AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Word Alive, The - Deceiver Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.67
Lyrics 6.92
Production 7.67
Creativity 6.92
Lasting Value 6.46
Reviewer Tilt 7.63
Average: 73%
Inside AP.net

Word Alive, The - Deceiver

Reviewed by: AaRoNpUnK (02/02/11)
The Word Alive - Deceiver
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: August 31, 2010

I think I speak for many people when I say that these techno melodic metalcore bands are getting out of control. Bands like Attack Attack! and Of Mice and Men are pretty much a dime a dozen these days. Very few bands have something separating them from the rest. Then there's The Word Alive, who have recently exploded onto the scene with their debut release, Deceiver. While they definitely aren't changing the face of their genre and overwrought this record with scene stereotypes, there is some substance to be salvaged here.

The album kicks off with "The Hounds of Anubis," which is actually enjoyable with its infectious chorus and almost Egyptian-melody vibe. The guitar-work wont blow you away but Tyler "Telle" Smith's vocal delivery is mostly crushing but also beautiful when he wants it to be. He can control it quite well throughout the record. The following track, "Epiphany," is not as mid-paced as the last one as it has very unrelenting drum-work and staccato guitar lines that show that the band know how to step up the pace when needed. It's probably the standout track for Deceiver.

"The Wretched" is kind of the flagship song for the album seeing that it contains the lyric that sums up the record itself: "We won't follow the deceiver." It shows that a lot of their songs are practically tailored for audience participation. However, by now, the formula starts to become apparent: verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown with hints of electronica shards for good measure. While, this hinders many bands, TWA actually make it work for them...most of the time. Throwaways like the clumsy, "2012," display the bands most glaring flaws. Its spiky and ridiculously heavy but the techno breakdown and generic melodic singing show why this album could technically be considered a guilty pleasure (fyi: the intro to it sounds a shade too close to Devastator" by For Today).

Where the band really shine is not when they try to be sloppily heavy but when they keep things mellow and melodic and focus on Telle's singing. "Consider It Mutual" is my personal favorite because of how beautiful it is. "Dream Catcher"' follows the same suit with more inventive guitar work. The best example of the band utilizing their brutal side AND melodic side is "Like Father Like Son," which is an ode to Smith's father. It's sheer power and ambience really redeem the record after a few flops. Lyrically, Deceiver, doesn't have much variety save for tracks like this. Most are just vengeful ragers and that can get very tiring. However, the album closes on a somewhat satisfying note with "We Know Who You Are."

TWA have a quality that ALMOST separates them from the bands mentioned above. Sadly, however, when they try to fit into a mold and overpower their music with breakdowns and generic hooks, it shows they just fall short under their own weight and genre. There is a glimmer of hope for the band displayed on the record and we can all hope they choose to capitalize on it on their next effort. However, this album is probably best enjoyed as a guilty pleasure.

Recommended If You Like: Born of Osiris'-The New Reign, Attack Attack's-Someday Came Suddenly, Asking Alexandria's-Stand Up and Scream

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
12:28 PM on 02/07/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
No to nitpick, but I wouldn't put Of Mice And Men in the "techno" metalcore band group; there's not any real use of synthesizers besides a piano bit on the whole CD that I can recall. Otherwise, while I seem to like the album better, great review !
12:31 PM on 02/07/11
rushour144
User Info.
Good review, but a little late ehh?!?!
01:58 PM on 02/07/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Nice review, still do not understand the appeal for this band though
02:16 PM on 02/07/11
UnderclasHero
So long live us
User Info.
They had better demos with Craig Mabbit
02:34 PM on 02/07/11
Emmure408
User Info.
would be great if bands stopped the whole singing/screaming trend & just chose one
03:06 PM on 02/07/11
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
They had better demos with Craig Mabbit
this is definitely a jk rite ??
03:08 PM on 02/07/11
UnderclasHero
So long live us
User Info.
this is definitely a jk rite ??
Yea lol hahahahaa. I know almost everyone here wouldnt agree with me but they went a little downhill after he left. For example, the old Casanova Rodeo was soo much better the shit new version they have. I dont know what everybody has against him.
04:06 PM on 02/07/11
WeltallAY
User Info.
Yea lol hahahahaa. I know almost everyone here wouldnt agree with me but they went a little downhill after he left. For example, the old Casanova Rodeo was soo much better the shit new version they have. I dont know what everybody has against him.
I think those demos were definitely awesome but I think that Telle has done a great job as their frontman.
04:07 PM on 02/07/11
UnderclasHero
So long live us
User Info.
I think those demos were definitely awesome but I think that Telle has done a great job as their frontman.
Yea, that too. but mainly, I just don't understand the hate for the guy. I mean, is he like a douche bag in real life? I've never met him.
04:38 PM on 02/07/11
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
cas. rodeo may have been better but the shit craig (who i have nothing against) had wit them doesn't compare to the stuff on deceiver
04:50 PM on 02/07/11
UnderclasHero
So long live us
User Info.
cas. rodeo may have been better but the shit craig (who i have nothing against) had wit them doesn't compare to the stuff on deceiver
Well Im just saying about that one in particular because its my fav from them, but the others are good too
05:06 PM on 02/07/11
WeltallAY
User Info.
Yea, that too. but mainly, I just don't understand the hate for the guy. I mean, is he like a douche bag in real life? I've never met him.
I've never actually talked to him but I've kind of followed him throughout his career. I don't think he's a douche, maybe just a little cocky now. He went from being a seemingly devout Christian (he could still be, who knows) to more vengeful (as evidenced in some of the lyrics in Deceiver). He's also adopted some of those lame "EVERYBODY GET THE FUCK UP! IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE A PUSSY!!!" stage antics.
05:13 PM on 02/07/11
UnderclasHero
So long live us
User Info.
I've never actually talked to him but I've kind of followed him throughout his career. I don't think he's a douche, maybe just a little cocky now. He went from being a seemingly devout Christian (he could still be, who knows) to more vengeful (as evidenced in some of the lyrics in Deceiver). He's also adopted some of those lame "EVERYBODY GET THE FUCK UP! IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE A PUSSY!!!" stage antics.
Yea, I know what you mean. I just hope he doesnt get too cocky, cuz he really shouldn't. I hope he doesnt think hes like Freddy mercury or something like that haha
06:07 PM on 02/07/11
bite2brkskn12
Registered Member
User Info.
their vocalist is so bad at singing live. I was watching a live video of them and my brother started cracking up at how terrible they sounded.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums