AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Us, From Outside, The - Inspired By The Threat Of... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 5.5
Production 6.75
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 4.75
Final Verdict: 54%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 85%

Us, From Outside, The - Inspired By The Threat Of...

Reviewed by: Handraa (12/16/10)
Us, From Outside - Inspired By The Treat Of Failure
Release Date: April 27, 2010
Record Label: Tragic Hero Records

By now we all know this thing we call the "scene" is dead. It is filled with dozens of metalcore bands stretching the chug chug formula as far as possible. They all look the same, sound the same and usually can find them all together. Just check out Rise Records and Tragic Hero Records rosters (among others). Us, From Outside are just one of Tragic Hero's contributions to this mess.

"Who Saves the Savior?" is the first track from Inspired by the Threat of Failure and one thought ran through my mind. "A Skylit Drive 2.0?" It is clear that vocalist Michael can belt, and vocalist/keys Tommy can't scream. It sounds like he's trying to be the next Austin Carlilse and just falls way short. Without the instrumentation to back him up, (see the beginning of "I'm Not Locked In Here With You, You're Trapped In Here With Me") he sounds even worse and doesn't play a major role in the band. You hear him pop up in random spots, and after a while it becomes a nuisance. Us, From Outside do see that Michael can sing and lets that shine in most of the tracks, but especially "I Will Smash Your Face In" (scene title ftw!). The instrumentation is pretty good, but sometimes they try too hard to incorporate the screams into the mix (see the breakdown in "I Will Smash Your Face In"). The guitarist and drummer work well to create a heavy and hectic environment for the clean vocalist to come in and calm everything down and it creates a nice combination (see "I'm Not Opposed To Getting Hit By A Car"). Yes, these are all things we have seen before but it works well for U,FO. The first single "I Thought You'd Be Dead By Now" defiantly shines, and is one of the better songs on the album. "Smile Princess, You're Perfect" is also another stand out on the album, showing us that vocalist Tommy can sing a little also. Maybe Us, From Outside should capitalize on that?

Inspired by the Threat of Failure is nothing new by any means, and is a mediocre release at best. Us, From Outside displayed some small qualities that this band can do something great. The instrumentation is great, but itís up to the vocalist to figure out what to do next. Hopefully on the next attempt they'll take the screaming into consideration and maybe change they're route and breakout from the metalcore nitch. If they're going to do it, the time is now.

R0fL Rulez D00dWe Came As Romans, Woe Is Me, A Skylit Drive, The "This Is A Family" Tour roster

http://www.myspace.com/usfromoutsidepa

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
12:33 PM on 12/26/10
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Reviews a little rusty, I just gave this a listen so I could try to get back into the swing of things.
03:13 PM on 12/27/10
DCART
@DylanCarty
User Info.
ugh i saw these guys at a tiny venue with like 60 kids. they kept on singing to their girlfriends who pretended to like their music..and live, the clean vocalist cannot sing a lick.
10:05 AM on 12/29/10
Of A Machines
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
cd is good
05:56 PM on 01/09/11
ipodanthony
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
*Austin Carlile
Options
More From This Author