AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Foxx Bandits - 11.29.10

Foxx Bandits - 11.29.10

Interviewed by
Foxx Bandits - 11.29.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Foxx Bandits

www.myspace.com/foxxbandits
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foxx-B...0953336?ref=ts

1. How did you get your band name?
We got offered our first show before we had a name, so we had to come up with one. At the time we were using the word ‘foxx’ to rate personal achievements of craftiness. The number of x’s at the end of ‘foxx’ would reflect how crafty the act was. For example, Ryan Giggs is always a ‘foxxxx’. Always.
At the time we lived in a part of London, which was shady to say the least, so we referred to it as ‘Bandit Country’; the lawless Wild, Wild West London.
We combined the two terms.

2. How did this band get started?
The band was the brainchild of Jith and Fraser, who met through a shared affinity for Frank Black, South East Asia and Spiced Rum. Deciding on starting a band they then enlisted the help of friends; myself (Niall) a Mary Chain obsessed drummer and the unique bass styling’s of Tom, who was previously involved with one of Fraser’s previous musical outlets. Since its conception we have gone on to play as much as possible, trying to create a name for ourselves within a saturated music scene.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Each of the members of the band has different influences, which has shaped the stylistics of how we play as individuals. Our collective sound comes from compromising the influences together. We all appreciate beauty, innovation and ridiculousness in music, so we try to encompass that into Foxx Bandits.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
We really like to let ourselves loose when we’re playing live, so we’d like to tour with another band with a shared ethos like The Jesus and Mary Chain, Joy Division or Sonic Youth. There’s not much chance of that these days though, so the modern alternative would be fuzz-fi bands like No Age, Wavves, Male Bonding, etc.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

Good question. Well, I’ve been dubbed as ‘the cute one’, so it would probably be some lame bunny rabbit or something. Fraser (or Mowgli!) is the hairiest, by far, so this is more his area, but I’d say some kind of bear. Tom is our Top Cat. Jith wouldn’t have fur, he’s a turtle.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
The music is honest, up-front, mixes delay driven wall of sound guitars and folk sensibilities. It had the intention of mixing influences from previous projects, ranging from instrumental post-rock and moody acoustic folk within a pop context.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I guess our track ‘Youth’ from the Gold Dresses EP would be our Guitar Hero track. Its got the most obvious ‘riff’ in it and remains upbeat throughout. We write by the rule of thumb that ‘less is more’, so there’s no 80’s hair metal egos in any of our music. On that basis, it would probably we relatively easy to play. We don’t like over-complicating things.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Haha, that might be a long way off! We are extremely proud of what we have achieved so far and a lot of that is due to our close friends who have helped up out along the way. We try to keep everything related to the band in a nice little social bubble of our good friends.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
We firmly believe in a DIY approach to making, performing and releasing music. More and more bands are doing well for themselves on their own backs, which is great to combat the bourgeoisie of the X Factor and its affiliates.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Brighton drunkenness and playing Koko. Cabin fever on the road. Shouting at Smart car owners for no reason except for owning Smart cars.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A website called Absolute Punk that is really open to new bands.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
We all really enjoy playing ‘Kafka’. It's got the most dynamic build and ending, which is really fun to play live as we get to really thrash out for the finale.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
We went to New York last summer. It was sick. We stayed in an out-of-season Jewish nursery in hipster-central Williamsburg. We could really imagine ourselves making a more permanent move there.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
My family are Irish, so I was reared on Irish folk. My mum really loves early glam rock such as Bowie, T-Rex, Roxy Music, which has definitely had an interesting effect on my upbringing.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flying, hands down. Everything would just be quicker. Don’t have to pay for Oyster cards either!

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Certainly not. We’ve only just begun and have soooooo much more to give.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
There’s no skeletons in our closet, we are pretty genuine guys.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
The aforementioned New York trip , priceless.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

We’re dealing with a borderline addiction to playing Fifa. We’re not proud about it.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can make people get rid of hiccups ;)

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums