Album Review

Daytrader - Last Days of Rome Album Cover

Daytrader - Last Days of Rome

Reviewed by
DaytraderLast Days of Rome
Record Label: Run for Cover Records
Release Date: January 18, 2011

Last Days of Rome
will be a refreshing release for a lot of people. Daytrader might be made up of (former) members of Crime In Stereo, Latterman, The Motorcycle Industry, Bridge and Tunnel and Divider, but they’re all about early 2000’s emo here, paying tribute to a time when music had more integrity, honesty, and all that stuff people harp about these days. And I’ll come clean: It’s about time a band revived a style from the earlier half of the decade other than mundane pop-punk with a whopping total of three distinct chord progressions per album (not going to name any names here, but I’m looking at you, New Jersey scene). Examined against the present musical climate, Last Days of Rome is independent, raw and, quite frankly, reinvigorating.

The band nails the emo sound on the album, and with sweeping ardor too. In some songs, wildly yearning, dissonant melodies suggest Further Seems Forever (“Living,” “Last Days of Rome” and “Death Means Nothing to Men Like Me”). In others, pummeling riffs bring to mind Blueprints for the Black Market-era Anberlin (“Kill My Compass”). “Cause I’m the wraith holding the scythe at my own neck,” declares “Death Means Nothing to Men Like Me.” Sounds like they have graphic T-ready lyrics perfected as well.

Now be careful not to get me wrong here – I’m not saying the band has any shortage of originality, because the opposite is true. Every song drops with energy that’s wholly individual. Case in point: the standout number “Grey-Colored Glasses,” which waxes poetic when it describes a storm that destroys everything “from the depths of our young souls to the beaches out at Montauk.” Musically, it sounds like Saves the Day – but then again, nothing by Saves the Day has ever made me shiver.

Daytrader are helping music in 2011 start out right. They’ve bucked the trends in the interest of bona fide tunes (emo may have been trendy a decade ago, but that’s definitely not the case today), and everyone would do well to follow suit. It’s not too late to make that a New Year’s resolution, not when it comes to music. But for Daytrader, it’s sounding a lot less like the last days of Rome (“In the last days of Rome all I see is badlands,” says the title track) and a lot more like the beginning of an entertaining stint.

Recommended If You LikeFurther Seems Forever, early Anberlin, Saves the Day, early 2000's emo

Track list1. Kill My Compass
2. Living
3. Last Days of Rome
4. Grey-Colored Glasses
5. Death Means Nothing to Men Like Me

Find Daytrader on Myspace or Facebook.
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
11:14 PM on 01/04/11
Nyquist Theorem
Love leaves scars.
User Info.
This review has me really interested with the references to Further Seems Forever and various forms of early 2000's emo. Thanks. Will check this out.
12:24 AM on 01/05/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Awesome. This review has made me even more interested in checking this out now.
12:40 AM on 01/05/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Listening to this for the second time now, I really enjoy it...but leave the NJ scene alone!
12:47 AM on 01/05/11
danielineffigy
Calm will find your soul.
User Info.
I'm stoked for this to come out, all the songs I've heard so far are great. I have a feeling the demo is going to remain my favorite though.
12:54 AM on 01/05/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I'm stoked for this to come out, all the songs I've heard so far are great. I have a feeling the demo is going to remain my favorite though.
This is so much better produced that....the demo will not be your favorite anymore. Haha
12:58 AM on 01/05/11
danielineffigy
Calm will find your soul.
User Info.
This is so much better produced that....the demo will not be your favorite anymore. Haha
I like the demo's production though. His vocals sound better on the demo, to me at least.
01:08 AM on 01/05/11
M1ndset
User Info.
fuck ya now I'm excited. great review too. I'm so happy with all the bands on run for cover records and where they are taking punk music.
01:13 AM on 01/05/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ep kicks ass from the 2 songs i've heard, reminds me of bayside but doesn't sound copycat.

i looked everywhere trying to buy it but didn't realize it isn't out yet haha... the demo/single will have to suffice. counting down the 2 weeks!
02:04 AM on 01/05/11
Mochem
User Info.
I get the feeling that the whole idea of the current music scene being filled with meaningless pop garbage is going to be fading away soon. Over the past year or two, band after band (and label after label) has been popping up with material that reminds people of the "good old days." Even though I have seen bands try to ride the coattails of the successful bands of this ilk, knockoffs of a great band are more welcome than knockoffs of a shitty band.
02:26 AM on 01/05/11
nonohjohn
jmh // hth
User Info.
yeah i prefer the songs from the first demo to the two they've released from this ep, but that's just me. hopefully those aren't the best tracks on it. still way stoked for this to come out
05:01 AM on 01/05/11
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
so excited for this
05:49 AM on 01/05/11
Fourchordwonder
This is for dreaming.
User Info.
This is going to be great.
05:58 AM on 01/05/11
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
I'm excited to hear this.
08:03 AM on 01/05/11
TheSlug
User Info.
I like the demo's production though. His vocals sound better on the demo, to me at least.
I agree. And the voice reminds me of bayside too. although I'm not into bayside at all.

Daytrader will enrich the music scene in 2011.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos