Album Review

Icarus the Owl - Qualia EP Album Cover

Icarus the Owl - Qualia EP

Reviewed by
Icarus the Owl - Qualia EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: February 1, 2011

Who?

Icarus the Owl are a Portland, OR four-piece enraptured by the wonders of finger-tapping. They like pop-punk, too, which makes it appropriate to describe their sound as something like Gatsby’s American Dream meets Minus the Bear – a potentially luscious combo.

How is it?

At four tracks, Qualia has noticeable ups and downs. The only real misfire is “Vagabond,” where the band’s seemingly compulsive need to finger-tap gets in the way of the chorus’ flow. To a much lesser degree, the same could be said for the rest of the EP: The omnipresent finger-tapping runs the risk of becoming obnoxious. But the instances where it’s used in good taste make it all worth it, like in “Mouse Trap,” where it builds a twinkling atmosphere, or in “Mythomaniac’s” mini breakdown, which is all kinds of majestic. The most exciting track is “She Taught Me Minesweeper,” a three-and-a-half minute exercise in pop-punk finesse that nails a particularly elusive quality in the genre today – memorability. Qualia is a fine reason to keep tabs on Icarus the Owl.

Recommended If You LikeGatsby's American Dream meets Minus the Bear, math-y but competent pop-punk
Track listing1. Mouse Trap
2. Mythomaniac
3. Vagabond
4. She Taught Me Minesweeper

Find Icarus the Owl on Facebook.
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
12:18 PM on 01/27/11
circasurvivor91
User That Is Registered
User Info.
I like that RIYL a lot! Is this any better than their last release? I could never get into it.
12:27 PM on 01/27/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this band. I love math-anything and I love pop punk.
01:01 PM on 01/27/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I like that RIYL a lot! Is this any better than their last release? I could never get into it.
Imo it's an improvement over their older stuff, from what I've heard anyway. They're starting to come into their own sound here.
01:27 PM on 01/27/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
last album was god-awful. i'll check the myspace though if you think this is an improvement.
11:52 PM on 01/27/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
i like the band name
12:24 AM on 01/28/11
rushour144
User Info.
I really like this band... didn't know they had an ep out.
12:31 AM on 01/28/11
Jake Denning
User Info.
Icarus has been hustlin' big time lately with promo. Good to see Portland native getting some love.
01:50 AM on 01/28/11
Theow593
User Info.
last album was god-awful. i'll check the myspace though if you think this is an improvement.
Seriously? How can any one think this?
06:33 AM on 01/28/11
Circa1628
Long suffering Bills fan
User Info.
Wow, I thought their full length was great
08:29 AM on 01/29/11
bobbycalwell
User Info.
Too much math. Not enough core to be mathcore. Ends up sounding like it's trying to be pop but it's too confusing. Not impressed.
07:38 PM on 02/01/11
Jason Koch
User Info.
Two of my favorites, seems only fitting the band would hail from the same area. Definitely going to check this out.
12:41 AM on 02/02/11
15 Step
User Info.
Too much math. Not enough core to be mathcore. Ends up sounding like it's trying to be pop but it's too confusing. Not impressed.
no shit there isn't any "core". go to their facebook and it says "POP PUNK" right there. great ghandi.

im all for pop punk and technicality, so the combination this band is trying to pull off amazes me. they just need to not overdue it. looking at their tabs, their time signatures run wilder than the mars volta's. 14/8 + 6/32? completely unnecessary.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos