AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Skylit Drive, A - She Watched the Sky Album Cover

Skylit Drive, A - She Watched the Sky

Reviewed by
A Skylit Drive - She Watched the Sky

A Skylit Drive, the latest signing to Tragic Hero Records, will easily be pigeonholed based on their appearance and record label. And while the obvious tagging of generic screamo is somewhat fitting, the band manages to stay above mediocrity throughout most of their debut EP.

Straight from the beginning of “She Watched the Sky” A Skylit Drive could be labeled as a slightly restrained version of Alesana that steals equally from Drop Dead, Gorgeous and Saosin. Based on that statement, you’ll already know if you’re gonna like this or if you shouldn’t bother. The biggest problem with A Skylit Drive is easily apparent from the beginning of “Drown the City” and lasts throughout the entire album. That problem is that just about every song here follows the same medium paced structure, making the album just plod along. It just honestly feels that the band is holding themselves back. Just about every song has the potential to explode on the listener and just about every song fizzes out by the end without leaving a lasting mark. It just gets to the point where it becomes a let down song after song.

However, while the bands restraint and medium pacing do hinder their debut, there still are a number of catchy choruses that make at least parts of the EP enjoyable. The production is first-rate, with just about everything sounding polished and superior to most of the genre’s typical, careless production jobs. The vocals, ranging from low pitched growls, screaming, and high pitched singing, is surprisingly respectable, with the occasional line being reminiscent of Anthony Green, while others share more in common with the vocals found on albums by bands like Alesana and Drop Dead, Gorgeous. Musically, the instruments could use a little work, but at least they are respectable.

A Skylit Drive’s “She Watched the Sky” is better than most of the genre’s typical fare, but the band still has some room for improvement. If the band managed to increase the tempo from time to time, then this might be recommendable, but as it is, there are better choices you could make than this band.
This review is a user submitted review from crazytoledo. You can see all of crazytoledo's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
03:53 AM on 02/17/07
Rith
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with most that you said, although, I would give it a higher score.
12:18 PM on 02/18/07
(+)DemiaN(+)
The way to crash
User Info.
Same as the previous post. Totally un-original but extremly enjoyable !
01:01 PM on 02/18/07
Hainzey X
destiny found.
User Info.
There a certain bands that just completly shake up music and make something brand new that blows your mind. Then there are bands that a unoriginal and generic. If your gonna be one of those bands, you have to at least do it well. I feel like ASLD does just that. I don't know where the hell to find they're CD though. Might have to get it on itunes.
08:53 PM on 01/01/08
kevo623
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i must say i like this band alot. their album doesn't do any justice to their live show tho. i saw them with Ocean Is Theory here in Atlanta. both were amazing on stage.
10:34 PM on 07/11/08
Packersfan
User Info.
Even though some of what you wrote was agreeable... this wasnt, "just about every song fizzes out by the end without leaving a lasting mark" what about "Hey Nightmare, Where'd you get Them Teeth"? and "Drown the City"? Two examples contradicting your comment.
I enjoyed this Ep... I would've given it a higher score for sure, around 85-90
08:04 PM on 09/28/08
twaddle1122
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Way better than there new album

i enjoyed every song exept "The All Star Diaries" for some reason it sounded like Dance Gavin Dance to me
10:26 AM on 06/10/09
hXcXsXe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This CD was very good. i enjoyed every song. they all kept me gripped. None of the tracks "fizzled out". Definitely deserves higher.
08:20 PM on 10/27/09
darkfire2484
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
excellent review...at the time (will now too) there lyrics can be worked on
11:02 PM on 04/06/10
AirTraffic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ah, brings back the memories. Hah. I remember overplaying "According To Columbus" to the point where still today I catch myself randomly singing the chorus. I thought this album was great. The best thing about ASD are the epic guitar leads. They really add so much. This will always be my favorite ASD album, even though Jag is a much better singer than Jordan.
12:12 PM on 05/02/10
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Ah, brings back the memories. Hah. I remember overplaying "According To Columbus" to the point where still today I catch myself randomly singing the chorus. I thought this album was great. The best thing about ASD are the epic guitar leads. They really add so much. This will always be my favorite ASD album, even though Jag is a much better singer than Jordan.
I agree, I don't think the band will ever be able to make anything as great as this album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos