AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Circa Survive - Appendage EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.98
Musicianship 7.83
Lyrics 7.77
Production 7.69
Creativity 7.74
Lasting Value 7.61
Reviewer Tilt 7.88
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Circa Survive - Appendage EP

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (11/30/10)
Circa SurviveAppendage EP
Record Label: Atlantic
Release Date: November 30, 2010

Back in April, Circa Survive released their highly anticipated follow-up to On Letting Go, Blue Sky Noise. Being their most accessible, radio friendly record, BSN was either loved or hated. As a result, fans of this previous output will be more than satisfied with an unexpected EP from the group – Appendage. Consisting mainly of BSN b-sides and one unreleased demo (“Sleep Underground”), these tracks are the last pieces of the Blue Sky.

The aforementioned demo begins with an eerie organ before Anthony Green’s haunting vocals emerge as he sings highly “listen to yourself / don’t talk back / keep your lips closed / sleep underground tonight”. Channeling the wintry Juturna, “Sleep Underground” is simply chilling. Conversely, the next cut “Stare Like You’ll Stay” is the antithesis of the opener, as it is undoubtedly the most optimistic and genuinely hopeful track Green has ever penned. Guitarists Colin Frangicetto and Brendon Ekstrom capture the buoyant mood expertly, as again their guitar work proves a highlight of Circa.

Following suit, “Everyway” is a vocal highlight, as is usual with Green; the soft drum taps of Steve Clifford are most prevalent here until the upbeat chorus builds up. “Backmask” is a loud number, structurally similar to “Fever Dreams.” The final morbid “Lazarus” is the darkest point on Appendage as Green proclaims swiftly “anything that I did way back when / it seems so long ago / might as well have all been by accident.” Hauntingly complete with pulchritude, “Lazarus” proves to be the perfect track to end this forgotten EP. A true ode to Blue Sky Noise, the b-sides of Appendage will surely not disappoint, as the entirety of the EP is commendable – even album worthy – nonetheless.

Recommended If You LikeCirca Survive’s Blue Sky Noise

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Sleep Underground (Demo)
2. Stare Like You’ll Stay
3. Everyway
4. Backmask
5. Lazarus

Circa Survive are:
Anthony Green – Vocals
Colin Frangicetto – Guitar
Brendon Ekstrom – Guitar
Nick Beard – Bass
Steve Clifford – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 63.
08:52 PM on 11/30/10
TomWhaley
Lay me in the dirt and I will grow.
User Info.
Good review. This EP was great. Kind of makes me wish they saved songs like Everyway and Stare for their next album, instead of releasing them like this, but I'm not complaining! Really enjoyed this
08:53 PM on 11/30/10
Ryan Rumsey
Good Business Moves
User Info.
08:57 PM on 11/30/10
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
This EP is awesome. Stare Like You'll Stay, full-band Everyway and Sleep Underground are just awesome.
08:57 PM on 11/30/10
aoftbsten
Go Buffs.
User Info.
Really digging this EP, good review.
08:58 PM on 11/30/10
bifforama1
@cahayes2
User Info.
Haven't listened yet, but I'm sure I'll love it. Circa are gods in my book and can do no wrong.
09:03 PM on 11/30/10
ASOGenius
A Stroke Of Genius
User Info.
Very good EP
09:03 PM on 11/30/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
diggin appendage after repeated listens, they implement some slightly proggy parts in places i didn't expect, in regards to chord progression and sound and tone, despite that this is easily their most 'pop' or upbeat / hook oriented material since parts of OLG. overall good stuff, definitely a mature EP, though i greatly prefer their more experimental darker work. the end of lazarus slays though.
09:09 PM on 11/30/10
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
now that i have an external hard drive, i need to download to get this band's discography ASAP. i want to pay for it though so I have to wait till I get some money coming in too
09:17 PM on 11/30/10
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
Used my $3 Amazon credit for this. Definitely need to spend some more time with it, as the initial listen didn't really grab me right away.
09:17 PM on 11/30/10
TheJacobEra
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haven't heard yet. Excited!
09:23 PM on 11/30/10
eriatarka24
=^.^=
User Info.
Good review, thank you. I bought it off Amazon MP3 last night :) I really love Backmask.
09:27 PM on 11/30/10
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
I love this EP, so awesome that we didn't have to wait for long to hear new stuff from them
09:28 PM on 11/30/10
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Good review. Loved this EP.
09:31 PM on 11/30/10
Juan Jose
User Info.
need to get this when i get paid
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music