AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Empire State, The - 1.10.11

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (01/17/11)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Empire State
www.theempirestateband.com
www.absolutepunk.net/theempirestate
www.twitter.com/EmpireStateMA

1. How did you get your band name?
My friend, Nick Conway, (formerly of View From An Airplane) put out a song called "The Empire State" a few years ago when the band was still just Nick playing acoustic guitar and singing around local shows. I was doing the same thing at the time in a band called Semester Abroad. Nick's song, "The Empire State", really inspired the high school freshman version of me to do something in the music industry and, with an awful relationship history, I can always seem to connect with it. When I was ready to start a new project, I called Nick and asked him if I could use the name for the band and he was cool with the idea.

2. How did this band get started?
The band officially started when Mark and I decided to leave Brighterside. We weren't feeling the whole straight forward pop rock sound anymore and wanted to do something a little more interesting. Hopefully people will like this record we're about to put out as much as we enjoyed making it.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We are influenced by a giant spectrum of bands but the ones that really show through are Maroon 5, Parachute, John Mayer, Relient K, and Something Corporate.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

We'd love to tour with Third Eye Blind or My Favorite Highway. Those are two of my all time favorites. We're going to be co-writing with David from My Favorite Highway in February, and we're really looking forward to working with him.

5. If you were a furry animal, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Our band would probably be a pack of wolves. We're pretty fierce when we want to be, but wolves can be furry too.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to our band if they're looking for something new to listen to and like pop music. Plus, we're pretty fun to hang out with and always bring the party, so come out to a show and check us out!

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to beat five-star on expert?
Probably our new single, "Silhouette Girl". Its got some real funky intricate guitar work that could be cool to play on the game. It would be relatively hard to beat five-star on expert, but I think it would be possible.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
There would be so many people to thank, starting with Katy Perry and Lady Gaga for laying back and selling less records so the other guys could have a shot. And, of course, our families and all of our fans who have been so supportive in all of our endeavors past and present.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The industry is so inflated with bands that are unoriginal and lazy. I would make it so that the hardworking bands with something new to offer were the ones who "made it".

10. Memorable tour experience?
In Mark and my old band we were fortunate enough to play on the Vans Warped Tour. It was a ton of fun, but lots of hard work to keep going and pushing merch to all the kids. I hope to be able to do that again soon. We have more and more fun on every tour that we go on; it's worth all of the hard work we put in at home.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
For me, Absolute Punk has become one of those sites like facebook and twitter and my email that I just automatically go to whenever I go on the internet. It's the best way to keep up to date with everything that's happening in the music industry and to find new music!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play is our new song, "Silhouette Girl". It's so different from anything we've ever written before and we're super excited to release it!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
We love being on tour as much as possible. Oddly enough, we all love New Jersey. We have tons of friends down there and it's great to not have to stay in a 40 dollar motel room for one night on tour. But, as for real vacation, California and Florida are in my top 5.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The great music of the 90's, of course! Anything by Third Eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls, or Oasis. All of the radio hits of the 90's are great!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The power to travel faster than light speed would be cool. Theoretically (here's an astronomy lesson for you), if one could travel at the speed of light, time would move slower in relation to them and they would age slower. If you could move faster than the speed of light, you could travel far away to a distant star and look at the earth with a powerful telescope. If you went to a star that was, say, a hundred million light years away, you would see light that left the earth a hundred million years ago, and could possibly witness first hand events that happened at that time, seeing the dinosaurs and the formation of our world! I'm a nerd, I know.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
The definition of "making it" has certainly changed. Only 10 years ago, artists could sell millions of records. Now thanks to the internet that is almost impossible. We definitely haven't made it yet. We're just getting started. But hopefully someday we can get to that point.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I am still in high school. I'm a senior and graduating in May, then I'll be doing music as a career. Zack can do amazing impressions of almost anyone; he's one of the funniest individuals I've ever met, and Mark is single ...Ladies.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
ChrismaHanakwanza is pretty cool!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We're so busy all the time. We're always writing music or recording or working on our live show. But we find time to watch tons of Family Guy and How I Met Your Mother.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm pretty good with graphic design. Mark can sing in a pretty rad jamiroquai voice, as well as make a mean homemade pizza, and Zack is pretty good at card tricks and impressions. We like to have fun, so come hang out with us soon!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT