AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Captain, We're Sinking - It's A Trap! Album Cover

Captain, We're Sinking - It's A Trap!

Reviewed by
Captain, We're Sinking - It's A Trap!
Release Date: May 18, 2010 (physical 7" version)
Record Label: Kind of Like Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
"As a boy he'd rub his wrists on fences / And realize that he lost his senses / He'd go home screaming in pain while his mother cleaned his cuts / Ten years later and he's had enough / He's on a building looking to jump / He says, 'If Jesus walked on water then I can walk on air' / But as he falls he hears his mother cry / He looks at her and then he dies."

Those lyrics, in the bridge of "Crushed By Milwaukee's Best", the second song off of Captain, We're Sinking's 2009 It's A Trap EP, should be all you need to check out this band. In fact, the band put up It's A Trap for free download on numerous websites, including this one, so go ahead and download it then give that song a listen. Come back in like seven minutes and read the rest of my review, it'll be on the Internet forever.

Those lyrics, penned by either Leo Vergnetti or Bob Barnett (both credited as vocalist/guitarist so I don't know who the lead singer is) are nothing short of poetry. The dual vocals work brilliantly in that song and throughout the entire four-song EP, a short but sweet taste of Captain's true potential.

Listening to the EP, I finally figured out what to call this type of music. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do it, and maybe I'm just being sort of an idiot, but this is truly punk pop music. See, it's not pure punk, and it's not pop punk really, so it's punk pop. Punk first and a pop sensibility after so your girlfriend doesn't yell at you when you turn it on in the car, a lot like The Menzingers or maybe Transit.

The opener, which gives the EP its name, is an awesome track as well, although it doesn't match up to "Crushed By Milwaukee's Best". Both songs have incredibly vivid imagery painted by the lyrics and a driving, focused force behind the instrumentation. It's clear that Captain, We're Sinking knew exactly what they wanted to do here and executed it very well.

Now, I don't want to appear obnoxiously repetitive/swoon-y/insulting to the band, but this group might never write a song better than "Crushed By Milwaukee's Best". And that's just fine because I think it's a flat-out flawless track, one that should be played out endlessly. It's the sort of song that shines to the point where, if I knew who the proper frontman of this band was, I would say that he is the sort of frontman that most of this website could get behind. It's tough to find gut-wrenching lyrics like those that are delivered in an even more brutally honest way.

Moving along now, the band sort of stumbles on "Swing Your Kami Sword", but it's not a large stumble at all. In fact, they didn't fall down and no one even really saw them trip anyway (aka the song isn't even of a slip-up to even warrant skipping in the course of the EP), so they briskly transition into a sprint for closer "Gunner Merring Will Have His Revenge".

The third quality song on this release, the closer sees a great melody that offsets perhaps the most aggressive vocal performance by these dual vocalists. The gang vocals near the end are an emotional and welcome end to the short but holistically complete EP.

Now I don't know if It's A Trap! was named after the famed Admiral Ackbar line from the Star Wars saga, but if it was, then more points to this band. Nothing like watching the Rebels almost lose all of their hope only to be saved by a bunch of tiny teddy bear creatures and the incompetency of Imperial forces. Anyway, regardless of where the name of this EP was derived from, it's worth checking out. I mean, it's free so you really have no reason to not listen. If you do download it though, and you enjoy it, make use of that donate option on ifyoumakeit.com, which is a great website. These are the sort of bands we need to keep around, right?

Recommended If You LikeThe Menzingers, Transit, the genre of punk pop that I didn't make up but I kind of made up, Admiral Ackbar, saving the Republic from the evil clutches of the Empire and the Sith.
Follow Me On TwitterBorn down in a dead man's town, the first kick I took was when I hit the ground.
Bare Essentials1. It's A Trap!
2. Crushed By Milwaukee's Best
3. Swing Your Kami Sword
4. Gunner Merring Will Have His Revenge
Run Time: Almost 12 minutes.
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars.
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
05:41 AM on 01/14/11
Jumpoff
Muckduck
User Info.
Love this EP, and they are my favorite local band, but this review is somewhat odd haha. Pop punk is good enough to describe these guys... I mean, it's not like pop punk didn't start off as "punk with some pop sensibility".

