AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
X-Pistols - Shoot to Kill Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 3.5
Production 8
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 4
Final Verdict: 51%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

X-Pistols - Shoot to Kill

Reviewed by: Corey Hoffy (01/24/11)
X-Pistols - Shoot to Kill
Record Company: Suburban Noize Records
Release Date: January 18, 2011

When this album was sent to me, the description that came listed members from legendary punk groups such as Doggy Style, Humble Gods, and D.I. After a single listen to this overly long, ego-filled, genericly-riffed, terribly overdone album, I was convinced that I received the wrong record. I mean, mistakes happen, right? As it turns out, the only mistake made was that this album was ever conceived in the first place. But the more I listened, the more I was convinced (rather, I convinced myself) that perhaps the album is itself a joke. Perhaps the members thought it hilarious to include an introduction of themselves in every other song. Perhaps they thought it a cool or "rad" joke to include a gunshot in at least one place in every song. Still, even as a joke, there's not much funny about it.

Opener "P In the Punk" is barely 2 minutes, however its monotonous anthem-y lyrics make it seem far longer. Songs like "Wild Side", "Beware", and "Suffocation" run together so bad, it's hard to tell where one ends and another begins. "Let the Haters Hate" starts out with the silly gunshot, becomes interesting for about ten seconds, and by the chorus the ridiculousness ensues once more with repetitive and cheesy lyrics. "American Freedom" actually contains some catchy guitar work, and a up-beaty chorus making it most likely the key track on the album.

Production is the best thing found on the album; it feels like a classic punk album. It's just too bad it couldn't be as interesting as one in the content. The vocals are more miss than hit, featuring overly whiny and laughable hip-hop raps. Tracks like "I Hate Pigs" feature some talking parts that are so poorly written, and awful rapping that reminds one of a punk cover of an ICP song. Musically, the band is talented, there's no doubt of that. However, most of the riffs are so generic-punk that it's hard to differentiate between the actual talent the band actually possesses and just what they stole from other bands.

The end result, unfortunately, is a band filled with experts in the punk genre who just waste too much time making conspiracies that most likely aren't there, and reminding everyone who they are every chance they can get. For long-time fans of pure classic punk, there may be something here for you occasionally. For most people, they may find trouble listening to this album in its entirety for its bloated ego and monotony. I know I sure did.

Recommended If You LikeICP gone punk, watching Transformers 2 because you think it has an interesting plot, playing Wii Bowling while drunk

Solid TracksAmerican Freedom

X-Pistols Myspace
Buy It

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums