1. How did you get your band name? Brad: Back in about 2004, I wanted to start an instrumental project in the same vein as Explosions In The Sky, and my younger brother and I collaborated on a story for the project called "Wake Up Nebula." We never completed the whole project though. Years later, Blue and I decided that it was a cool name and that we'd call our band Wake Up Nebula.
2. How did this band get started? Blue: This project is just an evolved version of another project that we already had. The musical blobs keep mutating and turning different shapes, while we try to keep up.
Brad: The idea of doing everything electronic was kind of brought up after I had been listening to a lot of M83. I wanted to do something that was really poppy and dark at the same time. It kind of evolved once we started getting into the writing process though.
3. What bands are you influenced by? Blue: For this project, I'm not really influenced by any particular bands. Normally there is a huge fucking mental list that wants to come spilling out, but this is more about the sound of the emotion and trying to blend with the sound, not actual trying to sing. If I'm influenced by any band, it's just this one from the sounds we as ourselves create.
Brad: Personally, I am influenced by so many bands. but lately I've been listening to a lot of M83, The Joy Formidable, and The Naked and Famous.
Blue: It's weird to not be heavily influenced. I feel a lot more free to toy with sounds than I normally would. There's not a particular sound I go for with Wake Up Nebula, rather, just emotions I'm trying to portray.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why? Blue: Michael Jackson; just to see him and watch the absolute entertainment master at work. Oh, and The Flaming Lips.
Brad: Blink 182, P.O.S., Jimmy Eat World
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal? Brad: I'd want to be a wooly mammoth because my tusks would tear you apart!
Blue: A lion. Lions are prideful, graceful, amazingly athletic animals. Kings for a reason.
6. Why should people listen to your band? Blue: Because it's something that can be digested by everyone but has deeper musical, lyrical and emotional detail for the true music geeks. We truly mean every note, and we are passionate to every last sound.
Brad: People should check us out because everyone likes a good pop song. We're catchy, but we aren't gimmicky. we're doing this style of music because we're both pop geeks, not because we want to join the "neon scene."
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert? Brad: I'll have an answer for that one as soon as they make a Keytar for Rock Band
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? Blue: Fans first, always. My other member/brother in this, Brad Rhoades. Anyone who has helped us out and too many to name for giving me the chip on my shoulder.
Brad: All my friends and family, the lady friend, blue whales, coca cola classic (on the rocks), burritos, and Disney movies.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be? Blue: I just wish that it wasn't so... so... all based on the same formula. I wish more super creative bands could get to the top and change that, but what do I now...
Brad: I agree. I wish the bands that sounded unique and different were the ones getting popular and not all the bands that sound exactly the same.
10. Memorable tour experience? Blue: Just playing the tunes every night. That's always the highlight.
Brad: I was on tour with an old band I was in, and we were going through the middle of nowhere and we stopped at some thrift store where I found a California Raisin costume. I bought it and wore it for part of our set every night after that.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? Blue: Just a great source for musical know how. Great people run the place and keep it updated on all sorts of different music. Keep it up!
Brad: The AbsolutePunk staff/members all have their own taste, and I love how everyone kind of comes together to form one super online community.
12. What is your favorite song to play? Blue: My fav song of ours to sing so far, is "Blue Popsicle."
Brad: "Edmond, OK" or "Sunset Drowning"
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? Brad: California. The bay area.
Blue: Oklahoma City. Just because it's Americas nicest most unknown gorgeous place. I need to move back; it's where I consider home.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood? Blue: Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, 50's big band and jazz tunes, Patsy Cline.
Brad: the beach boys, buddy holly, frankie valli and the four seasons
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why? Brad: I'd want the power to hold my breath under water for as long as I wanted. I want to swim with the balaenoptera musculus. I want to ride on its back!
Blue: I would fly... Just to see the world from that beautiful, lonely view.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"? Brad: Not even close yet. but when we do, you'll hear about it first.
Blue: Not at all. There is so much room for growth and improvement, expansion and trying to new things and gaining an audience.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you? Brad: I can name off facts about blue whales on command
Blue: Baseball is a religion to me.
18. What's your favorite holiday? Blue: Halloween, without question.
Brad: Christmas! Nothing beats listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack while driving in the snow.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Blue: Music is pretty much all I do with my time. I don't really have much else.
Brad: When I'm not out working for the man, I'm either hanging out with my friends or family, driving around town with the lady, or working on more music. Music is pretty much all I do when I'm sitting at home.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? Blue: I'm excellent at broadcasting sports. I might go to school for it, actually.