AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Republic of Wolves, The - The Cartographer EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.71
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9.58
Production 9.92
Creativity 9.88
Lasting Value 9.67
Reviewer Tilt 9.92
Average: 98%
Inside AP.net

Republic of Wolves, The - The Cartographer EP

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (02/16/11)
The Republic of Wolves The Cartographer EP
Release Date: January 1, 2011
Record Label: Simple Stereo

It's one thing to burst onto the music scene and make a mark, it's even harder to keep the momentum - especially these days. Some people are just meant to keep writing with or without an industry. The Republic of Wolves wrote so much material after their debut EP, that they ended up making an album and another EP with it. The primary difference in the division of the songs is that Mason Maggio wrote most of Varuna while Gregg DellaRocca wrote most of The Cartographer EP. Thus, they are truly two different journeys dealing with similar issues.

One thing is clear then, both men have different, yet similar lyrical prowess. DellaRocca's writing style is very straightforward and confronting, whereas Maggio's style is a bit more poetic. Still, the band as a whole is quite solid in their delivery of whichever story they are crier-ing throughout their music. The Cartographer EP delivers just a little quicker than its lengthy sibling.

The Republic of Wolves are very well rounded in crafting easy flowing songs. "Calm Down" delivers an airy background and held back rhythmic presence - just enough. The keys and duel vocals carry this one beautifully along. The story's mid-album of "Widow's Walk" and "India" is where the band combines their brute force with their best tendencies to layer every single one of their harmonies: vocals, guitars, and keys. This is where the band really shines, in their use of dark epic swirl and gentle moments of clarity fighting each other. Once again the production is stellar in mixing the two sides, and really drives the album home.

As "The Dead Men Stood Together" closes out in chorus with everything in the studio just thrown at it, the ship finally sinks, and there's a few final muffled, simplistically stripped last words that eventually get cut off. Another story of fear, faith and love is wrapped up by one of today's best underrated bands. With two EPs and a very strong full-length behind them, there's no better time than now for the band to hit their mark. The Cartographer EP is another hit of an album, something a few people forgot how to write, but are slowly learning to do again.

Tracklisting1. The Pilot and the Pilot's Boy
2. Home
3. Calm Down*
4. Widow's Walk**
5. India*
6. Mirage
7. The Dead Men Stood Together*

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeRight Away, Great Captain!'s The Eventually Home; The Snake the Cross the Crown's Mander Salis; The Good Life's Blackout!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
10:44 PM on 02/16/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Love this, love the guys, love you, love everything.
08:29 AM on 02/17/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Love this. Interesting RIYL though.
09:48 AM on 02/17/11
suppyguppy
User Info.
Mirage is so so good. For how young this band is I can't believe how exceptional all the lyrics are. Highly impressed.
10:12 AM on 02/17/11
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
TROW are supreme.
10:55 AM on 02/17/11
ValleyForge
User Info.
Could you tell me who is singing on which song? I know that there are two different vocalist, I just don't know which one is which.

Anyways, great review. Great EP. Can't get enough of these guys.
11:40 AM on 02/17/11
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Could you tell me who is singing on which song? I know that there are two different vocalist, I just don't know which one is which.

Anyways, great review. Great EP. Can't get enough of these guys.
Mason sings lead on India, Gregg Andrew sings lead on every other song. Mason has the deeper voice, Gregg Andrew has the slight accent.

On Varuna, Mason sings lead on everything but The Attic.
12:09 PM on 02/17/11
theyearfifteen
User Info.
Mason sings lead on India, Gregg Andrew sings lead on every other song. Mason has the deeper voice, Gregg Andrew has the slight accent.

On Varuna, Mason sings lead on everything but The Attic.
this is true. although, on "The Cartographer" mason also sings lead on the verses of "The Dead Men Stood Together" and the intro and second verse of "Widow's Walk." and on "Varuna" gregg sings lead on the chorus of "Grounded, I Am Traveling Light" and the bridge of "You Missed The Point."
hope that clears things up!

thanks for the support, everyone! and thanks for the awesome review, adam!
02:30 PM on 02/17/11
NateGolubiewski
So it goes.
User Info.
I've been hooked on this band ever since the Brand New incident, and this album only adds to the addiction. Now all I need is a live performance. . .
(It would be awesome to see them at the Bamboozle)
02:57 PM on 02/17/11
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is true. although, on "The Cartographer" mason also sings lead on the verses of "The Dead Men Stood Together" and the intro and second verse of "Widow's Walk." and on "Varuna" gregg sings lead on the chorus of "Grounded, I Am Traveling Light" and the bridge of "You Missed The Point."
hope that clears things up!

thanks for the support, everyone! and thanks for the awesome review, adam!
You the man, but you forgot that Gregg sings the bridge in Oarsman too...and you're in the band!
And we both forgot to mention that you do the screaming.
08:29 PM on 02/17/11
blessphemy
User Info.
great review! been waiting to see this one...but nothing on Mirage? im not such a fan of acoustics but that song is something special
08:34 AM on 02/18/11
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
User Info.
Is this really worth getting if I didn't Like Varuna?... Can't seem to get into that CD.
08:49 AM on 02/18/11
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
This band is so good, so good.
08:51 AM on 02/18/11
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Home & India are my favorites off this.
08:52 AM on 02/18/11
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Is this really worth getting if I didn't Like Varuna?... Can't seem to get into that CD.

I bought Varuna and this EP, I listen to Cartographer way more so yes its worth it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums