1. How did you get your band name?
I was born with it. I have thought many times that I should make music under a band name of some sort, but it starts feeling too contrived so I just end up sticking with my boring ol' birth name.
2. How did this band get started?
I played in bands in my teens and early 20's, but since then have been doing it solo. I like the control, but I do miss having bandmates to bounce things off.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
So many, the songwriters and great instrumentalists are who really inspire me...Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Lennon, Wilco, Hendrix, Stones, Brian Wilson....I could go on forever.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I think as far as a good fit for touring together I would pick someone similar to my vibe, probably Wilco, maybe Arcade Fire. I would love to play with Johnny Cash but that won't happen until we meet in the afterlife.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Maybe a Grizzly Bear...they get to sleep a lot and nobody messes with them...except humans of course! And the all you can eat salmon buffet!
6. Why should people listen to your band?
They should listen if they want music that has a lot going on underneath the surface. Lyrically and musically I try and create original pieces of work that force the listener to pay attention. I don't view my music as easily digestible pop candy, it's deeper and more thought provoking. So for people that like that, I welcome you into my world.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I am not really into gaming - I would end up hooked and it would take up way too much time. But as far as which song I would want chosen, I would say "The Streets I'm walkin." I would like to see some slide guitar on Guitar Hero.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I wouldn't want to go into a long list of endless names....I would keep it simple. Everyone who has helped me in any way over the years to take my music further...I truly thank you...done! There is one person who has always supported more than anyone in my life, but it's a secret until I get my grammy.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Playing shows and making money has become difficult. Personally, I feel like the promotors of today leave something to be desired. The Bill Graham's of the world don't really exist anymore. I think they look for sure things rather than getting creative and putting together great events that attract people. Festivals and certain ones aside, which there are some good ones. But there is a lot more room for thinking outside the box and attracting new audiences. People need music like air.
10. Memorable tour experience?
I haven't really done a tour, just a lot of playing clubs. Every club has the token drunken loon and they usually stand out in my mind when I think back about a particular performance. That's probably not a good thing, but shameless behavior always intrigues me.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means to defy the mainstream and pursue total freedom with music
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Depends on the night, but I love to play "There's an owl in the back of my car." It's not been on any of my cd's, but it strikes a nerve with me emotionally.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
This also depends on my mood....I love Vancouver, Canada, Hawaii is nice, Europe is exhilarating. I need to visit New Zealand and the deep South Pacific.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The Carpenters big time, my mom used to play them. Also Ray Charles and Elvis...they were often on the stereo. Kiss and the Beatles were huge for me when I was 9 or 10 so they always take me back.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flying is an obvious answer, but I would go with Aquaman-style powers - being able to swim through water like that and be part of the world underneath would be insane.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No way, I have a long way to go....to "make it" kinda means to be financially stable from music and the ability to artistically do what I want which I haven't achieved yet. To make a living doing anything artistic is so profoundly beautiful, I will truly appreciate it when it happens.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That I am into cooking, I love to cook....Thai, Italian, French. I am fascinated by food the same way as I am music. It's never ending and there are certain basic rules that you need to understand before you can break down the door and go in a new direction, so I love that it requires a lot of practice and can't be faked.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Probably Halloween, I love darkness and being able to become whatever you want to be appeals to me.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Cook, hike, travel, take a long drive somewhere random....hang with animals. I do love movies too.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I like to fix things. If something is broken, give me a shot and I'll try and fix it. Sometimes it works, other times it's worse than when I started!