Password

Album Review

Aberdien - Kaleidoscope Album Cover

Aberdien - Kaleidoscope

Reviewed by
Aberdien - Kaleidoscope
Record Label - Negative Progression
Release Date - March 14th, 2006

Here’s a toughie. Besides being a bitchy word to spell, Kaleidoscope is equally good as it is lukewarm. Let me explain: In these 10 tracks, Aberdien gives us two lines of thought. The first is all about the instrumentals and relies on ethereal mood-setting guitars, which make for a good bubble bath. Alternating between technically sharp acoustic and electric parts are also the album’s cutesy catcalls, but the attempts at “progressive-ness” wholly fall short. Still, songs like “The Giant Scope” are lasting, well-planned and swirly. The other side of the tag-team is Aberdien’s pop sensibility; this is undeniable when you combine coy boy vocals and peaking bridges. As an intertwining creation, all of Kaleidoscope’s parts are all in the right place. This makes for an upstanding foundation, and on the first way through, Aberdien and I are on the same wavelength.

The album’s higher-range guitar and sharp lines of melody play quarterback, tactful and graceful in each hopping step. There is a touchdown in “Because It Can’t Last,” but tracks like “With Blackened Sights” are incomplete plays. Being from Baltimore, DC/Virginia bands are sometimes seen as unsolicited pockets of talent; the three-dude crew is no exception, but this is all on a local scale. I have a difficult time imaging Aberdien beyond state borders. Contemporaries like Park and Moneen create similar layers but do it a bit better. Not a great case for a new band? Or maybe I’m too quick to judge?

Kaleidoscope is easier to figure out than I am making it. The release is good in its own, self-serving context. But this doesn’t have much pull when cast along other like efforts. Bottom line: Aberdien doesn’t do anything special. The production leans towards a bigness in arrangement and reverberating, secure vocals, but it still feels very basic. I’d like to see Aberdien do more, and for lack of a better cliché, step it up a notch.

RIYLPark, Moneen, Faulter, Somerset
Check It OutAP Profile | Purevolume | Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from Julia Conny. You can see all of Julia Conny's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
05:07 PM on 02/10/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
Great review.
09:24 PM on 02/10/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
They're riding on Anberlin's fame by having similar names!
10:40 PM on 02/10/07
traumalikerain
Ragin Cajun
User Info.
its too bad they are never playing these songs again.
11:20 PM on 02/10/07
TheHeretic
User Info.
its too bad they are never playing these songs again.

I know man. So sad. Such a great band and such an amazing album. They're so talented.
11:25 PM on 02/10/07
thecrowing776
User Info.
Aberdien doesn't do anything special????? What in gods fucking name do you listen to? This album is spectacular.

Album= A+
Review= D-
11:28 PM on 02/10/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Aberdien doesn't do anything special????? What in gods fucking name do you listen to? This album is spectacular.

Album= A+
Review= D-

They don't. Sorry?
11:51 PM on 02/10/07
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
I thought it was a good review, fuck people who can't type.
11:51 PM on 02/10/07
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
You need a new set of ears, this album is amazing
01:30 AM on 02/11/07
(+)DemiaN(+)
The way to crash
User Info.
This album deserves much better than this. Somebody used the word "spectular" before, I think it is very adequate to describe Aberdien.
Writing that Aberdien doesn't have anything special, I just don't understand... Neither do I understand a comparison with Moneen and Park. The dreamy atmosphere Aberdien creates is so rare and unique; the beautiful guitar layers make you float far far away from this world and it is one the greatest feeling music can provide.
The only band that reminded me of Aberdien lately is Akissforjersey, also very good.
It is however true that Kaleidoscope was not as good as what I expected after their previous 3 song EP "Chance, The Avid Dream Alchemist" that was absolutely sublime. Kaleidoscope is still an amazing album, truely unique in the emotions it conveys and I highly recommend it!
04:02 AM on 02/11/07
bricky
there's no "me" in team..
User Info.
This album is wonderful, guitars almost never pitch a chord, they're riffing continuously, too bad for their actual situation.
This band deserves more and also this review is too critical (not even mentioning it's a YEAR late...)
07:46 AM on 02/11/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
This album is wonderful, guitars almost never pitch a chord, they're riffing continuously, too bad for their actual situation.
This band deserves more and also this review is too critical (not even mentioning it's a YEAR late...)

It was reviewed a year late because I took it off another reviewer's hands.
07:48 AM on 02/11/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
This album deserves much better than this. Somebody used the word "spectular" before, I think it is very adequate to describe Aberdien.
Writing that Aberdien doesn't have anything special, I just don't understand... Neither do I understand a comparison with Moneen and Park. The dreamy atmosphere Aberdien creates is so rare and unique; the beautiful guitar layers make you float far far away from this world and it is one the greatest feeling music can provide.
The only band that reminded me of Aberdien lately is Akissforjersey, also very good.
It is however true that Kaleidoscope was not as good as what I expected after their previous 3 song EP "Chance, The Avid Dream Alchemist" that was absolutely sublime. Kaleidoscope is still an amazing album, truely unique in the emotions it conveys and I highly recommend it!

I didn't float anywhere.
09:03 AM on 02/11/07
takeitalltheway
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A girl WOULDN'T understand Aberdien! hahaha, anyone?
09:12 AM on 02/11/07
bankrom
breakin' up.
User Info.

Album= A+
Review= D-

three things:

(a) maybe you shouln't be a prick? maybe.

(b) if you don't like the review, write your own.

(c) refer back to (a).

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version