AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Record Set, The - Calling All Best Friends Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 6.25
Production 6.25
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 65%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Record Set, The - Calling All Best Friends

Reviewed by: alienantidote (01/30/11)
The Record Set - Calling All Best Friends
Record Label – Self-Released
Release – August 20th, 2010

Calling all best friends and acquaintances and people I’ve never met. I’ve got a little pop-punk to send your way from Ottawa. I know you could use a helping of upbeat pop-rock to thaw out your winter.

You know those local shows you used to hang out at when you were in high school and every other guy you knew was in a band? The Record Set are that one local band you actually enjoyed or at least saw the potential for. Calling All Best Friends is certainly just a starting point for this band, but they’re working out the kinks and establishing catchy riffs in this 11-track release.

Covering topics from holding your own to simply wanting beer and cigarettes, The Record Set maintain an easily approachable demeanor.

“No Smokes To Bum” proves to be the most notable song in the batch, headlined by a memorable bass line and closing with the notion of “Livin' life the only way there is to live a life that's right for me.” Something about the track’s gritty vocals channels the likeness of Boston street punks Far From Finished.

“Street Fight” calls for a reminiscence of harder-pressed MxPx songs like “Under Lock and Key.” It almost exists purely for the act of riling a crowd up and burning off angry energy.; but isn’t that outlet just the reason that most younger bands form to begin with?

Though the backing vocals are often times scattered and lacking in overall harmony, this Canadian four-piece is working through the trials and errors of a young band to find a sound all their own. If only the entire record were as polished as the opening riff to “Morriset’s Dead Outlets.”

Recommended If You Likepop-punk, Kill The Complex, Far From Finished, Title Fight

http://www.myspace.com/recordset

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
03:10 AM on 02/04/11
tipoftheiceberg
son of the silent age
User Info.
Just checked these guys out, definitely agree with the opening statements. I can see these guys going somewhere. If this record gets heard by the right people!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests