AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Party At Her Place! - Elevated EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 3
Musicianship 2
Lyrics 1
Production 6
Creativity 1
Lasting Value 1.25
Reviewer Tilt 1
Final Verdict: 22%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Party At Her Place! - Elevated EP

Reviewed by: Corey Hoffy (02/18/11)
Party At Her Place! - Elevated
Record Label: Gas Can Music
Release Date: March 15, 2011

As a critic, I usually try and find a positive -- if even remotely positive -- element in each and every album I listen to. I'll listen to an album sometimes 20-30 times if I'm unable to find one right out of the gate. However, some music just has little to no saving qualities; absolutely no substance or substantial reason to exist. It's doomed to be mocked and ridiculed without mercy. It's happened with bands like Breathe Carolina, I Set My Friends on Fire, and BrokeNCYDE. Joining the aforementioned bands on the list is electronica/screamo/party band Party At Her Place, and it's a well-deserved and "earned" spot right at the top (or bottom, depending on your outlook).

Party At Her Place are part of the newly started Gas Can Music label, and I can't help but wonder if choosing this band to be one of their first releases is nothing more than a ploy to draw in the party crowd so the dumb drunk girls can have something to dance to. "Beautiful Machine" seems to verify this, featuring Hollywood Undead-like rapping, godawful lyrics ("So let's get to the point where you start posing, and I'ma make sure it's without clothing"), and some of the worst-placed screaming known to music. I literally found myself laughing the moment screaming was introduced in opener "W2C3.0".

Electronic screamo may sell to today's youth, and maybe I'm just being a Debbie Downer but I honestly don't understand the appeal, other than to have something to get completely shit-faced listening to. And it's not that I have a problem with electronic music. Hell, if people want to listen to it because they find some sort quality in it, more power to them. What I do have a problem with is when it starts to bleed into a genre already struggling to be taken seriously, and a genre that I often defend. It's simply an insult to bands actually trying to release comprehensible music.

But if you like to party, and you think BrokeNCYDE is "misunderstood" then this is probably the album for you. Me, I'm going to go into my kitchen, grab a couple pots and pans and bang them together endlessly. I think my ears would find more enjoyment in it.

Recommended If You LikeBreathe Carolina, BrokeNCYDE, hammering nails into your temple, watching Battlefield: Earth on a regular basis, watching brainless women get ttly wasted yo

Party At Her Place's Myspace

Band MembersDavid Bowles - Vocals/Programming
Justin Mulvaney - Vocals/Programming
Ryan Brito - Drums

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
09:26 PM on 02/20/11
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
if more than one member in a non-hip-hop band are credited with 'programming,' i'm not wasting my time.
09:45 PM on 02/20/11
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
if more than one member in a non-hip-hop band are credited with 'programming,' i'm not wasting my time.
/thread
07:42 PM on 02/21/11
PARTYATHERPLACE
Party at Her Place!
User Info.
Hey Man! Thanks for even taking the time, and giving it the slightest, chance. It seems your not a fan of the genre but you still gave it a chance and I Dig the honesty...Maybe the next CD will please your ears? Thanks really It means a lot to even see our stuff on this site. Been a AP.net user and Fan for a long time...
07:51 PM on 02/21/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Hey Man! Thanks for even taking the time, and giving it the slightest, chance. It seems your not a fan of the genre but you still gave it a chance and I Dig the honesty...Maybe the next CD will please your ears? Thanks really It means a lot to even see our stuff on this site. Been a AP.net user and Fan for a long time...
Hey, it's not a problem. I didn't mean for it to sound so harsh, and no, I'm not really a fan of the genre itself, so it's definitely a biased review (I'm man enough to admit that). But I definitely give you guys credit for going out there and making the music and releasing it -- that in itself takes tremendous backbone -- and I'm sure you guys will have a successful career.

And thanks for being so cool about it. A lot of other bands would have handled a negative review such as this in an entirely different and immature way.
10:31 AM on 02/22/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't enjoy this sound, but they do sound like a SIGNIFICANTLY less awful version of brokencyde (at least based on the two tracks I've heard). I doubt I would ever listen to this but I don't have the immediate total knee-jerk "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THIS IS AWFUL" reaction to it that I did with brokencyde.

