AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Margate - 12.06.10

Interviewed by
Margate - 12.06.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Margate
(answered by lead singer/drummer Alex Helbig)
www.margatemusic.com
www.facebook.com/margaterocks
www.youtube.com/margaterocks

1. How did you get your band name?
The original line up of the band, along with a couple of other friends, all lived in one condo on Margate Street in Encino, CA. The Margate house was the go-to spot for everyone; our tree house. So, for lack of a better idea, we just went with our street name.

2. How did this band get started?

Sitting around watching The Big Lebowski over and over again while playing acoustic guitars. A few friends, a few song ideas, many 12 packs, a daily regimen of medication, a couple of black eyes and a lockout studio.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Wow, many bands, but to name some…The Police, Bad Religion, The Ramones, Misfits, Foo Fighters, Weezer, NoFX, Lagwagon, Beach Boys, The Beatles and Bob Marley n the Wailers. Oh, and can’t forget Andy Williams n Company.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be
and why?

The Ramones, The Clash and The Police in the 70’s/ early 80’s. Just to be playing with bands like that in a time when music was being ripped apart and remolded would be awesome! To tell you the truth, I think the time of ripping apart and remolding music is on the rise again. Long live music from the heart and not for fame.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

I’d want to be Chris Farley’s little pet from Tommy Boy. No, not David Spade, but the furry little pet; so he would love me and squeeze me and call me naughty hahahaha.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because our music comes from the soul and that’s what really it should all be about. Not the fame or fortune, but the soul. Our music can be happy, angry, sad, uplifting, healing, or inspiring. Music you can throw on whatever mood you’re in.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

I think our song “Time & Time Again”. It’s all over the place, crazy time signature changes, vocal harmonies and melt your face rocking. I don’t think we could even play it on the easy level of Rock Band, way different than the real thing. HA!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I would thank the band members for giving it their all and then some. We have worked so hard and have come a long way. Our loved ones for their support and, of course, the fans. Also would thank the struggle that made it all worth it when we succeed. If it was an easy road the fruit of our labor wouldn’t taste as good.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I don’t think I would change anything. At this point the major labels have lost the strong grip they once had and DIY never meant so much. The power is in our hands to record, produce, distribute, make band merch, promote, make videos and have them be seen, heard and bought by the world. It’s an exciting time for the small labels and those willing to work to make things happen. It’s not easy but it’s a wide open industry that is now being redefined every day.

10. Memorable tour experience?
After a year of being in the studio recording our last album, On The Other Side, our first show date started at the Vans Warped tour in San Diego and then we rocked LA that same night for our CD release show. Two amazing shows in one day was a great welcome back to the road. That and when our roadie Mikey told us the mushrooms he took hours earlier were kicking in while he was driving us through the desert. It was like a scene from Fear n Loathing hahaha. At least we were almost to our destination. Kids… don’t do drugs and drive.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means Absolutepunk.net duh??!! No really, it’s a place to find out about new bands and, to us, is a great way to get our music and news heard by the masses. Thanks AP.net!

12. What is your favorite song to play?

“Dueling skin flutes”, HA!
Collectively it’s hard to say. All three members have different favorite songs to play.
For Steve(Bass,Vocals) it’s “Time & Time Again.”
For Doug(Guitar,Vocals) it’s “Rising.”
For me, Alex(Drums,Lead Vocals) it’s “Unchecked Aggression”.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I personally love being in the mountains in the winter, spring or summer for fishing, mountain sports and just being in nature. Can’t beat that. Unless of course a Las Vegas romp is in the plans. We all love Vegas!

14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Lightning fast transport of us and gear so we could play anywhere in the world without dealing with the airlines and travel time. If you see our “ Believe In Steve” music video on Youtube, you’ll see that our bass player, Steve, was born into a Super Hero family. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWbspoCAkys

15. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

Made it?? Two full length albums, countless shows, touring, radio airplay, festivals and movie placements…we’re almost there. This band has for sure come a long way and has had great achievements. I think we are just about to get over that hump where we will finally be at a point where we can support ourselves through our music and quit our day jobs.

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Fans are always asking if we’re from England, but we started the band in Encino, CA. Most people think we are from Margate, England, because of the band name. When we released our Album in the UK one review even said something like “The boys will be back with us soon to keep the rock going once they get done touring the States.” HAHAHA!

17. What's your favorite holiday?

Margate Rocks Day!! January 28th 2011 will be our first annual Margate Rocks Day. Mark your calendars! Put on your Margate gear, get drunk, be merry and blast Margate music out of your speakers all day. Maybe rock out at a Margate show if we’re playing near you or play our "Live From Room 57" video series (which launches Dec 10th) all day and we’ll rock you at home (http://www.youtube.com/MargateRocks).

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?

HA! What spare time??

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Besides making all our gear and band fit perfectly into our tour SUV, we are serious tight rope walkers and do a mean balancing act. Besides that we do everything for our band from graphic design and video editing to recording and mixing. We can also eat and drink like we invented both.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:34 PM on 12/09/10
Timdiesagain
trebomit
User Info.
i believe in steve. keep rocking dudes. never stop!
10:34 AM on 12/13/10
DougCrimescene
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks Tim!... Doug & Margate

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT