AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Damned Things, The - Ironiclast Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.67
Musicianship 7.42
Lyrics 6.92
Production 6.96
Creativity 6.79
Lasting Value 7.08
Reviewer Tilt 6.08
Average: 70%

Damned Things, The - Ironiclast

Reviewed by: d50416 (02/09/11)
Damned Things, The -Ironiclast
Record Label: Mercury
Release Date: December 13, 2010

Let me begin by saying I am a huge Every Time I Die fan. I read that Keith Buckley was going to be in a new side-project and I instantly got excited. When I read that members of Anthrax and the underrated section of Fallout Boy were going to be joining, I got even more excited. When Ironiclast was released I was blown away by everyone’s range as musicians, each of them straying from their comfort zones in order to create a piece of rock that will go down as one of the best of 2010. Some amazing riffs lie in this album, along with the catchiest choruses, and some of the best singing around from Mr. Buckley, which is not something he usually commits to on Every Time I Die’s outings. I cannot forget to mention Scott Ian and Joe Trohman’s amazing guitar playing, and while Andy Hurley’s drumming does not explode with intensity, it definitely does the job of filling out the album.

The album begins with “Handbook for the Recently Deceased” which boasts a fantastic opening lick and gives the listener a good look at what is to come. The next track “Bad Blood” features some hand-claps and one of the best bridges in recent memory, with a mesmerizing pedal-driven guitar lead, and Buckley crooning “Where was I When You Thought I Crossed the Line”. The third track, “Friday Night (Going Down in Flames)” is the party song of the album, as the lyrics deal with being back in college and partying your ass off. The first single of the album is “We’ve Got a Situation Here” and boasts one of the best choruses and hooks on the album, not to mention the best breakdown on the album. Also, check out the music video for this song, as it is one of the funniest and best things to come out in a long, long time.

“A Great Reckoning” brings the album to a different level as it proves that they can go a softer route and still come up with some great lyrics that you would think belong on a Fallout Boy record, but are played out perfectly by this band. “Little Darling” brings out some classic Queens of the Stone Age with some great guitar licks and yet another amazing chorus. The next two tracks “Ironiclast” and “Graverobber” are the two heaviest songs on the record, and they do not disappoint. The latter is easily my favorite song on the album, and features some amazing vocals from Buckley, both sonically and lyrically. The guitar riff is one the heaviest on the record, and does not let up throughout the song.

The Damned Things take all of the aspects of each members bands and combines them to make one amazing first effort, that will stand up to any challenger you can put up against it. From the amazing vocals and lyrics of Keith Buckley, the catchy choruses of Fallout Boy, and the intense, feverish guitar work of Anthrax, it culminates to become something all of their original bands are not. Fanboys of any one of these bands beware, it will not be a second coming of your band; but be prepared for some great rock that will make you bang your head at times and marvel at the creativity of the artists in this band.

Track Listing
1) Handbook for the Recently Deceased
2) Bad Blood
3) Friday Night (Going Down in Flames)
4) We've Got a Situation Here
5) Black Heart
6) A Great Reckoning
7) Little Darling
8) Ironiclast
9) Graverobber
10) The Blues Having Blues

Recommended If You LikeMetal, Southern Rock, Sludge Metal; He is Legend - It Hates You Queens of the Stone Age, Every Time I Die's "Wanderlust"

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
08:20 AM on 02/18/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Two things.
No score, I don't know if that was on purpose or not. Second of all, you put "Track Listiing."
10:14 AM on 02/18/11
d50416
User Info.
thanks for pointing those out, score was a mistake, and a double hit the 'i' key..
05:15 PM on 02/18/11
cwhit412
User Info.
thanks for pointing those out, score was a mistake, and a double hit the 'i' key..
Hahaha. Glad I could help.
08:00 PM on 03/07/11
sublime_theory
User Info.
Love this album.
I live right outside of Buffalo NY, so i'm fortunate enough to get plenty of opportunities to see Keith & his bands. Always a terrific show. Its awesome to see how much talent has come together for this solid album.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS