Password

Album Review

A Day's Past - The Median Among Men Album Cover

A Day's Past - The Median Among Men

Reviewed by
A Day’s PastThe Median Among Men
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 15, 2010
At first listen, the Lawrenceville, GA septet seems to mix soft piano with the raw power of distorted guitars along with tons of double bass pedal action from their drummer. I came upon this album from searching around MySpace aimlessly clicking looking for some new unsigned post-hardcore bands. This EP really stood out from the other bands I listened to, simply because of the soft introduction song named “Laylah”.

To get into the 7 song EP, as I stated before, “Laylah” will definitely set this band apart from the rest of the bands out there releasing EPs, as usually I’ve heard the hardest and best song they’ve got in front and it sucking. But this solo from the pianist is simply inventive and a very beautiful masterpiece in my opinion. The next song on the album “Valefor” seems to step it above “Laylah” by adding some of the band’s screaming and double bass, as well as following a template very similarly to other bands such as Attack Attack! with less electronica and much better clean vocals. As far as I know, there is no auto tune or it was used perfectly because it sounds good throughout the EP. The next song is Temperance, which seems to bring it up to the next level, starting out with an angelic refrain and stepping up the musicianship of the guitars, showing more of their skills.

Personally, I believe “Asteroth” is the best song on the EP. It reminds me of a local band I know of, which isn’t so local anymore, VersaEmerge along with other Post-Hardcore bands mixed together with how it begins with a soft piano track. The true potential of the screamer is shown here with well-timed double bass action with the screamer’s screaming being one of the only voices heard throughout the song. This song will probably make you head bang, even for a second. The piano music throughout the song adds to the mood of the song, showing you that this is a band with promise.

The EP just keeps getting harder with the song “Gabriel”. In my opinion, at about this song, I noticed that some of the songs of the album were named after biblical figures and locations with the next songs being “Abaddon” and “Cain & Abel”. Gabriel continues the hardcore legacy of Asteroth, with an ear-hooking chorus from the clean vocalist, his voice seemingly a white light throughout the hardcore dark. This melds in perfectly with the standard guitar. Unfortunately, if you don’t really listen to this album in full, it may seem like the entire EP is just the same song, but it is broken up with beautiful piano compositions that really give a break from the distortion, but at “Cain & Abel”, the pianist is given another chance to show off his beautiful talent, ending with a beautiful composition that will leave you wanting to like their Facebook page.

But to conclude this review, I must say that this new band, formed only in April of 2010, has really impressed me. I will definitely be watching them in the future and I hope you all too. They do have a lot of promise and if they can expand on the soft piano and hardcore genre, they can really make a name for themselves. This 7 song EP is definitely a multi-listener on my iPod and needs to be listened to in full to get the full effect that A Day’s Past was trying to convey.

Recommended If You LikeVersaEmerge; Attack Attack!; Soft Piano/Post-Hardcore Rock
This review is a user submitted review from ohhichris. You can see all of ohhichris's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
06:29 PM on 01/16/11
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
A great review and a great EP.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles