Username
Password

Album Review

Cake - Showroom of Compassion Album Cover

Cake - Showroom of Compassion

Reviewed by
Cake - Showroom of Compassion
Record Label: Upbeat Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Release Date: Jan. 11, 2011

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
05:13 PM on 01/19/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Clearly the last sentence is off base as the album is currently at the top of the charts. But in my humble opinion, this album has way too many soft spots.
08:50 PM on 01/19/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I am just happy to see them continue to keep going. Never had a problem with them.
09:12 PM on 01/19/11
GlassyLight
King of Wrangling
User Info.
You realize that "What's Now is Now" is a Sinatra cover, right?

Also, Frat-Rock? Last time I checked, they sounded nothing like Sublime, DMB, or Disturbed.
09:17 PM on 01/19/11
Mochem
User Info.

Also, Frat-Rock? Last time I checked, they sounded nothing like Sublime, DMB, or Disturbed.
To be fair, none of those bounds sound similar to each other either.
09:32 PM on 01/19/11
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 700 bands!
User Info.

Frat rock is DMB, Kings of Leon and almost any nu metal band that ever came out. Sublime is WAYYYY far from Frat Rock.
10:05 PM on 01/19/11
TMS2787
Fate Has Been Making Me A Liar
User Info.
Frat rock is DMB, Kings of Leon and almost any nu metal band that ever came out. Sublime is WAYYYY far from Frat Rock.
Oh. Okay.
10:44 PM on 01/19/11
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
When was the last time you were in a frat? Every room is splattered with two posters: the Sublime s/t cover and that John Belushi poster where he's wearing the shirt that says "college". They may not be "frat rock" per se, but I sure don't know anybody who likes them who isn't a piece of shit in a fraternity.
10:55 PM on 01/19/11
Pugh758
Zach Pugh
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You made it sound like this was a horrible album. I thoroughly enjoyed it, while all you really did was blow up a few faults and turn them into these monstrous problems. It's no Fashion Nugget or Comfort Eagle, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Especially when you gave it a 76%
11:39 PM on 01/19/11
Illinoise2
Je n'existe pas.
User Info.
Eh. If you really like Cake, I guess you'd like this album.

I wasn't feeling it. Gonna go listen to "The Distance" again.
01:02 AM on 01/20/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Aside from DMB, none of that is played at my frat and DMB is a bad example being one of the bigger bands in the world right now. The whole stereotype of "Frat-rock" needs to die out.
02:12 AM on 01/20/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Clearly the last sentence is off base as the album is currently at the top of the charts. But in my humble opinion, this album has way too many soft spots.
What is residentmediapundit? I'm intrigued by this.
02:13 AM on 01/20/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Aside from DMB, none of that is played at my frat and DMB is a bad example being one of the bigger bands in the world right now. The whole stereotype of "Frat-rock" needs to die out.
Frat-rock = A Day to Remember. Bros love bro-ing down when they're bro-ing with each other.

TRUST ME, I know this. I wrote a bro-file on a bro once for the magazine I used to write for.
03:46 AM on 01/20/11
domotime2
great googily moogily
User Info.
really? haha really. this site fuckin gives out good reviews to every single band/album no matter how mediocre each band/album is....and THIS! is the one that gets a bad review. One of the few unique bands out there, that I love to admit fits into no genre and sounds like no other band, gets the "honest review". Listen if the reviewer found the album to be boring that's fine...but man if that same brush of truth and flexiblity isn't applied on other albums!

i dont know man, something's wrong here. This sounds like a cake album.....i dont know what else to say.

edit: to be fair, i'm not singling out this reviewer as I'm aware that this guy doesn't give good reviews to like REady Set..and shit on this album. it was more of a generalization of the kind of reviews that this site does.
04:58 AM on 01/20/11
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
That's a horrible review. I absolutely love this album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos