Password

Album Review

History On Repeat - So Long, Future Boy Album Cover

History On Repeat - So Long, Future Boy

Reviewed by
History On Repeat - So Long, Future Boy EP
Record Label: Broken English Records
Release Date: 2010
You’ve seen it done before with clothing: trends being revamped and redone; and now you see it with music. Bands attaining the same sound as the one before, slowly increasing the genre database. This is exactly what History on Repeat has done on their So Long, Future Boy EP. They took on a similar sound as Taking Back Sunday and New Found Glory - minus Jordan Pundik’s vocals.

The first song - “Our Season” - is a prime example of that from the beginning’s New Found Glory-esque sound. Not only does it have the near-yelling emotional voice and vocal melodies that resemble Taking Back Sunday, but it also has the break downs that are ever so pop-punk, noodling leads, and heavy rhythm guitars. The lyrics are about fixing broken relationships, cleverly comparing to autumn and fixing it “before winter comes.”

Instead of guitar, the drums take the lead on the next song “Run Home, Jack.” Sound-wise, the song is comparable to the Dangerous Summer; even subject-matter is comparable at times, being about sinking moments in life and not knowing where to turn or what to do. Their interesting use of percussion earns props; they are tasteful with their use of the double-bass by not just having a constant mess of kick hits.

The beginning of the third song reminded me of A Day to Remember (see song “All I Want”) or Paramore, but only the beginning. There were a lot of dual vocals that could be, once again, compared to Taking Back Sunday (which is never a bad thing, in my opinion), and good musicianship. The guitarists had interesting leads, and even some technicalities showcased by the drummer.

The final song, “I’ve Got News” has tight rhythm and clean plucking that is similar to a lot of early 2000’s emo/pop punk bands such as early Brand New and - you guessed it - Taking Back Sunday. The chorus throws out some catchy hooks as well, although that’s nothing new for the EP. The lyrics are about working through tough moments in life and finding good advice.

Overall the lyrics were centered around putting your life together when things get tough and figuring out who you are. They were very well written in my opinion, with well thought-out comparisons like seasons changing as things get worse, and lungs filling with water as you are strapped to a sinking ship. The So Long, Future Boy EP is very promising for History On Repeat, I very much enjoyed it.

Recommended If You Like Taking Back Sunday, The Dangerous Summer, New Found Glory
This review is a user submitted review from Samanthaesg. You can see all of Samanthaesg's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
12:15 PM on 02/08/11
jonnyh19
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review
10:15 AM on 02/09/11
sidekicksuicide
these are not just mountains
User Info.
This band has so much potential. With every release they mature in leaps and bounds.
10:57 AM on 02/11/11
Calvin Lauber
User Info.
Pretty good band and very good review!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News