Password

Album Review

Frank Turner - Rock & Roll EP Album Cover

Frank Turner - Rock & Roll EP

Reviewed by
Frank Turner - Rock & Roll EP
Release Date: December 16, 2010
Record Label: Xtra Mile Recordings
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Frank Turner is not nearly as popular in America as he should be. He's very popular in the United Kingdom, as you would expect because he is English they are sometimes much smarter than we are. But really, America has no mainstream rock star and in my ideal world, Turner would be that ever-adored star. He is the most rocking and rolling musician that I listen to from this generation of music. As Turner once wrote in an autobiography, "I found out that folk music can be more punk than punk, and I found my voice."

He certainly has. After two critically acclaimed and independently adored releases in the form of 2008's Love Ire & Song and 2009's Poetry of the Deed, Turner continues his high output with his Rock & Roll EP. Five new Frank Turner songs is a great Christmas gift, in fact better than a lot of gifts I have received in my life.

Opener "I Still Believe" shows a bit of a new sound in Turner's full band repertoire, but nothing that is too drastic of a change. As Turner described to a roomful of sweaty, beardy punks at The Fest, the song is an homage to the bands that have influenced him the most. He references a good amount of bands, although none of them are the ones he holds in highest regard, like Bruce Springsteen or The Clash. Still, though, the song is an extremely uplifting and fun listen as a lighthearted piano riff gets things moving right from the beginning of this EP.

"Pass It Along" plays out like a Love Ire & Song b-side and might be the weakest track on this release. But really, picking the worst out of these five songs is like picking which of these kitties is the least cute. The song is pretty slow but as usual, Turner kills it lyrically. The end of the song, when the band kicks in, is a fantastic moment. Turner is perhaps at his best in his short outbursts, and "Rock and Roll Romance" proves this notion. Nothing is more punk than just writing something that gives listeners an absolute WTF moment, and the first lines of this song fit that bill perfectly. "You and I could have a rock and roll romance / We could fuck in our clothes / And we could sleep in our pants / And I could crash at yours and you could crash at mine / And we could stay in bed 99% of the given time." Well, that's Turner for you.

"To Absent Friends" is an adrenaline-filled number that plays out harder than any other song on the EP and will probably be a sight to behold live. "The Next Round" is, as the title gives away, a drinking song. It's slow but it's a good story presented in lyrical form, and it's probably excellent to listen to near the end of a long hard night of being with great company.

If I was as punk as Frank Turner is, my review would have consisted of one sentence: "This is fucking good music." But I'm not that punk, so I wrote 500 words about Rock & Roll instead of five. But that's okay. Nothing is more punk than doing what you want, and I wanted to write this review. Frank Turner definitely does whatever he wants, and he's a lot better at it than I am at pretty much everything. Here's to hoping that Turner never stops doing what he wants. Music is a better place with him.

Recommended If You LikeThe idea of someone being sent from the punk rock universe into the folk universe to kill folk music but instead he ended up liking it a lot so now he plays that instead and he's really good at it.
Follow Me On TwitterWho would have thought that after all, it was rock and roll?
Bare Essentials1. I Still Believe
2. Pass It Along
3. Rock and Roll Romance
4. To Absent Friends
5. The Next Round
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars
Run Time: 17.3 minutes
AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
05:09 AM on 12/23/10
lgfuad82
Ender will save us all
User Info.
Will make it my first post-christmas purchase.

Love, Ire... is a fantastic album.

Frank Turner is the best lyricist around.

Another great review.
06:19 AM on 12/23/10
bdonne07
User Info.
Will make it my first post-christmas purchase.

Love, Ire... is a fantastic album.

Frank Turner is the best lyricist around.

Another great review.

Wow, agreed on all terms. I will also be picking this up asap. Love, Ire, and Song is amazing. Poetry disappointed a little, but solid still. I've seen Frank a few times live, most recently with full band opening for Social Distortion. He stole the show. He was engaging. You could tell barely anyone knew him at the beginning. By the end of his 8 song set, he had completely won over the crowd.

Nice review. Made me want this EP.
07:14 AM on 12/23/10
Jaded87
Sweetness, i was only joking
User Info.
I loved sleep is for the week and love, ire and song but, i could never get into poetry of the deed. However this new EP is ace.
07:27 AM on 12/23/10
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Quote:
The idea of someone being sent from the punk rock universe into the folk universe to kill folk music but instead he ended up liking it a lot so now he plays that instead and he's really good at it.

Might be my favorite quote about Frank. =D
07:46 AM on 12/23/10
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
I do think Frank Turner is the most talented person around, and a wicked cool guy to talk to.
Love, Ire, and Song is flawless, and I don't I've ever legitimately cried at a song before I heard "Long Live the Queen."
89% is solid, great EP.
08:52 AM on 12/23/10
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Great EP. Great Man
09:21 AM on 12/23/10
cshadows2887
User Info.
Love this EP.
09:21 AM on 12/23/10
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
He's very popular in the United Kingdom, as you would expect because he is English they are sometimes much smarter than we are.

Just needs fixing.

And isn't like Bruce or even Bono an American mainstream rock star?
10:13 AM on 12/23/10
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I remember seeing Frank a few years ago opening up for the Revival Tour. Blew everyone away.
10:44 AM on 12/23/10
katiedontcryx41
we found our own reasons to sing
User Info.
this EP is stellar.
11:11 AM on 12/23/10
Jukebox Romeo
User Info.
Probably my favorite EP of 2010. Love this man. The "I Still Believe" video is great as well, makes me wish I was in it.
11:54 AM on 12/23/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
santa hat kitty was definitely the least cute.
11:55 AM on 12/23/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Might be my favorite quote about Frank. =D
I can't take full credit. He says something along those lines about himself at some shows haha.
I do think Frank Turner is the most talented person around, and a wicked cool guy to talk to.
Love, Ire, and Song is flawless, and I don't I've ever legitimately cried at a song before I heard "Long Live the Queen."
89% is solid, great EP.
Man that song...pure poetry....
Just needs fixing.

And isn't like Bruce or even Bono an American mainstream rock star?
They aren't really of this generation. Springsteen stepped to the plate with Thunder Road to be the rock star of that generation...after Bob Dylan was fading out of the mainstream. Even with recent releases, Springsteen's stardom has turned gracefully into absolute legend. And as for Bono....well he might as well be a political presence instead of a rock star. U2 is past its better years and he is more of a political and social mover, which is sort of what the world needs him for. He has a lot of power.
I remember seeing Frank a few years ago opening up for the Revival Tour. Blew everyone away.
Man he absolutely owns crowds. He's a fucking hero.
03:56 PM on 12/23/10
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
One album ahead, the final refrains from Poetry of the Deed get to me every time.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos