Password

Album Review

Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home Album Cover

Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home

Reviewed by
Dustin KensruePlease Come Home
Release Date: January 23, 2007
Record Label: Equal Vision Records

Please Come Home is the freewheeling solo debut of Thrice frontman Dustin Kensrue. Kensrue's folk-country labor of love has finally taken shape with a minimalist 8-song release featuring Thrice axe-man Teppei Teranishi and the band's guitar tech, Chris Jones.

The album kicks off with a double-time acoustic number called "I Knew You Before." Kensrue sends a scathing message with sharp lyrics aimed at the degradation of women. Interesting fare, for sure, and it proves quite the compelling opener for Please Come Home. The title track is a rather unexpected ballad that stands proud although at times seemingly scattered. The arrangements feel a little off until Kensrue hits the chorus for the first time, and then he finds his groove. "Blanket of Ghosts" is the surefire sleeper song on the album. Sounding as though Kensrue decided to channel Counting Crows frontman Adam Duritz, the song meanders along with an organ-heavy accompaniment (courtesy of Thrice's Teranishi). Many listeners may skip this song, but it reminds me a lot of Duritz's "A Long December," with its slick lyrics, extended solos, and pleasing tone.

The devout singer is not above seemingly confessional songs. "Blood & Wine" is a perfect example, with its dark imagery and lamentations about womanizing and drug abuse serving as a stark warning to all those who may be tempted. The song starts out slow, but eventually speeds along at breakneck pace before finishing just shy of two minutes in length. Short and sweet, just the way Kensrue wanted the album to be. His music dances between light and dark, moral and immoral, fast and slow with effortless poise.

Don't hastily write off Dustin Kensrue because of the religious themes touched upon in this record. Instead, settle down into a comfortable chair and let his smooth vocal delivery and moving lyrics speak to you. Different people will uncover different messages within the songs on this record, and that is the mark of a truly strong, contemplative CD. Avoiding the alt-country stigma, Please Come Home certainly is no "neighbor shot my dog, screwed my girlfriend, and stole my tractor" hell-raiser of a record. Instead, this pleasant, introspective album retains its integrity. Rising above the ashes of his contemporaries, Dustin Kensrue has achieved his dream in a way that few thought possible.

Buy Dustin Kensrue's Please Come Home on iTunes

Track List01. I Knew You Before
02. Pistol
03. I Believe
04. Please Come Home
05. Blood & Wine
06. Consider the Ravens
07. Weary Saints
08. Blanket of Ghosts
Listen to Dustin KensrueAP.net Profile | Myspace | Official Site
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
10:07 PM on 01/21/07
ArTkY_
oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
User Info.
I'm pretty sure Blood & Wine isn't about Dustin, Tony!

That aside, this is a pretty good review.
11:39 PM on 01/21/07
xTJx
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My only complaint about this cd is that it's short.
12:44 AM on 01/22/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Nice review, very fine album.
01:36 AM on 01/22/07
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
User Info.
Love this album, it's growing on me even more each time I listen.
04:45 AM on 01/22/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
I'm pretty sure Blood & Wine isn't about Dustin, Tony!

That aside, this is a pretty good review.
I fixed that before the site went down. My wording was screwy so it read that it was about him, which wasn't what I meant. Anyway, it's fixed.

Glad you guys like it so far.
05:00 AM on 01/22/07
CLARIFY THIS
--
User Info.
Great review.Short and to the point,just like the album.
05:14 AM on 01/22/07
trindaddy
Trinconceivable
User Info.
great review, great album
05:53 AM on 01/22/07
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
i love this album
05:56 AM on 01/22/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review Tony, I definitely agree with a lot of what you say and the score.
06:05 AM on 01/22/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
My only complaint about this cd is that it's short.
It's supposed to be; there's a paragraph or two on Dustin's Myspace explaining why, and I thought that was fairly interesting.
06:19 AM on 01/22/07
chanmander
hip-hop isnt dead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is currently the best album of 2k7, and i can only think of 3 or 4 cds that will possibly come close // eclipse it. 'pistol' is a fucking incredible song, a plain and simple love-song, but done SO well. the harmonica adds such a vibe to it.

i am oh so eager to see this shit in person.

It's supposed to be; there's a paragraph or two on Dustin's Myspace explaining why, and I thought that was fairly interesting.

i found his reasoning behind the 8 song // 29:31 running time quite interesting as well. it really adds to the essence and meaning of the disc, shows he really put a lot of himself into the record.
06:59 AM on 01/22/07
zerock
absolute apple
User Info.
great review, and great album! :)
07:12 AM on 01/22/07
onxpoint
Booze and Pills
User Info.
this line totally invalidated the review for me

"Avoiding the alt-country stigma, Please Come Home certainly is no "neighbor shot my dog, screwed my girlfriend, and stole my tractor" hell-raiser of a record."

how many alt-country records can you name with this kind of lyrical content? moreover, how many mainstream country records can you name with said content? that kind of stigma being attached to country music is really a huge annoyance of mine.

"i listen to everything but rap and country"

that being said, this record is really really good. "pistol" is perfect mixtape material.
07:12 AM on 01/22/07
JohnDorian
Linguo Dead?
User Info.
'Blanket Of Ghosts' is possibly the best song on the album, how could anyone skip it?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos