sustenance. Destruction.

Reviewed by
108 - Creation. Sustenance. Destruction.
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Release Date: July 11, 2006

This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If one band could capture what a vicious cycle should be comprised of in three words, it would be 108. With Creation.Sustenance. Destruction., they have reaffirmed to the world that Hare Krishna and hardcore can pro-create to make a love child after a 10-year hiatus. But let's not fixate ourselves on spiritual righteousness, the mantras and rhythmic chants for the time being, because 108 is more than just a hardcore band pouring devotion to Bhagavad Gita or championing pent up frustrations.

This 36-track discography starts off strong with the song "Invocation". Vic DiCara's wiley riffs and experimental heaving immediately pull their signature punches throughout the song. It's only moments before the highly motivating screams of "Rise!" are let loose maniacally upon the listener, with what can only be described as the imperial backbone of the rest of the album.

"Deathbed" suspends you between an adaptable state of fear and a never-ending trance, boring a bass line with deeply churning grooves. It gradually builds with fervor amidst an out-of-body experience, where finally vocalist Rob Fish exclaims, "Your body's here, but you're not." Every song is finely fitted with a style of haunting lyrical intensity that awakens you within your nightmares, but with subdued intermittence.

Beneath the sluggish instrumentation riddled with growls of angst are the harrowing themes of submission, defiance, and rebellious energy. "Weapon" mounts an edgy tone reminiscent of an Earth Crisis track, with a line like "this is the weapon of a real revolutionary". Frustrations hailed at the savagery of human exploitation? Check. And incontestably, no 'core album can be emblematic without it's own asthma inducing punk songs, like "I Am Not" and "Arctic", whereas "Pale", "Woman", "Being or Body" and "Serve and Defy", are cleverly composed within the darkest of hues and uncompromisingly sifted through crimson matter.

The double disc comes in white packaging, a clear testament to a light at the end of the tunnel from the fortified 19-year heap the band has surmounted. To become privy to that experience, one must channel the complete discography, whether it be through a meditative state or in lead-footed stubbornness. Consider-- besides the fact that the band's seminal influence in hardcore has long been aching to be memorialized-- a chaotic harmony substantiated by three simple numbers. Because whether or not you believe in spiritual cognizance, very few bands can convincingly evoke the conscience, hidden nostalgia, and feel good singalongs reminiscent of early 90's hardcore while leaving us craving for more at the same time.

Recommended If You LikeMean Season; Foundation; Unbroken; Maha mantra; 90's metal hardcore

myspace.com/108music

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:31 PM on 11/29/10
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Whoah my friend left this cd at my house like 2 years ago
Now I feel like checking it out
10:15 AM on 12/02/10
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Whoah my friend left this cd at my house like 2 years ago
Now I feel like checking it out
It's definitely worth checking out. I remember years back when I was playing them at my place and a friend of mine who mostly listens to hip hop (and is highly critical of hardcore) came over. She reacted positively to it and was like "wow, who is this? They sound totally different from a lot of that other stuff I've heard from that genre."

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos