Username
Password

Album Review

Abandon Kansas - Ad Astra Per Aspera Album Cover

Abandon Kansas - Ad Astra Per Aspera

Reviewed by
Abandon Kansas - Ad Astra Per Aspera
Record Label: Gotee Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Release Date: March 8, 2011

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
12:15 PM on 02/18/11
HaileyItHappens
I would make tits more sense
User Info.
Quote:
Simply put, Ad Astra Per Aspera is straightforward, somewhat generic, enjoyable pop-rock with its own unique flair

What is it? An album, an EP or what? You're missing a word.

/nitpicking

Good review though. Doubt I will listen to this but always supporting your reviews an shit.
12:20 PM on 02/18/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Good review man. I've been swamped with reviews myself but I was hoping someone would pick this up. I think this band has a chance to win some fans on this site.
01:41 PM on 02/18/11
heinzfoot57
we are once in a lifetime
User Info.

/nitpicking

Good review though. Doubt I will listen to this but always supporting your reviews an shit.
get the free ep on Amazon and hear them first, they're more unique than he gives them credit for
02:59 PM on 02/18/11
Supersonic-Gabi
Supah-supah-sonic babay!
User Info.
No mention of Brad's vocal track? I really wanted to see what people said about that.
03:49 PM on 02/18/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
No mention of Brad's vocal track? I really wanted to see what people said about that.
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

Good review man. I've been swamped with reviews myself but I was hoping someone would pick this up. I think this band has a chance to win some fans on this site.
Compliments from staff! Yeah, it's really great. I've seen them namedropped pretty consistently around here, I was actually really surprised no one had gotten their hands on this before I did.

/nitpicking

<3

If you don't like The Killers then you probably won't like this.
04:23 PM on 02/18/11
whatthefuh?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What the? This band sounds nothing like the Classic Crime or the Wedding. Way more phoenix and Kings of Leon vibes. Maybe you should broaden your musical horizon regarding indie rock. "There’s also a lot to be said about the instrumentation and other aspects of the album".... but what are the other aspects? You won't bother to go into it? If there are other vocals on this record why not talk about it?

Simply just disagree. Well written.
05:18 PM on 02/18/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
What the? This band sounds nothing like the Classic Crime or the Wedding. Way more phoenix and Kings of Leon vibes. Maybe you should broaden your musical horizon regarding indie rock. "There’s also a lot to be said about the instrumentation and other aspects of the album".... but what? You won't bother to go into it? If there are other vocals on this record why not talk about it? "Absolute Punk" for a reason.
Write your own review if you disagree. I don't think there's ever been a time where I've completely agreed with someone else's RIYL. I didn't write the review to suit your tastes or what you think it sounds like, it's just my opinion. I did go into the instrumentation. Did you bother to read the paragraph that the sentence you quoted is attached to?

PS - I don't hear Kings of Leon at all.
06:08 PM on 02/18/11
Jennurna Gray
Happy P and the Goblet of Giggles
User Info.
What the? This band sounds nothing like the Classic Crime or the Wedding. Way more phoenix and Kings of Leon vibes. Maybe you should broaden your musical horizon regarding indie rock. "There’s also a lot to be said about the instrumentation and other aspects of the album".... but what? You won't bother to go into it? If there are other vocals on this record why not talk about it? "Absolute Punk" for a reason.
Man, I just have to say... WHATTHEFUH?
07:18 PM on 02/18/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
get the free ep on Amazon and hear them first, they're more unique than he gives them credit for
We're All Going Somewhere wasn't that unique, like I said I've heard plenty of other bands sound like that, that doesn't mean AK's EP was bad by any means though. This album is markedly more unique than the EP was.
12:24 AM on 02/21/11
JeremySpring
User Info.
Thanks for the review. If you'd like to download two songs from the new record, Heaven Come My Way and The Golden State are part of this FREE EP

Enjoy the free tunes, Ad Astra Per Aspera comes out March 8th. Can't wait for ya'll to hear it, thanks for the support on this site.
11:00 PM on 02/21/11
bradleyray
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thank you for all the support. I hope Ad Astra Per Aspera takes everyone on a "very successful journey into new waters."
02:06 PM on 02/23/11
richtiemann
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Jeremy and Brad,

Ready for it, guys! Bring it on!
10:15 PM on 03/01/11
daBigMoose
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You say you hear no kings of leon but you do hear classic crime and the wedding? WHATTT?!! I hear absolutely NO classic crime or wedding vibes. What is reminiscent in their album of classic crime or wedding? Come on bro.

"Simply put, Ad Astra Per Aspera is straightforward, somewhat generic, enjoyable pop-rock with its own unique flair. Looking deeper by comparison, however, Abandon Kansas’ growth and progression is very clear. The transition has moved their compositions away from the more populated and generic rockier sound of the previous EP, and has stuck with what the band does best..."

In the first sentence you state the album as "somewhat generic" and then literally two sentences later state their transition has moved their compositions away from the populated "generic" sound. In my opinion, this album is in no way generic, especially considering what the majority of the Christian rock bands are doing. You contradict yourself. What's up with that bra?

This band is only doing what the BEATLES, U2, and BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN have done writing about where they came from and who they are. This band and album have my true respect.

Before I go I couldn't help but notice the person whom referred to Brad's vocals and you weren't sure what they were referring to. Brad is the guitarist in the band and it has been posted that he wrote a song and sang in it but you do not know what she is referring to?
So let me get this straight.
You must not have listened to the whole record but yet this review should be held valid?!?
There also isn't any comments on the Tim Skipper of house of heroes vocals.
01:02 PM on 03/03/11
yetconfused
is no tragic bitch.
User Info.
Calm thine tits.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT