Password

Album Review

Lansdowne - Leaving Boston [EP] Album Cover

Lansdowne - Leaving Boston [EP]

Reviewed by
Lansdowne - Leaving Boston [EP]
Release Date: June 2006
Record Label: Unsigned

From the murky whirlpool of bands tagged with that funky word, "unsigned," it seems to take a bigger and bigger effort from the bands to distinguish the contenders from the pretenders. Bands are forced to squeeze more and more out of the ever-shrinking wallet in the hopes of putting an EP or full-length on someone's desk that will blow them away. Lansdowne is one of those bands. The Boston quartet is only a year old, but their music expresses maturity well beyond their years. With their EP, Leaving Boston, they have made an indelible mark on this reviewer's memory. Continued perseverance and creative advancement will put Lansdowne on the map in a big way.

Initially, the most striking element of Leaving Boston is the vocals. Jon Ricci sings with the musical presence of Johnny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls, displaying a smooth delivery that simply melts into your ears. Lansdowne's mix of soothing pop music layered over antagonistic instrumentals provides the perfect balance for their five-song adventure. "Leaving Boston" is a clear standout as Ricci's restless lyrics carry this down-tempo sing-along. While the vocals and lyrics are excellent on this EP, "Can't See" shows that Lansdowne isn't just a one-dimensional band, featuring Shaun Lichtenstein's guitar riffs that can't help but sizzle from your speakers. After raising the amps to 10 with "Can't See," the moody "Amidst the Gray" brings everyone back to Earth. "I don't need permission/from the sun to start my day," Ricci insists; given the darker edge to the EP, listeners will agree, Lansdowne seems to thrive in the unknown.

What will it take to get this band on the map? A lot more enthusiastic critics (and label executives) would be a good start. Leaving Boston is a fantastic radio-ready rock EP that sounds ready to trigger a huge creative leap in the near future. The one thing they could improve a bit on is structure; some of the songs blend together at times, and while they seem to have both the heavy and softer sides covered, it would be interesting to hear them expand into rougher fare as well as a piano ballad or two when the time comes. Boston has no lack of great bands, but very few leave the lasting impression of Lansdowne.

Buy Lansdowne's Leaving Boston on iTunes

Track List01. Hour in Between
02. Leaving Boston
03. Can't See
04. Amidst the Gray
05. Defy the Universe
Listen to LansdowneMyspace
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
10:35 PM on 01/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Awesome dudes...I can see this band going places.
11:04 PM on 01/29/07
sirensiren
FTSK '08!
User Info.
true that
01:52 AM on 01/30/07
ZooTVforall
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes! They have their big One-Year Anniversary show this Saturday, and I can't wait :o) The CD is really amazing, but seeing them live is a whole other experience...you would think they were a hardcore band with all the spins and moving and crazy shit that I can't even explain. Siren have you been to a show yet??
04:48 AM on 01/30/07
ilovebsb
Yes! They have their big One-Year Anniversary show this Saturday, and I can't wait :o) The CD is really amazing, but seeing them live is a whole other experience...you would think they were a hardcore band with all the spins and moving and crazy shit that I can't even explain. Siren have you been to a show yet??

yeah i think of them like this... they do all those moves that fall out boy does but manage to pull it off by being able to play their instruments fine at the same time. They're a very fun band to watch live.
10:47 AM on 01/30/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
sounds intriguing. nice review.
11:31 AM on 01/30/07
Blead021
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Why do you try and make the review sound fancy? It just ends up making it sound cheap and makes it seem as if you don't know how to write. I feel like you are just trying to use big words so that you can sound like you know what you are talking about, but you are using too many of them and it makes you sound like you are trying too hard.
12:10 PM on 01/30/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Why do you try and make the review sound fancy? It just ends up making it sound cheap and makes it seem as if you don't know how to write. I feel like you are just trying to use big words so that you can sound like you know what you are talking about, but you are using too many of them and it makes you sound like you are trying too hard.
1) It's called vocabulary. "It is a good album. You will like it." does not make for an engaging review.

2) Write your own user review and teach us how it is done.
12:56 PM on 01/30/07
xtinaface
ROCKFORHEALTH.ORG
User Info.
These are a FANTASTIC group of guys :)

congrats boys.
03:27 PM on 01/30/07
taxonpraxis
writes the wrong
User Info.
this ep is awesome. glad someone finally put a review up for it. they definetely remind me a little bit of the goo goo dolls.

great review for a great band.
07:17 PM on 01/30/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review Tony. Makes me miss living in Boston.
07:38 PM on 01/30/07
PaintMeBlue
Binary Solo!
User Info.
i think i'll have to check this out
09:49 PM on 01/30/07
roxy
Yeah we really got lucky
User Info.
Nice review Tony, plus thanks for making me listen to them. I hate it when you're right.
05:15 PM on 10/16/07
sirensiren
FTSK '08!
User Info.
haha i'm kind of in the band now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version