If you want some advice: Go for more complex arrangements, more "layers," and the autotune could be done a lot better. I get that you guys probably don't have a massive budget but the production is a big issue. And using saw synths for every single lead line will only get you so far.
08:35 PM on 02/22/11
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
^I wish more bands responded to criticism like this. At least they seem mature.

But I agree with cubine, to make it better you gotta layer it and make this your own. Do everything you can to make it catchy and fun, but at the mean time display musicianship.
10:53 PM on 02/22/11
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
^I wish more bands responded to criticism like this. At least they seem mature.

But I agree with cubine, to make it better you gotta layer it and make this your own. Do everything you can to make it catchy and fun, but at the mean time display musicianship.

yeah, for real. a huge problem a lot of these type of groups have is that the beats and electronics in general just aren't that good. personally i think breathe carolina is one of the only ones i've heard do a passably decent job with the instrumental side and even they aren't really any good in comparison to more standard dance acts.

i think if you want to be one of the first groups to break through in this genre and give it some legitimacy, try listening elsewhere in electronic and dance music for inspiration and try to incorporate things you learn there into your sound, because in my opinion you aren't going to learn anything positive from your contemporaries.
06:55 PM on 02/23/11
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like this
09:29 PM on 02/23/11
PARTYATHERPLACE
Party at Her Place!
User Info.
Big Thanks guys... Seriously don't think I should do this but why not.. Open up your Itunes, search for us..We self released a EP That was near terrible.. but had a smidgen of hope.. That was only about a year ago... We have been doing this for a little over two years. So we are a little fresh at this. We use reason 5 for all our programing ad live bass and live drum... As for Layers we feel you...But you can only add so much before it gets to much most our Songs have what the need. Pads, Leads, Basses...Seriously Thanks for the comments and concerns, Follow us or stay up to date.. Im sure you see a post on here about a new single in the up coming months, and we will take all this into play and give you guys a super sick dance brutal massacre song? haha or just a solid Banger...
11:07 AM on 02/24/11
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Big Thanks guys... Seriously don't think I should do this but why not.. Open up your Itunes, search for us..We self released a EP That was near terrible.. but had a smidgen of hope.. That was only about a year ago... We have been doing this for a little over two years. So we are a little fresh at this. We use reason 5 for all our programing ad live bass and live drum... As for Layers we feel you...But you can only add so much before it gets to much most our Songs have what the need. Pads, Leads, Basses...Seriously Thanks for the comments and concerns, Follow us or stay up to date.. Im sure you see a post on here about a new single in the up coming months, and we will take all this into play and give you guys a super sick dance brutal massacre song? haha or just a solid Banger...
for all the criticism being thrown around you have the best attitude i've ever seen from a band member commenting on his own review so props for that.
06:33 PM on 02/24/11
PARTYATHERPLACE
Party at Her Place!
User Info.
Thanks Cubine, We are a Signed band and we most up keep a professional look. Also Me personally, I am a professional Chef, Im used to taking Criticism. But Like I Said to All Follow us, And the next song we will take all your input into play and release a real super dance fantastic beat haha. Comparing us to brokencyde, prob the biggest insult hahah. At Least our recording dont sound like they are recorded in a garage out of a trash can. haha Thanks Guys.
06:39 PM on 02/24/11
Corey Hoffy
User Info.
Thanks Cubine, We are a Signed band and we most up keep a professional look. Also Me personally, I am a professional Chef, Im used to taking Criticism. But Like I Said to All Follow us, And the next song we will take all your input into play and release a real super dance fantastic beat haha. Comparing us to brokencyde, prob the biggest insult hahah. At Least our recording dont sound like they are recorded in a garage out of a trash can. haha Thanks Guys.
I'll definitely give you that. Haha.
06:43 AM on 02/25/11
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Why bother reviewing something just to trash it?
11:46 AM on 02/25/11
Corey Hoffy
User Info.
Why bother reviewing something just to trash it?
I was asked to review this actually, so that would be why. I didn't purposely go out and find this and say "Wow, I could be really cool and be a dick and trash these guys." Besides, as a writer, I need to be able to test my ability to write negative reviews as well as positive ones. That's the only true way to be a balanced and fair critic.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums