AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Abraham the Poor - 01.09.11

Abraham the Poor - 01.09.11

Interviewed by
Abraham the Poor - 01.09.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Abraham the Poor
http://abrahamthepoor.bandcamp.com
atp.bigcartel.com

1. How did you get your band name?
From the 4th Century saint of the same name; inspired by his life's work, but we also wanted to be associated with something other than ourselves.

2. How did this band get started?
Josh Gaines (lead singer/songwriter/guitarist) started out solo as a purely acoustic project writing songs for the first EP, until he gained other members to form a more full sound.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Wilco, Iron & Wine, Manchester Orchestra, and Ray Lamontagne.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Wilco or Conor Oberst, because those guys are just excellent and not afraid to be twangy and dark at the same time, and because we fall into a similar category stylistically as those bands. And because Josh has a man-crush on Jeff Tweedy.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A Giraffe. Because they're tall, slender, and elegant.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Our lyrics are definitely a strong point; they are creative and thought-provoking, deep and meaningful (perhaps a tad mewithoutYou-esque in subject matter). We want our music to be art, not just sound or melody. We want the albums to be whole, creative packages that touch the inner-most person who cares enough to listen and look. You can relate to us because we're real people who see the pain, beauty, and hint of truth in day to day life and try to paint that experience in a hopeful light.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Definitely our twangy hoe-down song, "Pikes Peak," because it's a blast to play. Probably wouldn't challenge any kids much, but hey, we're not here to shred.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Eminem, because he's won them and was honest about how ridiculous they are.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Horrific, worthless pop music made by talentless, yet marketable artists done away with. And people pirating so much music is a bummer. Also, the fact that there are more bands than there are people to listen to them, the industry kinda needs to burn down and be reborn from the ashes... I say this realizing we're part of the problem.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Blowing a tire with no spare 40 miles outside of San Antonio, TX in the middle of summer. On the same trip, we broke our ignition key inside the car door while trying to unlock it. We were blessedly provided for by very kind people, but those moments freaked us out at the time.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net seems to have very accurate, up-to-date news on a good variety of bands, well-written, quality reviews, and honest users with good taste. It's an excellent site for casual listeners as well as hardcore fans. To us, it means: thank goodness there's AP.net so that the world isn't stuck with Myspace for music news.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
A song called "I Speak as a Man," because it has several big-ole breakdowns, which are pretty uncommon for us.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
This is pretty cliche, but any warm-water beach with a cooler full of ice-cold Mexican lagers (*ahem*... Sol being the band favorite) would suit us just fine and dandy.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I (Josh) grew up in a pretty conservative household, so the kinda music that reminds me of childhood is outdated, fairly corny Christian artists like Michael Card, John Michael Talbot, Keith Green and Third Day. Third Day is the only one I really still listen to, because Mac Powell's voice is killer.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Being able to incinerate any object into nothing. And then I would clean up a whole bunch of the world's trash.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Absolutely not, but we're okay with that. This is what we love doing, what we feel we're gifted at, and what we've been blessed with so many encouraging words about. If we're affecting people's lives in a real way, that is definitely reason to continue, even more so than making it big (though we're not denying the income would be nice if it happened).

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That I hardly ever re-write or revise my first song drafts. How it comes out the first time (which is usually in one sitting) is usually what's on the album, give or take a couple words. And I'll almost always think of one singular sentence first, then build a song or story around that idea. Maybe that's pretty common, I don't know.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas, because dang it, call me a consumer, but I really really like opening presents. But time with family and giving gifts is also very pleasant.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I read. A lot (Stephen King and Chuck Palahniuk being some favorites. Call me trashy). Preferably with a beer or coffee, usually at home, while playing some instrumental vinyl records like Mogwai, Caspian, or This Will Destroy You. My pleasures are pretty simple.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I have a comic-blog in which I depict Harry Potter characters and scenes in stick figures, whilst also using LOL-speak, L337-speak, and super-nerdy-internet humor. (which is... ahem... found here: http://hplolz.tumblr.com)

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests