Password

Album Review

Radiohead - The King Of Limbs Album Cover

Radiohead - The King Of Limbs

Reviewed by
Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: February 18, 2011
What words can be used to describe Radiohead’s eighth album, The King Of Limbs? Haunting, eerie, spooky, beautiful, lush, unusual. These are just a handful of words I use when I think of this album. The King Of Limbs showcases a new side to Radiohead. You see, when I first listened to this record, I imagined myself in a lush jungle of seclusion as ghostly voices led me into a trance. This is how I would think anyone listening to the album would feel. With this record, Radiohead brings back familiar elements found on past releases as well as exploring new territories of music that the ordinary artist would not dare to go.

"Bloom" starts off the album with an otherworldly keyboard sample, building up into an assortment of electronic ambience and beats that reminds me of something off of Kid A. As Thom Yorke begins to sing, "Open your mouth wide / Universal sighs / And while the ocean blooms / It's what keeps me alive", the listener will instantly be drawn in by the sheer beauty of such lyrics.

“Morning Mr. Magpie” opens with an organic guitar riff and drumbeat, as Yorke once again delivers such excellent singing. Once the “oh’s” come into play and the ambience background builds up, the listener will experience a taste of the paranormal for a few seconds until the main riff and Yorke’s voice bring you back to the song. Some robotic-like sound can be heard droning off as the song ends.

An exotic sound produced by the assortment of instruments can be heard as “Little By Little” begins. The instruments create a colorful picture while Yorke adds texture with lines, “Little by little by hook or by crook / I’ m such a tease / And you’re such a flirt / Once you’ve been hurt / You’ve been around enough” resulting in an elaborate canvas of emotion.

I almost feel as if a ghost has possessed the next song, “Feral”. Yorke’s voice echoes throughout the song as surreal synthesizers, persistent drums and a lingering ambience caress the listener.

The albums first single, “Lotus Flower”, brings the listener in with a deep, thick synth line followed by handclaps. Yorke sings about a lover, with lines like, “We will sink and be quiet as mice / While the cat is away and do what we want”.

“Codex” is definitely a favorite of mine. A piano plays while a voice hums in the background. Metallic trails accompany the piano while an orchestral section joins towards the end. Calling the song beautiful is an understatement.

The sound of birds chirping at the beginning of “Give Up The Ghost” gives off an image of nature. The sound of people singing and the strumming of an acoustic guitar add on to the image. It is definitely the most stripped down song on the record, with little electronic instrumentation, though it still retains the eerie vibe like the rest of the record.

“Separator” ends the album with the band playing as a whole, with the bass and drums accompanying the guitars. Yorke’s voice resonates over the song as background vocals echo in the background, creating a perfect unison.

The King Of Limbs showcases Radiohead doing what they do best: making great music. From start to finish, the album holds its grasp on the listener tightly and refuses to let go, not by force but through hypnosis almost. While it might only have eight songs, its captivating music will have listeners hitting the replay button over and over. The King Of Limbs is an essential album for Radiohead fans and for anyone who loves music.
This review is a user submitted review from CoopDawg. You can see all of CoopDawg's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
05:58 PM on 03/05/11
sowrongitsjack
Framework
User Info.
this is my AOTY
06:22 PM on 03/05/11
imaposer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's one heck of an album!
07:08 PM on 03/05/11
CoopDawg
aka AbsolutePunks Human Sacrifice
User Info.
This is my first album review ever so it's probably not the best review haha
02:29 AM on 03/06/11
Kid Amnesiac
User Info.
I have respect for you trying to review an album, takes balls, my friend! Overall, I agree with your score and your points in the review. I liked that you were able to describe the feeling that you got from listening to the album as well as you did. I think that you are completely correct when you say that the album grips the listener tightly and doesn't let go from start to finish.

Good review and I'm looking forward to seeing you try your hand at reviewing in the future.
02:30 AM on 03/06/11
Kid Amnesiac
User Info.
Yeah. Same here. AOTY.
01:53 PM on 03/06/11
contra11mundum
I am not magnificent.
User Info.
How do you know?
11:55 AM on 03/07/11
collideoscopic
User Info.
I am so tired of pretentious assholes claiming this is a good record. I've been one of the only long time Radiohead fans to publicly complain about the fact that this record is crap, because everyone else is too afraid to say anything bad about this band. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Thom Yorke could fart on record for 45 minutes, and people would give it a five star rating. Time to call a spade a spade.
12:46 PM on 03/07/11
longstoryshort_
User Info.
I am so tired of pretentious assholes claiming this is a good record. I've been one of the only long time Radiohead fans to publicly complain about the fact that this record is crap, because everyone else is too afraid to say anything bad about this band. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Thom Yorke could fart on record for 45 minutes, and people would give it a five star rating. Time to call a spade a spade.
So because you are a long term fan of the band you have the right to deem this album crap and call anyone who likes it a pretentious asshole?

Albums great, AOTY so far
06:51 PM on 03/07/11
CoopDawg
aka AbsolutePunks Human Sacrifice
User Info.
This record is overrated. It's a good album just not great. I still dig In Rainbows though
I'll admit, it isn't as good as Kid A or my all time favorite OK Computer. Heck, I even agree with you when you say In Rainbows is better. But this is still an awesome album. Definitely not their best, but it sure is better than a lot of the stuff played on the radio today.
05:17 PM on 03/11/11
Sumluver
User Info.
Very good album loved Codex quite a bit!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos