AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Maylene & Sons of Disaster, The - II Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%

Maylene & Sons of Disaster, The - II

Reviewed by: d50416 (02/09/11)
Maylene & The Sons of Disaster - II
Record Label: Ferret Records
Release Date: March 20,2007

Maylene have brought back the raw sound of Rock through Southern twang and soul. This album is a non-stop machine that will continue to deliver southern metal ‘anthems’ for new and old fans alike. Dirty riffs, some great choruses, and powerful screams from ex-Underoath singer Dallas Taylor dominate the album. I really was not expecting much from these guys as I did not enjoy their self-titled outside of two songs (“Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead”, and “Mind of a Grimes”) but this album saved this band from becoming another automatic skip in my book.

The album begins with a bang with “Memories of the Grove” which sets the mood for the album to come. The song includes a creative breakdown in the middle of the song which boasts a very powerful snare roll, and guitar lead section. The next track is “Dry the River” which starts out with an odd fret-picking lead, but turns into one of the best and catchiest choruses done by the band. This introduces a new aspect of the band, which is more clean singing. I personally like this addition to this band, because it proves that they don’t need to be drowned out with a scream-only sound.

The middle of the album is my personal favorite. The section starts off with the fourth and probably my favorite track, “Darkest of Kin” which is where the pure, raw energy of the album comes to a head, as this song boasts one of the best riffs on the album. The chorus is essentially one big breakdown that I would KILL to see live, with Dallas shouting “Stand Up, Fists Out – I Wouldn’t Have it any Other Way”. The fifth track “Raised by the Tide” is a modern southern anthem, with the classic guitar lead to start the song, and a slow rocking chorus to draw the ‘horns’ in the air. Dallas shines some light on being a southern boy, singing “I’ve covered this country, far and wide, but I’ll always be a son of the South”; the Duke Boys would be oh so proud. “Death is an Alcoholic” is another great jam, boasting some great riffs and another fantastic chorus. My favorite part of the song is right after a soft bridge, and culminates with one of the best vocal lines (lyrically, and sonically) on the album, “In This You Can Always Find Me, You’re Stronger Than You Look”

“Tale of the Runaways” begins with a lonely acoustic guitar that makes you feel like you’re traveling down a dusty lonely highway in the old west. The albums only completely clean song has Dallas’ clean singing boasting some great southern twang. The albums closer “The Day Hell Broke Loose at Sicard Hollow” could be the introduction to any classic Western movie. It truly takes talent to present this type of instrumental, as it truly does take you to another place. The acoustic guitar and violin harmonies tie together to make one classic Maylene song.

All in all, if you are looking for that summer album to blast through your speakers as you’re cruising down the highway, look no further. Each track has something to offer, whether that be an amazing riff, a classic breakdown, or just a great fist-pumping line, you cannot go wrong with Maylene’s sophomore effort.

Recommended If You LikeSouthern Metal; He is Legend, Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
02:39 AM on 04/29/11
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
I don't know what it is about the whole southern metal thing, but I REALLY dig it a lot, haha.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS