|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
Moments after I first met her, Mer Sal, our singer, stated "A band should have a simple memorable name. Something like The Symbols."
2. How did this band get started?
I had an instrumental trio playing under my own name, Jasco. We played everything from Django to Jeff Beck. Mer Sal showed up at a practice and boldly claimed she could sing many of the tunes the band was playing. I didn't believe her but decided to give her a few moments on the mic because of her charming smile. I was suprised to say the least. She could sing the hell out of them.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Stevie Nicks, Jeff Beck, Imogen Heap, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Phil Brown.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Hendrix, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin. Those were bands from the golden era of rock who paved the road for the rest of us. I'd like to have seen how they did it first hand.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A badger. Because I'm very tenacious.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
One reason is that we're not trying to fit into any one style. We're making music that honestly represents the varied musical backgrounds of our members, which I believe makes us more original than those trying to fit into a 'scene'.
Additionally, we have a band purpose to help find a cure for MS (multiple sclerosis) due to a musician friend we have who has MS. We donate 50% of online music sales and 25% of CD sales to the National MS society. So I say give our music a listen, and if you like it you'll also be helping a worthy cause.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Kristin." It would be easy to five-star on Guitar Hero. All of my guitar licks are simple and slow.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I think awards for music are kind of silly, but to answer the question: I would thank the listeners who popularized our music as well as my band members for sticking through tough times at the beginning.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd try to provide more interactive music educational opportunities for the general public. I'd also like to find a way to set up retirement pensions for life long professional musicians - the working kind, not the rock star kind.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Visiting Venice during Carnival.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Nothing yet. Just discovered your site moments ago.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Usually the latest one the band has written.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Working musicians have neither the time nor the means to take vacations. For us it's called booking a tour. Touring the south is fun, and I've had fun touring southern Europe.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Instrumental acoustic guitar music.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would not want a super power. It would skew the game of life making the outcome unfair in my favor, and thus cheapen any victories I achieved.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
We're just getting started.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
If I mentioned that, then it wouldn't be something that most fans didn't know about me.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
New Years - a time of celebration for events yet to come.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
What is spare time? If I have any spare time, it's probably spent listening to music or fixing guitars.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
None. That's why this music thing better work out.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |