AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Title Fight - The Last Thing You Forget Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.58
Lyrics 7.58
Production 6.83
Creativity 6.92
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.08
Average: 74%
Inside AP.net

Title Fight - The Last Thing You Forget

Reviewed by: Aziraphale (01/05/11)
Title Fight - The Last Thing You Forget
Record Label: Run For Cover Records
Release Date: September 2009

It probably isn’t fair to review Title Fight’s first ‘full length’ The Last Thing You Forget in the context of a full album, because that’s not really what it is. The 12 track disc is more of a discography for the band that plays equally like a greatest hits album; featuring four new songs, and supplemented by material spanning four or so years previous, it still clocks in at just under 40 minutes. Consider me impatient, but damnit, Title Fight, you’ve had long enough to get a true full length together, so I’m going to take this as it would appear to a listener much less devoted to the bands history than myself. Luckily for everyone, the twelve songs offered here far from disappoint.

A band that obviously believes in putting their best foot forward, the first track of the album, “Symmetry” is the best song out of the new material, and probably the entire track list. A blazingly fast and masterfully written whirlwind, this is the song to point your friends to if you want to share Title Fight’s raw and undeniably catchy energy. The song features everything that I have come to love about the band; effective use of both Jamie and Ned’s vocals, breakneck tempo changes, and unfiltered, straight-from-the-heart lyrics. If this is any indication the direction the band is going to take, consider me stoked.

Two more new songs follow the opening track, and continue to take the guys in a different, slightly darker direction. “Introvert” starts out with guns blazing, and then scales the tempo back into a moody, reflective vision that eventually unveils the album’s title as the main focus of the song. Bassist Ned Russin lets his harsh yell dominate the middle portion before it slips back into obscurity and fades into the third track “No One Stays At the Top Forever” These two tracks operate as a single unit, and really show the versatility the band is capable of, changing from straight up hardcore-influenced fun, to an introspective, emo-tinged number.

The album shifts somewhat uncomfortably into the Kingston EP tracks, which are all stellar and have a much more pop-punk feel. Previous fans will appreciate the throwback to these three high octane rockers, as well as the nostalgia of the rest of the old material which comes all lumped together as the central portion of the record. Following the Kingston tracks, we’re treated to the five tracks Title Fight provided for their split album with The Erection Kids (worst name ever), including what was previously my favorite Title Fight song, “Neck Deep”.

The Last Thing You Forget ends with one last taste of fresh punk in “Western Haikus” The two-minute romper seems like an island trapped all the way at the end of the record, separated from the rest of the new material. With that said, it feels nothing like the three opening songs, so placing it within that trio would have detracted more from all four. It is here I find the only real problem with the record, in that it isn’t really a complete record at all. All twelve tracks are stellar and immensely enjoyable, but the band fails to really get a complete thought across due to the majority of the material having been written over a three or four year period. Whether or not this should count against the band is arguable, because they truly have done the best with what they have. At some point, however, there needs to be an effort to create a complete work, something Title Fight has yet to achieve.

When all said and done, The Last Thing You Forget delivers an extremely solid three-piece mini-album, followed by an all-star track list of nearly everything the band has released in the past. While not a true full-length in terms of completeness, Title Fight offers almost 40 minutes of some of the best, most genuine punk music heard in the last few years. And that, for most listeners, will truly be the last thing you forget.

Recommended If You Likehappy, catchier versions of Verse, Bane, pop punk, hardcore

myspace.com/titlefight

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
08:48 PM on 01/10/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Good to see a review for this.
09:28 PM on 01/10/11
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Great review. Neck Deep, Loud and Clear, Symmetry, Youreyeah and Memorial Field are my favorites.
09:48 PM on 01/10/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I'm also happy there's a review for this. Great, great record.
10:36 AM on 01/11/11
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah Title Fight are some of my favorite dudes out there right now, and I noticed there wasn't a review for this yet. Thanks for reading guys!
03:13 PM on 01/15/11
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
User Info.
Jamie isnt the bassist. Thats Ned, and Title Fight dont sound like Bane or Verse at all. Also the overall tone of the album is pretty sad and fits the winter really well, so i don't necessarily agree with the happy part, but this is a good review and I agree with most of it.
07:59 AM on 01/16/11
mysensesfailed3
AP.Net's Resident AtoZ Fan
User Info.
Jamie isnt the bassist. Thats Ned, and Title Fight dont sound like Bane or Verse at all. Also the overall tone of the album is pretty sad and fits the winter really well, so i don't necessarily agree with the happy part, but this is a good review and I agree with most of it.
^all of this
04:12 PM on 01/16/11
richardliesse
absolutely
User Info.
New full length's coming out this year, if you didn't know. :)
04:12 PM on 01/16/11
richardliesse
absolutely
User Info.
New full length's coming out this year, if you didn't know. :)
04:07 PM on 01/18/11
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

oops, don't know how I got the two mixed up, but it's fixed now. But I don't find how the tone of the album is sad at all. The three new songs at the beginning may be, but all the older material (lyrical content aside) is very upbeat and catchy. THere really isn't a presiding tone to the album at all, because everything was written at very different times. Thanks for the feedback!
02:04 PM on 01/19/11
Paradise Lost
hipster hardcorer
User Info.
never understood the hype for this band tbh
07:50 PM on 01/19/11
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
never understood the hype for this band tbh

I think there's something to be said for the simplicity and honesty that seems to drive this band's music. They seem like they're a band with a goal in mind when they enter the studio, and that results in really tight, focused and enjoyable punk. They don't try to do too much, and stick to what they do well. There also seems like there's big room for progression in their music, which can especially be seen on this disc, so that's something to be excited about for this band. All my opinion of course!
10:23 PM on 01/29/11
headabovewater-
terminally chill
User Info.
that's what's up. title fight isn't one of my favorites but this album is pretty good.
10:20 PM on 02/01/11
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
One of the best pop-punk outfits playing music right now. The leads are great, amazing song structure, the rhythm section is really tight, and the dual vocals really make this CD. Good review by the way.
08:43 PM on 05/30/12
mica182
all time low rules.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
title fight is amazing! i'm happy to actually see a review up for this album :) neck deep is probably my favorite song. can't wait to see them this summer.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests