|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
I looked in the mirror and thought: “Marie Glad is a great name, I’m proud of it, it’s me, I’ll use it”.
2. How did this band get started?
It started in January 2008. First as Marie Glad, then as Royal Sister and then back to Marie Glad again. The band constellation has changed along the road. Today it’s only the cello player that remains from 2008. The sound and the band have passed through different phoenix processes that have matched with the changes of bass players (have had about five different bass players, every one with new ideas on the sound). In the beginning we were seven and now we’re four. And today I have no bass player. The live sound has never been better. The electric cello by Erik Hamrefors, together with the effect-based electric guitar and backing vocals by Christoffer Englund and the innovative drums by Neva Deelay creates a fat orchestral minimalist sound.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Robyn, Bjork, Radiohead and Jónsi.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
In my wildest dreams I’d love to tour with any of the bands I’m influenced by. But I also like to examine new spheres. It would be awesome to open up for Natasha Bedingfield.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Let me refer to words from fans: “Mmm, being swept away into a new universe... & I like it there!”, “Magic”, “Honest songwriting”,
“Few people on stage yielding a FAT "orchestral" sound””, “I feel in love when I listen to Marie”.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I have to tell you a secret, please don’t tell anyone… I don’t have a TV. I’m completely ignorant when it comes to Guitar Hero. But I have a
whole lot of guitars…. real ones.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Myself, for daring to jeopardize all my belongings on the only thing that drives me, music. I would thank all people that have been involved in the process, both dead and alive spirits. I would specifically thank my record label companion Iva Troj for all the patience and help.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Open up the different scenes, venues, festivals for indie artists. The golden days of the majors, when they owed all space and rights, is
history. I would reward strong and creative independent artists. I would inspire them to get their forces together and create new networks that they themselves are in control of.
10. Memorable tour experience?
When I had a gig in my home town Nässjö, in Småland in Sweden. My parents were able to see me live for the first and so far only time and people that I hadn’t met since high school came. My dad was in the first row with a cow boy hat on his head and a sign in his hand that said “I love you”. It was a remarkable evening. The gig at the magical venue La vie en Rose in Berlin last September was also memorable.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Interesting new source of knowledge.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Loverboy" by Marie Glad in my new band constellation. I have recently also discovered amazing alternative songs by Prince
especially "Sometimes It Snows In April" (from 1986). I’ve played it a lot the last week.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Kerela in India, Cadaques in Spain and California in the US.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Wham, Aha, Kim Wilde, Vanessa Paradise.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To mend broken hearts. :) Nothing is more important than a whole heart. A world without pain, fears
and acts of defense would be the perfect world.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I have finally, in November 2010, managed to put together the right band constellation. I’ve searched for this live sound during several years and I’m now ready to tour the world. So, we are now ready to “make it.”
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That I’m also a yoga instructor and filmmaker. I have done documentaries for the Swedish television. This was before I changed my surname from Åkesson to Glad (which is my mothers maiden name).
18. What's your favorite holiday?
In the Indian jungle.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Meet friends and family.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I’m also a visual artist. Most people don’t know that I paint. I keep
my paintings hidden at home.
06:14 PM on 01/19/11
President- EXE Media Group
I love Marie Glad! Her music & spirit is breath taking. Thank you for posting this interview!