AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Slaughter On Penn. Ave. - From These Wounds Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8
Production 6
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Slaughter On Penn. Ave. - From These Wounds

Reviewed by: John_Barnes (01/25/11)
Slaughter On Penn. Ave. - From These Wounds
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: Spring 2011

Miles Halverson, the former front man of the Pop-punk band 5yearplan has returned. He brings with him a new breed of Punk Rock that heís just dying to shell out.
This album getís its release under the name Slaughter on Pennsylvania Avenue, a grunge-influenced punk band from the same kid who songs showcased previous titles such as "The Fart Song" and "Sorry Ma, This Songís About You". But this project is no laughing matter.

The bandís debut release features the classic "You Get Nothing" rant from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, before ripping into the first track.
Straight out of the gate, "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" tears your face off. A Creedence Clearwater Revival song no more, as Halverson screams in an almost undistinguishable sneer behind the driving beat of the drums and mud-filled guitar tones. Not even halfway into the song, it becomes clear that Halverson has moved on.
The song leaves you on the edge of your seat, featuring a typical speed-punk beat, but with a manic energy that sends chills up the spine.

The second song on the album is perhaps the most reminiscent of the 5yearplan days, an acoustic number titled "I Miss You". The song, clearly about a lover, is amazingly well developed. You can hear the passion in the singers voice. With the pain perhaps most evident on the chorus, there is no doubt that he meant this song with more intention than any other.

But by far, the standout track is the haunting and cataclysmic "Shedding Skin". Starting out with a chilling intro and by the time the song starts, there is no doubt that these guys are for real. The pain and anguish in the singerís voice so prevalent throughout the song, similar to "I Miss You". The most powerful lyrics seem to be about love, with the bone rattling line: "I'll die with you until it hurts/You can't fake the heartache.Ē Perhaps no lyricist in punk pock has ever taken such a dark and emotional way to say: "I love you".

Overall, the band is a departure from all previous projects in every way except the energy. Halverson's vocals however have apparent changes to them. He's adapted a rougher edge to it, and it benefits him. Screaming with a passion that would make Kurt Cobain sit up in his seat, it's obvious that he admires the late Nirvana singer.

So if you're a fan of any of the bands listed in the RIYL, as well as looking for an up and coming band in the punk rock genre, don't hesitate to check out this release.

Recommended If You Likepunk rock; Nirvana; Anti-Flag

purevolume.com/slaughteronpennave

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
01:04 PM on 02/02/11
Mochem
User Info.
I can't tell if this review is entirely sarcastic or if the ratings are supposed to be out of five instead of ten.
01:12 PM on 02/02/11
cwhit412
User Info.
I can't tell if this review is entirely sarcastic or if the ratings are supposed to be out of five instead of ten.
This.
I loled when I read the last sentence and the score.
10:20 PM on 02/06/11
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
That was a total fail on my part. This was my first review for this site, as well as my first using a scoring format such as this. The ratings were supposed to be out of five, and now my reviewing looks incredibly sarcastic. Despite the way the score added up, the way the ratings appear in no way reflect my personal feelings about the album.
11:06 PM on 02/06/11
Mochem
User Info.
That was a total fail on my part. This was my first review for this site, as well as my first using a scoring format such as this. The ratings were supposed to be out of five, and now my reviewing looks incredibly sarcastic. Despite the way the score added up, the way the ratings appear in no way reflect my personal feelings about the album.
Ah, well don't worry. If I figured out that you might have given the scores out of five, then I'm sure others will. Or they'll scroll down and read all of this.
03:03 PM on 03/03/11
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
The scores have been changed to fit better.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests