Password

Album Review

Stages and Stereos - Songs You Will Love EP Album Cover

Stages and Stereos - Songs You Will Love EP

Reviewed by
Stages and Stereos - Songs You Will Love EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 16, 2010
I remember thinking the first time I ever listened to S&S, "Wow the entire Lancaster family must be extremely talented for each of them to have their own band." After all, Stages lead singer is none other than Daniel Lancaster, younger brother of Ex-Mayday Parade and current Go Radio lead singer Jason Lancaster. Even though it had a nice sound to it, "Dear, You Love Me" just didn't sell the band for me. Six months later, I found the song "We All Make Mistakes" and just like my old days in middle school, I had fallen in love in three minuets. I was sold. But now the question is, will this short EP sell it to you?

Songs You Will Love starts off with an upbeat track called "Diamond All The Way". The sincerity in Lancaster's voice tugs at your heart as he sings his lungs out, begging to ask why perfect relationships have to end up bad. Strong lyrics are backed by some fantastic guitar and drum work. The main chorus is upbeat as can be, packed to the brim and with whoa and ohs, making it so that you'll be screaming the lyrics "Sing it up, sing it up, woah No you're not alone and this ones for you So turn it up, turn it up, woah If you feel the same way that I do" all the way down the highway.

The next track is entitled "Lust Is Your Lifestyle", and it is fantastic. Slick guitar work paves the way for what quickly becomes the catchiest song on the record, which will drill itself into your brain for many hours following after only one listen. The vocals outshine almost every other track, but the song lacks all of the emotion that gives the other songs such a unique sound. The instrumental work also takes its time to shine, starting with the fantastic electric guitar and drum intro. It certainly a fantastic song, but it seems slightly off paired with the other tracks.

My personal favorite is track number three, "We All Make Mistakes". The impressive guitar and drum work that starts off "Lust Is Your Lifestyle" is mirrored here, but in a much calmer and melodic way. You won't notice just how incredible Lancaster's vocals are until this track. He sings his heart out in such a way fills the song with the instant relatibleness that comes from fantastic writing and singing coming together. Some may call the song melodramatic, but the way that the vocals, instruments and lyrics all come together, especially in the lines of the main chorus ("I Feel like my heart is falling apart, over and around the seams, no whoa don't go, please just stay for now") eliminates any negative content the song may have.

The final song, "B-Side" is by far the weakest song on the EP. The track seems to flow somewhat awkwardly. The lyrics and instruments end up saving what could have turned out to be an overly mundane song. Lancaster's vocals seem somewhat subdued, like the band is holding back for the final track.

Songs You Will Love by Stages and Stereos is kinda like a summer action movie. It can be absolutely fantastic while it holds you attention, with all of its glam and pizazz, but it lacks something you haven’t seen before. You know there will be explosions. You know the hero will win the girl. You know that there will be predictable plot twits. Songs You Will Love is very similar. Its entertaining and good music, it just lacks something you haven’t seen before. The emotion that Daniel Lancaster uses to sell his vocals is a not often seen trick, but at points you'll feel like you've already heard every strum of Bryan's and Jordan's guitars, every note of Ian's bass and every sound that Colby's drumming has to offer. When all is said and done, the lack of unique content is not a huge gripe that shouldn't stop you from enjoying and otherwise fantastic EP.

Recommended If You LikePunk-Pop; Go Radio; Mayday; Select Start; Faster Faster; All Time Low
This review is a user submitted review from ChristianFuller. You can see all of ChristianFuller's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
05:16 PM on 12/12/10
annarollsalong
User Info.
I really love this review. I've been listening to S&S for a couple years now, and my favorite EP is Songs You Will Love. "We All Make Mistakes" is amazing, my favorite part is, "I'm the boy who had it all till I broke her heart." Perfect. Thanks for reviewing it! The Lancaster boys are incredibly talented. If they have musical parents and a few more siblings they could be the Von Trapps lol.
09:36 PM on 12/14/10
ChristianFuller
I Am As Guilty As Every One Of You
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really love this review. I've been listening to S&S for a couple years now, and my favorite EP is Songs You Will Love. "We All Make Mistakes" is amazing, my favorite part is, "I'm the boy who had it all till I broke her heart." Perfect. Thanks for reviewing it! The Lancaster boys are incredibly talented. If they have musical parents and a few more siblings they could be the Von Trapps lol.
Haha, thanks and I totally agree. I love the Lancasters :)
10:43 AM on 12/18/10
Clockwork00
Write it on the walls and read it.
User Info.
Anyone know anything about the acoustic EP they were talking about a long time ago?

EDIT: Also, love this EP. And I agree about B-Side. Good song but something's off about it.
06:37 PM on 02/07/11
ChristianFuller
I Am As Guilty As Every One Of You
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Anyone know anything about the acoustic EP they were talking about a long time ago?

EDIT: Also, love this EP. And I agree about B-Side. Good song but something's off about it.
I'm not sure. They cut out everything. They havent been on their myspace in forever. Thanks for the feedback -

Christian

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version