AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Owen - 01.16.07

Owen - 01.16.07

Interviewed by
Owen - 01.16.07Given that bands such as Lifetime and Texas Is The Reason have reunited lately is there a chance we'll see a Cap N Jazz reunion?

I doubt it. I actually don't know where Victor the guitar player is. Even if we found him I don't think we'd get together anyway. But yeah, I doubt it.

What made you want to start to play music?

I don't know. My brother started to play music andwould practice in the basement. While I was upstairsplaying video games I always wished I was down there playing music. That's when I started to learn to play instruments.

What was your reaction like when you heard about Max Bemis' reply to what your brother said in Alternative Press?

I thought it was kind of funny. Tim was obviously being a little tongue in cheek and he sort of didn't understand that and made a real passionate and aggressive argument. Then it sort of validated everything Tim was saying kind of then he thought he was making some brash statements. He was actually making an ass of himself. That's just my opinion, it was all funny. I thought the whole thing played out pretty funny.

The projects you've worked on with Tim did you guys generally see eye to eye on things?

Generally we did not see eye to eye on things. I think we're both somewhat attracted to what the other person brings. He definitely brings a different way of thinking of music to the table, and about every year I think we both have a desire to sort of have someone else have an influence over us and what we're doing. Then we sort of retreat back to our own things. It's like that outlet, so every couple of years we'll make a Joan Of Arc record or something new comes out.

What about touring do you not enjoy because you've said your interest of being on the road is digressing?

I'm married now and I turn 30 in a couple of months, so it's harder and harder to leave my own bed. I get in routines at home where I look forward to making dinner and I have my T.V. Shows and stuff. It's the little comfort things that I miss.

After you released I Do Perceive you talked about doing an instrumental album and a side project named Shirts And Skins. Do you still have plans for either of these projects?

Yeah, Definitely. Actually there was an Owen concept on this website and I wrote an instrumental thing for it. That sort of inspired me to want to write more instrumentally. I think there's still a plan, it's sort of when I have time. Shirts And Skins is a band with me and my wife. There's about 4 and a half songs written, so maybe an EP's worth. Hopefully something can come out in the summer with Shirts And Skins.

In previous interviews you've mentioned that you thought about getting a full time band together
despite your disinterest in band practice. Have you given the notion of starting a full time band any more thought?

Yeah, it's sort of in the works slowly. I kind of have people lined up already, it's just a matter of
working out schedules and working out if they wanna do it and really not get paid too much money.

If you could work with one artist dead or alive who would it be?

I've been asked this before and I've always said the guitar player from the band The Sundays. He was like a real inspiration. He sort of ripped off Johnny Marr a lot, but I think he had his own way of doing it. I was definitely a huge fan of The Sundays for many years. So i guess I'll stick with that. David Gavurin is his name, from The Sundays.

You had a part in 4 releases of 2006. Which was the most fulfilling project you helped create in 2006?

I think At Home With Owen took the most time. I was so happy with the way that turned out.

Out of everything you've done musically which are you most proud of?

A couple of Cap N' Jazz Songs, a couple of Joan Of Arc songs, a couple of American Football songs, and a couple of Owen Songs. I feel like I sort of convey what was trying to get conveyed. I think a lot of them fell short either arrangement wise or lyrically. Somehow most of them fell a little short, but I thin there's a couple of them that should have worked.

When writing, what's your biggest inspiration?

Usually just the people I see out. I can sit home for a week straight watching TV and not be inspired to write. Then I'll go out one night and sort of be social and pay attention to all the interactions. Usually I come home with a head full of thoughts.

What was it like going into a studio to work on At Home With Owen after working on most of your past Owen material at your mothers?

It was wonderful. It's sort of like you're making steak at home and you think its REALLY good, but then you go to a steak house and you realize all the little details add up and make it even better. It was sort of like that, going to work with my cousin Nate Kinsella and then I went to a the studio called Engine in Chicago. I worked with Brian Deck, and after 3 days of hanging out with him I feel like I learned more than I have in the past 4 years; about engineering or recording wise. So it was definitely worthwhile.

Is there a chance we'll see new Owen or Joan OfArc material this year?

I'm not quite sure about Joan Of Arc. I know Tim's putting out a solo record that's coming out now or just came out. Usually Joan Of Arc stuff comes out of that material, so a whole lot of it has been used already. Owen, Yeah. I have a whole albums worth of songs we just have to get to the studio and record. Ideally, next fall there will be a new Owen record, but that might be too soon. Also, hopefully Shirts And Skins will put out a 7 inch this summer.

Future tour plans?

Yeah, Friday I leave for Japan for 10 days. In the spring I'm heading out with Rocky Votolato for about 2 weeks; I'm opening for him on the East coast. I'm used to playing with all these rock bands, so it'll be nice to play with a quieter singer/songwriter type thing.

Which tour did you consider the best tour you were apart of in 2006?

That's a hard question. I guess financially, I got home from opening up for Copeland for about 5 or 6 weeks. So I mean that was fun and a worthwhile tour. Last spring I went out with a band called The Snake The Cross The Crown and we're good friends. I got to drive in the van and stuff and that was a totally different kind of tour, where we were playing for 50 people a night instead of 500 people every night. It was fun in a different type of way. You could do something different every time you left the house. I feel like they're all kind of worth while and fun in there own way.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
04:39 PM on 02/02/07
ByelineCole
Uninterested User
User Info.
awesome interview. very interesting.
04:53 PM on 02/02/07
shwagtm
Cool Hat!
User Info.
i laughed. i cried. i loved it.
10:01 PM on 02/02/07
xearlynovemberx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For the record the website he is talking about isn't absolutepunk. I wasnt able to hear what he said so I wrote that down!
10:51 PM on 02/02/07
Broken Parachute
...and somehow I survived
User Info.
Great interview.
11:09 PM on 02/02/07
Tristan Needler
This is forever.
User Info.
For the record the website he is talking about isn't absolutepunk. I wasnt able to hear what he said so I wrote that down!
What do you mean?

Good interview though. I should read these things more often haha.
11:13 PM on 02/02/07
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
i actually just got the Owen cd. i have been listening to capnjazz a lot lately
11:39 PM on 02/02/07
xearlynovemberx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What do you mean?

Good interview though. I should read these things more often haha.

If you notice about the third or 4th question in he mentions something about doing an instrumental thing for a website... i was just letting everyone know he didnt mean ap
12:04 AM on 02/03/07
Tristan Needler
This is forever.
User Info.
If you notice about the third or 4th question in he mentions something about doing an instrumental thing for a website... i was just letting everyone know he didnt mean ap
Oh, I got it. Too bad it isn't haha.
11:33 AM on 02/04/07
kbauer
BOAN.
User Info.
I seen him with I Can Make A Mess..., like a year ago already and he was kind of a dick to the crowd and killed the atmosphere, but I still think hes a damn good muscian. I missed the Copeland tour but I heard he was really good on that.
03:42 PM on 02/06/07
ByelineCole
Uninterested User
User Info.
someone please track down Victor.
08:06 AM on 02/08/07
thewk
Bringing It All Back Home
User Info.
great interview. full of incitement.
08:32 AM on 02/08/07
kylelation
User Info.
i love mike kinsella
08:48 PM on 02/17/07
Tim McCall
TBD
User Info.
This is the best interview on AP.net hands down. Thank you for asking my questions. I haven't talked to Mike in about 2 years and it was great to hear him update the status of his other projects.
10:45 AM on 02/26/07
Daydream Radio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Victor is allegedly working on new Noyes material according to his record label Sixgunlover. No word on when a record will be released but a new song exists here:

www.myspace.com/noyess

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version