AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The The Snake Cross Crown News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Weekly Nostalgia: The Snake the Cross the Crown

Posted by - 08:01 AM on 12/29/10
There are few bands that are short lived that really make an impact in our personal musical journey. They're usually part of fads or trends and end up just being another disc collecting dust in our collection. Then there's a band like The Snake the Cross the Crown. A band backed by hype with an even bigger payoff. With a great EP and two solid releases under their belt, the band has disappeared since the release of 2007's Cotton Teeth. There's no evidence of hiatus or a break-up, but rather a limbo of whether the band will ever return with new music. In October of 2009, the band's label, Equal Vision Records, released a documentary, On a Carousel of Sound, We Go Round. It is not only the insight as to why we may never see the band on the road or possibly in the studio ever again, it is an intimate look at a band struggling to overcome not only outside pressures, but internal struggles with touring and continuing to create music. Easily one of the best documentaries I've seen in some time, it is a sad reminder that some bands can possess so much talent and never make it, while others forge past with the worst of chops. It would seem that the future of the band is uncertain at this point, but at least they left behind a short impact of creativity and worth I will never stop coming back to.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 52
08:10 AM on 12/29/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
User Info.
I loved these guys, Cotton Teeth was incredible. Equal Vision needs some more talent like this now.
08:17 AM on 12/29/10
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I loved these guys, Cotton Teeth was incredible. Equal Vision needs some more talent like this now.
Truth...label has gone downhill lately (with some exceptions).
08:20 AM on 12/29/10
hardpill
Get Well Incentive
User Info.
Every release from these guys have been stellar and something to look forward to. I didn't realize there was a documentary, could somebody that's in the know sum up what's going on with them?
08:20 AM on 12/29/10
AFSjulian
I am your big brother.
User Info.
Liked Cotton Teeth, but still find myself rocking their original EP. "Burning Old Stories" is a really excellent tune.
08:24 AM on 12/29/10
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love mander salis most of all, but cotton teeth and like a moth before a flame were both great releases as well.
08:29 AM on 12/29/10
neo506
thy foes profanely rage
User Info.
I miss these guys
08:31 AM on 12/29/10
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
Equal Vision used to be my favorite label. TSTCTC's Cotton Teeth was a favorite of mine, but unfortunately music like that isn't around anymore.

Everything is glossed over and they want "perfection", while I don't mind hearing the flaws of bands. I don't want everything I hear to be polished.
08:36 AM on 12/29/10
InMyLife
User Info.
One of my favorite bands of all time! Glad I got to see them at least a few times live before they vanished.
08:36 AM on 12/29/10
jamesc7
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great band and had the pleasure of touring with them 5 - 6 years ago. Awesome gents as well. You could see it coming sadly. The harder they worked, the better they got, the less people payed attention to..... They weren't "scene" enough and had no swoopy hair cuts.
08:57 AM on 12/29/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
User Info.
Truth...label has gone downhill lately (with some exceptions).
Though mostly downhill, especially considering they lost Circa and Portugal. Hoping Gatsby gets them on the right track to bringing back innovative bands.
09:03 AM on 12/29/10
MondayMourning
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great band and had the pleasure of touring with them 5 - 6 years ago. Awesome gents as well. You could see it coming sadly. The harder they worked, the better they got, the less people payed attention to..... They weren't "scene" enough and had no swoopy hair cuts.
Both of thee are my thoughts exactly. I think the band just happened to be a few years too early. They were doing the "indie" thing before it was actually cool or mainstream to do it, and their sound is more refined and genuine than most any band out now. Really great group of guys, and I'd love to see equal vision not be afraid to try something similar again, even if it didn't work out in their favor the first time around.
09:12 AM on 12/29/10
vintagejoe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Easily one of my favorite bands probably till i die. much love<3
09:17 AM on 12/29/10
Iownaps3
User Info.
Sadly, I got into these guys last year, I was really looking forward to a long career of amazing music from these dudes, I'm still waiting. Good choice for nostalgic sake!
09:28 AM on 12/29/10
mycuban
hermits.bandcamp.com
User Info.
i listened to them just the other day, they were a great band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos