Password

Album Review

Farewell Fighter - The Way We Learn Album Cover

Farewell Fighter - The Way We Learn

Reviewed by
Farewell Fighter - The Way We Learn
Release Date: January 18, 2011
Record Label: Unsigned
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Are you starting a new semester of school? Stressed out over your new schedule and all of those internships and jobs you haven't heard back from? Are you having trouble getting back into the rhythm of your normal work week following the holidays?

Well then do I have the cure for you. Farewell Fighter's The Way We Learn EP is something of a throwback to times when you didn't have much to worry about. Back to days like senior year of high school when all you worried about was getting to school and basketball practice on time and which girl you were going to date over the summer.

Take the opening lines to standout track "Growing Pains", where vocalist Kenny Fleetwood soars. "Remember when we were young? / We got so good at being bad / We would shake responsibility so carefully / And would protect everything we had." Lyrics like those pepper The Way We Learn as Fleetwood's vocals are a definite point of emphasis. That isn't to undercut Farewell Fighter's musicianship, though.

On short opener "Well Wishing", which leads into "Growing Pains", the band flexes its muscle instrumentally for a bit. They show that even though they may not be doing anything new or strikingly special, they have the capacity to make enjoyable and entertaining instrumental portions, something that even more established pop punk groups can have trouble with.

While this band has been compared somewhat extensively to You, Me, And Everyone We Know, they're really more in the vein of perhaps a poppier Motion City Soundtrack or Taking Back Sunday, at least instrumentally. The almost-sugary vocals are the defining aspect of the group, carrying songs like the bass-centric "Terminal". The YMAEWK comparisons do come out on this EP, however, especially in "Love, Lust, Or Losing It". Fleetwood at times does show stylistic comparisons to You, Me, And Everyone We Know's Ben Leibsch, especially in his lyrical delivery.

"Where I Belong" is probably the band's most pure pop punk song, as it's faster-paced than most of the EP. One of the rare instances of gang vocals on the EP provides a great moment in this song, with the entire band chanting "Let go, let go / Don't sweat the rain / Life's not that bad today." Over a buzzing guitar line and rhythmic drums, that bridge is undoubtedly one of the highlights on The Way We Learn.

The five-and-a-half minute "Golden" proves to be the best song on the EP, however. Being the closer, Farewell Fighter makes it obvious that they're going for a bit extra on this track, and they certainly pull it off. The song starts slow enough, building slowly with well-orchestrated guitar parts to accompany Fleetwood's ever-steady vocals. The band comes into the picture in full force about halfway through the track, but then the song takes a step back, showcasing a track-over of children's voices.

The relaxed soundscape is lit up when Fleetwood comes back in, passionately belting out, "Golden / We are golden because we're alive / We are nothing without our goodbyes / Illuminate our own way from inside / We shine so bright, we shine so bright." At that moment, some well-timed gang vocals kick in, making for a more than memorable outro to the EP.

These relatively young Nashville, Tenn. pop-rockers are doing things the right way for an unsigned band. They're organized, they know what sound they're going for, and they're working their tails off to make their dreams become reality. The Way We Learn EP will be a great jump-off point for the group, and should hopefully lead to them landing some label support to get things going at an even faster pace.

Recommended If You LikeA You, Me, And Everyone We Know-infused Motion City Soundtrack or something along those lines.
Follow Me On TwitterMy teachers say weird things then I tweet them.
Bare Essentials1. Well Wishing
2. Growing Pains
3. Never Have I Ever
4. Love, Lust, Or Losing It
5. Terminal
6. Where I Belong
7. Golden
Run Time: 26 minutes
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Band Page

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
05:24 AM on 01/14/11
ManicanParty49
Rob Carey Peterson
User Info.
Alright, I can dig the review. I'll check this out for sure.
07:10 AM on 01/14/11
KabirManzano
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Me encanta este disco. "Never have i ever" y "golden" son mis favoritas.
07:35 AM on 01/14/11
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Me encanta este disco. "Never have i ever" y "golden" son mis favoritas.
I don't know what you said, but I like the way you said it.
08:02 AM on 01/14/11
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Absolutely love this EP.

Love how in Golden he references a line from their last EP The Winning Team.
08:42 AM on 01/14/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I wish all I had to worry about was college, haha.
08:52 AM on 01/14/11
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think you underrated it a bit. The lyrics are great, definitely something I can connect with as I end high school.
08:55 AM on 01/14/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
I don't know what you said, but I like the way you said it.

Something about how they liked the EP and those songs were his favorites. Maybe I shouldn't have dropped out of spanish class.
08:56 AM on 01/14/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Album's good though.

Quote:
Back to days like senior year of high school when all you worried about was getting to school and basketball practice on time and which girl you were going to date over the summer.

Hah, I wish that was my senior year.
09:21 AM on 01/14/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I think you underrated it a bit. The lyrics are great, definitely something I can connect with as I end high school.
Yeah after I posted my three reviews last night, I saw your review in the queue so I finally read it and I laughed because you said that it should make people feel like they're back in high school...and you're still in high school. Ha.
09:24 AM on 01/14/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Album's good though.

That was mine haha. I really miss high school sometimes, I really had nothing to do. No pressure. Lots of doing whatever I wanted and sleeping and getting really high grades haha. Oh somewhere in there I got into UF, that was important. It's important to wait until you got into college to screw around in high school.
09:27 AM on 01/14/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Album's good though.

Haha, this.
09:29 AM on 01/14/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
That was mine haha. I really miss high school sometimes, I really had nothing to do. No pressure. Lots of doing whatever I wanted and sleeping and getting really high grades haha. Oh somewhere in there I got into UF, that was important. It's important to wait until you got into college to screw around in high school.

I had nothing to do either. Except I didn't spend it doing cool stuff like you. Just played video games. Which is basically all I do now. I guess college doesn't change much hhaha.
09:35 AM on 01/14/11
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah after I posted my three reviews last night, I saw your review in the queue so I finally read it and I laughed because you said that it should make people feel like they're back in high school...and you're still in high school. Ha.
I mean, I'm graduating in five months. So I've been through most of it already. And I know what it's like more than people on here, the experiences.
10:15 AM on 01/14/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I mean, I'm graduating in five months. So I've been through most of it already. And I know what it's like more than people on here, the experiences.
ok

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version