Furthermore, this is nothing like Transit. Closer to The Holy Mess, The Loved Ones, and Timeshares.. the Menzingers comparison is totally spot on, but that makes sense considering they're both from Scranton and the Bobby and Greg are brothers.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this was released in October 2009 at the latest, not 2010.
06:32 AM on 01/14/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Such an underrated EP. Lyrically just incredible.
06:58 AM on 01/14/11
killbabykill14
User Info.
One of the best bands to come out of my area, along with The Menzingers. They are an awesome band.
07:07 AM on 01/14/11
leighm13
User Info.
Great review, Tom. I don’t think I could manage it myself without running out of superlatives! Completely love this EP and band, I’m forever recommending them to anyone that will listen to me.

There are some more tracks up on here: http://soundcloud.com/captainweresinking including the 3 that are set to be released very soon on their new EP ‘For Joe Riley’. ‘The Ballad of Ichabod Crane’ is killer.

Hmm, apologies for the weird font, I was typing this out on the sly at work as a draft email!
07:09 AM on 01/14/11
georgedcc
User Info.
Brilliant Ep. Reminds me of bands like Off With Their Heads or Smoke or Fire, its gruff, passionate and honest punk rock, but with a pop heart.
07:55 AM on 01/14/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review. Here is the free download for anyone interested: http://www.ifyoumakeit.com/album/cap...ng/its-a-trap/
09:28 AM on 01/14/11
lisagarelick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The EP is actually on vinyl as well through Kind Of Like Records.

Check it out here - http://kindoflikerecords.storenvy.co...-it-s-a-trap-7
10:01 AM on 01/14/11
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this band.
10:14 AM on 01/14/11
ikikwe
I'm looking for the upsides
User Info.
The EP is actually on vinyl as well through Kind Of Like Records.

Check it out here - http://kindoflikerecords.storenvy.co...-it-s-a-trap-7
Buy this. It has great packaging.
10:27 AM on 01/14/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Nice review. Here is the free download for anyone interested: http://www.ifyoumakeit.com/album/cap...ng/its-a-trap/
Whoops, I set up my review to include that exact link and I totally forgot to edit it in! Doing that now.
10:28 AM on 01/14/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Love this EP, and they are my favorite local band, but this review is somewhat odd haha. Pop punk is good enough to describe these guys... I mean, it's not like pop punk didn't start off as "punk with some pop sensibility".

Furthermore, this is nothing like Transit. Closer to The Holy Mess, The Loved Ones, and Timeshares.. the Menzingers comparison is totally spot on, but that makes sense considering they're both from Scranton and the Bobby and Greg are brothers.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this was released in October 2009 at the latest, not 2010.
I literally didn't know anything you just said...about them being from Scranton or related to The Menzingers. That's so cool though. But yeah, you're right, the Transit comparison is kind of off. I like the Loved Ones comparison.
10:40 AM on 01/14/11
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
not a fan of the lyrics you posted so I guess that's all I need
10:55 AM on 01/14/11
Jumpoff
Muckduck
User Info.
I literally didn't know anything you just said...about them being from Scranton or related to The Menzingers. That's so cool though. But yeah, you're right, the Transit comparison is kind of off. I like the Loved Ones comparison.
Haha yeah. It's a pretty good few years for the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area... The Menzingers, Tigers Jaw, Captain, Title Fight, Cold World, Gypsy, etc.

Sheep is going to be Bobby from Captain, Greg from The Menzingers, and Adam and Pat from Tigers Jaw, so check them out when they finally start releasing stuff. Can't go wrong with a Scranton supergroup.
11:04 AM on 01/14/11
leighm13
User Info.
Just noticed my track listing (downloaded from IYMI ages ago) is different to the C,WS Soundcloud. Anyone else noticed this?

As far as I can tell:

1. It's a Trap is apparently Gunner Merring
2. Crushed By Milwaukee's Best should be It's a Trap
3. Swing Your Kami Sword is right
4. Gunner Merring should be Crushed By Milwaukee's Best

So confused. I've got it on vinyl too, I just don't have a record player to actually check!

Edit: I suppose this would explain why the lyrics didn't match the songs when I took them from the myspace! Ha. I'll just change the track names to the Soundcloud ones and re-arrange the order on Itunes.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos