AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Clandestine - 02.01.11

Interviewed by
Clandestine - 02.01.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Clandestine

www.ClandestineBand.com
www.facebook.com/clandestineband

1. How did you get your band name?

We get interesting reactions when we answer what the word Clandestine means, because we would say ďitís secretĒ. I find it fascinating that multiple shades of reality are often hidden behind what is apparent to us either visually or ideologically. My inspiration is to find that hidden truth and revealing it in pure emotion and honesty. The word Clandestine felt perfect for that theme.

2. How did this band get started?

I met our guitarist Dan Durakovich while I was in music school. Throughout the year we jammed a couple times, and I liked his playing so I asked him to play for me. We played songs that were entirely my compositions at first, but we ended up collaborating on new tunes a lot and they turned out in a good way, in fact, much better than what I would do by myself. So we formed Clandestine, went through the general steps of member changes and here we are today with a solidified line up including Sammy on drums and Mark on bass.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

These days I enjoy listening to Bjork, Katatonia, A Perfect Circle and Tesseract. Iím also influenced by various soundtracks and electronica.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I donít really have a specific name in mind, but it would be cool to tour with a band that we can musically and socially relate to. That would be also great for our fans so that the show becomes more enjoyable.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

Not exactly furry, but I love horses so I could be a pony or something. I think it also fits my personality due to the fact that horses are the happiest when they can roam and run around freely without restraint.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We always try to create the best possible material that can satisfy the listeners and ourselves, even if that means it takes longer to put out an album with possibly less tracks. Clandestine also strives to break out of our musical mannerisms, habits and limitations while always seeking experimentation and sonic balance. We donít want to beg people to listen to our music just because we worked hard on it. Ultimately itís the listenerís choice, and the process of connecting with fans who agree with what we do should come about naturally.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

We have our song ďDisappear in YouĒ available in the Rockband Network right now. We thought it was pretty hard to five-star on expert. Sammy couldn't play his own drum parts, Dan could barely get through his own guitars. But some friends uploaded videos of themselves five-starring it on YouTube without much of a problem.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Iím not sureÖ I know itís not my area so itís not worth it to even daydream about.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
As digital music from online sites has become the major source of listening, there should be better control for music piracy, concise royalty rates and a system for music streaming services. According to one research, it takes 4 million streams for a musician to make minimum wage in the US, which is very unlikely.

10. Memorable tour experience?
With our previous line up, we traveled to New Mexico from Los Angeles during a mini tour which included San Francisco and Phoenix, Arizona. It was in the middle of very hot summer, and it took us 15 hours one way without air conditioning in an old SUV. Driving through the desert, I had heat stroke and almost passed out on the way. It was very hard to perform under that condition, but we pulled it off. I donít think I could do it again though.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I like "The Invalid" as it is a very dynamic song with a strong message. Itís about a girl who is going through an incurable disease seeking for the end of pain. The story starts with the sound of her oxygen mask followed by a clock ticking in a room while she lifelessly whispers the melody of hopelessness. Then she bursts into rage and relentlessly cries out her tormented soul tattered by the never ending agony. While performing this song, I get to purely express the emotion of a person going through such pain without societyís judgment on the issue. Itís not about the position within the issue, but the position from the very personís view.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Normally I have no problem just hanging out at my place and doing whatever I feel like doing for many days. Not having to do anything usually makes me very happy. Maybe itís because the break is never long enough. But if I had to choose a spot, I would say somewhere I can enjoy beautiful nature and animals. For example, I loved staying at an Australian farm many years ago. I woke up with the calls of exotic cockatoos out the window, bottle fed lambs in the barn, rode a horse through the field in sprinkling rainÖ It was like heaven for me!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Not sure about childhood, but Dream Theater reminds me of my teenage years. I was so struck by their music that I recommended it to my friends and even had my mom listen to it. Of course, nobody understood, and my dark teenage secret started to grow ever since. I was seen as a girl who listens to weird music in school, and I think I actually enjoyed that kind of alienation to a certain extent. Solitude gave me the time to think about what I really felt about myself, others and existence in general.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I would like to have an ability to heal trauma in every living being so that life can continue with full potential and productivity. Sometimes our memory of hardship is engraved so deep inside our mind that it binds us in that past, prohibiting the recovery and progress in life. When people around me are suffering from what they had to go through and I have no words to heal, I feel frustrated in helplessness. Because our brain and mentality can absorb trauma in such a complex way, I think it will take super powers to truly heal the wounds in the human mind.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I would say itís being ďmadeĒ at this point. As long as I continue to be in a condition that I can keep creating and performing music, I would say Iím quite successful. I donít think just the financial measure or fame can determine if a band has made it or not. Those are two of the ways, but the psychological benefit is much more important, at least for me.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I have a quite different persona off stage. Iím introverted, enjoy one on one conversation and never raise my voice more than I need to speak unless someone needs me to repeat what Iíve just said. In contrary to the stereotype for rockers, I donít have any tattoos, I have no interest in big, random parties, alcohol, smoking, or any addictive substances besides delicious food.

Other than thatÖ some fans might already know, but I love animals. I have four mischievous small parrots and a beautiful horse.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Every holiday is wonderful.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Spend time with my birds and horse, explore the Internet for inspiration, hang out with a good friend, enjoy a cup of earl grey tea while watching a movie that doesnít make me fall asleep, and daydreaming in general without disturbance from the outside world.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I competed in show jumping for about 5 years when I was in Korea, as it was my choice of career before finding music. I donít show anymore but enjoy pleasure riding and training.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests