AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bogatzke - On The Weak End Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 8
Lyrics N/A
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Bogatzke - On The Weak End

Reviewed by: PeeDster (12/07/10)
Bogatzke - On The Weak End
label: digitalkunstrasen.net
Release Date: October 14, 2010

Every so often someone forces unto you a recommendation for a new album or a new artist begging you to check it out with promises of endless wonder and musical bliss… This is what happened to me with Bogatzke. Trusting the person’s judgement I naturally became excited and immediately made further enquiries…Suffice to say that when I heard the quirky name of the act I was a little bewildered and had absolutely no idea what to expect.

After discovering that Bogatzke was in fact a one man project hailing from Germany I grabbed his entire discography and was immediately lost in a soundscape of synths, guitars and beats.

This all happened over a year ago and at that point he already had released 3 EP's for me to digest and enjoy. I was hooked.

Now Bogatzke has returned to offer up his first length album titled On The Weak End. The first track May Your Days Be Long Upon The Earth immediately picks where he left off. Synths and guitars; creating a wall of sound that never feels too heavy and never feels too bare. Only this time around it sounds even better. His experience in recording his older material is shining through now and you feel that his craft is just starting to reach a new level all together. It’s crisp, it’s slick and the balance is perfect.

When Bogatzke is not swirling you in a sea of synth, bass and guitar laden moments of bliss he pulls you right back down to earth with beats that not only compliment the beautiful instrumentation, but drive the songs with new found gusto and purpose. The songs So This Is Distance and Heavens and Heathens are just some of the instances in which he has managed to balance an up tempo beat with an almost dream like backdrop of instrumental melodies. It’s his call card, if you will.

If I had to liken his music to anyone I immediately think of the following; Moby mixed with Mogwai. Trust me, it works and it sounds amazing. I really think that everyone should give this album a spin.

It is available for download here and I promise you that if you think that any of the above sounds like something you may enjoy, you will not regret it.

tracklist01 May your days be long upon the earth
02 I am Jack's broken heart
03 So this is distance
04 No shore in sight
05 19/99
06 Heavens and heathens
07 Night drive to shell beach
08 And she was hurricane
09 The weak end

RIYL Mogwai, Moby, Explosions In The Sky, This Will Destroy You, Four Tet

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
07:34 AM on 12/08/10
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
Sounds interesting. Why does it say on the reviews page that you rated this album 58%, when in this page here it says you gave it 85%?
07:48 AM on 12/08/10
allelish
Snowmobile / Francis
User Info.
Awesome review, and the album is a delight!
09:06 AM on 12/08/10
Maxwell
awefaeeeeeeef
User Info.
heavens and heathens is a great track. good review PD.
12:50 PM on 12/08/10
Stereo Mike
go for broke
User Info.
sweet review PD! i always forgot to check this out, but i'm a fan of his previous work.
06:01 PM on 12/08/10
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
Great review. Fantastic album.
07:56 PM on 12/08/10
unnameworthy
Gypsy Wizard
User Info.
Is this album title a blatant rip-off or am I being oversensitive?
10:30 PM on 12/08/10
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Sounds interesting. Why does it say on the reviews page that you rated this album 58%, when in this page here it says you gave it 85%?
because the album has no vocals ...im guessing it factored the NA as zero? will need to look into this.

and thanks for reading everyone :)
12:42 AM on 12/09/10
-whisp-
HelixSkies
User Info.
Sweet review + lovely album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates