AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows - D.R.U.G.S. Album Cover

Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows - D.R.U.G.S.

Reviewed by
Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows - D.R.U.G.S.
Release Date: Febuary 22, 2011
Record Label: Sire/Decaydance
I love Craig Owens. Plain and simple. Is it because I’m a huge Chiodos, Isles & Glaciers, and Cinematic Sunrise fan? Not really. The thing I like about Craig Owens the most, is that he’s a true musician. A little over a year after being let go by post-hardcore/experimental band Chiodos, he’s already back at doing what Craig does best; making his music. Joining him is guitarist/vocalist Matt Good (of From First To Last), drummer Aaron Stern (of Matchbook Romance), guitarist/vocalist Nick Martin (of Underminded) and bassist Adam Russel (of Story of The Year). So how does the super-musician’s newest music endeavor shake out? Well, you’ll just have to find out.

First thing’s first. DRUGS is not Chiodos. You won’t find any classical instruments fronted by weak screams; DRUGS trades those for much heavier instrumentation and vastly improved vocals, both clean and screams. The songs here, eleven in all, present better lyrics as well. The album starts out strong, with a few perfectly heavy tracks that portray Craig’s changes as a musician. Bone-crushing screams are slid in between pitch perfect verses and alluring instrumentation on “If You Think This Song Is About You, It Probably Is” and a brand new version of “Thermacare” (“The Only Thing You Talk About”), which was Craig’s last recorded track before leaving Chiodos.

“Graveyard Dancing” starts out with a much more Chiodos like sound, before delving into a rock-sounding track that fits with the album rather nicely. The middle section songs have a few ups and downs, thankfully more ups though. The lyrics weaken on some tracks (“Mr. Owl Ate My Metal Worm”, “Sex Life”) but still manage to keep up with the heavier pace of the album, for the most part anyway. Vocals are the focus of “Laminated E.T. Animal”, who hits hard with a magnificently loud main chorus and a perfect amount of whoas. We understand that the bands name is an acronym for drugs, but the next track (“I’m The Rehab, You’re The Drugs”) seems to want to drill that into our heads, with frequent repeats of “I’m the rehab, you’re the drugs.” Honestly, we get it. Although the song itself it good, that seems a little more than a little redundant.

The albums heavy/emo style, filling every song with melodramatic lyrics about backstabbing lovers and traitorous band members, until “I’m Here To Take The Sky” comes along. It really is an inspirational track, where Craig seems to be telling himself that this time he’ll make it. The message here (“If the sky is the limit, then I’ll build a bridge up to it, if I make it back ill still want more. If the sky is the limit, then I’ll steal the air that’s in it, I wont take it back, I’ll still want more”) is impossible to miss. It has a very poppy sound, and completely lacks any sort of scream, growl, yell or screech of any kind. It’s rather odd for a post-hardcore album, but it works rather well.

DRUGS, being the courteous band that they are, decided to finish their album with the two best tracks. “The Hangman” is a an instantly relatable track, being an ode hating on the judgmental and dramatic. It hits highs on every level, with crushing instrumentation, great lyrics, stupendous vocals and an overall sick sound. My personal favorite track is last (“My Swagger Has A First Name”). From the stylish guitar intro, to the classical violin in the background, and the gang vocalized whoa’s, and absolutely impressive screams, this song is really the definitive DRUGS song.

Craig Owens and Co. know that they’re doing when it comes to the genre of post-hardcore. They have been hitting the genre hard for the past decade from a variety sources, and now the several masters have come together to put something incredible together. The entire album feels very much like a bitch slap to Chiodos, as if to show them that they can’t touch him. So keep singing Craig, because the truth is, very few post hardcore acts of recent years will be able to touch this fantastic album.

Recommended If You LikeChiodos; Pierce The Veil; Underoath; Isles & Glaciers; From First To Last; Craig Owens
This review is a user submitted review from ChristianFuller. You can see all of ChristianFuller's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
04:53 PM on 03/05/11
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
I can't help but feel like this review is a little biased...especially considering you opened the review gushing over how big of a fan you are of Craig.

Other than that, well written review (I don't agree with any of it, but it's well written).
04:55 PM on 03/05/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Production should not be higher than a 7
and Lyrics should not be higher than a 5

It was well written but extremely biased
05:17 PM on 03/05/11
seanburnsred
The bar is my only friend.
User Info.
Love the album, but better lyrics than Chiodos? not quite.

the lyrics on Sex Life are terrible. I've read better stuff in bathroom stalls
05:27 PM on 03/05/11
vivatoto56
Importer/Exporter
User Info.
I approve of this review.

Also, we should make it a rule that no one can talk shit on Craig's lyrics if their username is a reference to August Burns Red.
05:52 PM on 03/05/11
DylanPPPP
Hey, are you a dreamer?
User Info.
Underoath in the RIYL?

How you don't mention The Used in there instead is beyond me.
06:41 PM on 03/05/11
el_cowboy_rojo
User Info.
i personally am sick of craig owens his voice just doesnt sound good to me anymore but it is a good review although it is a little biased
06:48 PM on 03/05/11
Charlesieiy
The night just grew its fangs
User Info.
Saw these guys last night, tight live and met most of them barring adam russell. I swear I was the only guy who noticed the drummer, aaron stern! Felt sorry for the guy haha! Proper nice guys though, all shook my hand.

In any case, well-written but defs biased. I agree on hangman and swagger being the best tracks, though!
08:27 PM on 03/05/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Production should not be higher than a 7
and Lyrics should not be higher than a 5

It was well written but extremely biased

Production is actually pretty good; everything is audible and it doesn't sound watered down.
08:43 PM on 03/05/11
bite2brkskn12
Registered Member
User Info.

Also, we should make it a rule that no one can talk shit on Craig's lyrics if their username is a reference to August Burns Red.
Why? August burns red are 1000x better than chiodos or d.r.u.g.s
08:48 PM on 03/05/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.

Are you insinuating the D.R.U.G.S. has better lyrics than August Burns Red?
08:48 PM on 03/05/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Production is actually pretty good; everything is audible and it doesn't sound watered down.
Hmm I'm pretty sick of Feldman making all the bands he produces sound the same, which is why it loses points with me
08:54 PM on 03/05/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Hmm I'm pretty sick of Feldman making all the bands he produces sound the same, which is why it loses points with me
Fair enough, though I would give someone like Brian McTernan's production about a seven. Though never bad I nearly always wish a CD was produced by someone else than him. Both the Graduate CDs sound good and he catures vocals (usually well) but drums always sound flat in my opinion and distorted guitarwork can sound muddy.
09:08 PM on 03/05/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Fair enough, though I would give someone like Brian McTernan's production about a seven. Though never bad I nearly always wish a CD was produced by someone else than him. Both the Graduate CDs sound good and he catures vocals (usually well) but drums always sound flat in my opinion and distorted guitarwork can sound muddy.
That's actually ruined quite a few albums for me, although I definitely agree with him doing a great job with The Graduate.
09:26 PM on 03/05/11
vivatoto56
Importer/Exporter
User Info.
Why? August burns red are 1000x better than chiodos or d.r.u.g.s

They are the worst band out there my friend.

Are you insinuating the D.R.U.G.S. has better lyrics than August Burns Red?

Yes, completely.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version