1. How did you get your band name?
My friend Jessie created it as a fictional band name.
2. How did this band get started?
It started as a pisstake of emo, recording an EP for $500 in a local high school's music room. Before we knew it, the band was getting college radio play in the USA. The band followed that with a tour (eventually performing more shows in the US than they had in their native Australia). All one big fluke! The band had naturally evolved into creating songs with more sincerity than just the outright parody we originated with.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
The Get Up Kids, Weezer, Reel Big Fish, Violent Femmes, NOFX, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Zolof the Rock 'n' Destroyer, Atom and His Package, Buddy Holly, Helmet, Custard, They Might Be Giants, Green Day, Pixies.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Violent Soho, 'cause they seem like good dudes; Green Day, because they're solid and have a diverse fan base; Pixies, to remind Frank Black / Black Francis that he's fat; and Reel Big Fish because those shows are fun.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Our singer's name is Teddy; so a teddy bear. My backup option would be koala - have you ever heard those things have sex? Yikes! That's a reason to come over here (to Australia) in itself. And to join the Australia Furries Exchange. Also, I object to this question being phrased as a hypothetical. It should read: "What furry are you?"
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we strike a good balance between writings songs that are about stuff but not taking ourselves too seriously. Music doesn't have to be dumb or preachy!
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Our Horse Is Dead." As for difficulty, umm, well, how about just learn guitar instead?
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Over here we have the ARIA awards which is like The Grammy awards. They blow chunks. So, I guess I'd thank the universe for having us at The Grammy Awards and not the ARIA awards. Special mention of Dad's seed, which are as strong as an Atlantic Salmon; the reason I'm here today.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I think the changes we want are happening. Bands are getting increasing independence and less reliance on major labels. The internet is awesome and helps bands spread their music far easier than ever before.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Entire US tour, particularly when we accidentally went into a swingers hotel in New Jersey. The concierge looked like someone out of The Hobbit, and there was a creepy guy masturbating with a poster tube in the foyer. We got out of there as soon as we realized our mistake.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
An unbiased, community-focused means for sharing information.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Viva la mala Fortuna" - it's fast.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Vacations? What are they? If we're not touring, we're working to pay off the album or the next tour ;)
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Millencolin, and all those Fat Music For Fat People compilations.
15. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I think if you can record an album and do tours and play for people then that's all one could genuinely hope for in "making it." So yeah, I guess we have. If people think making it is about cash and Gaga-levels of fame, then they are in it for the wrong reasons.
16. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Tell my friends to watch "A Serbian Film" without telling them what it's about.