AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows - D.R.U.G.S. Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.18
Musicianship 6.77
Lyrics 5.15
Production 6.39
Creativity 6.01
Lasting Value 6.14
Reviewer Tilt 6.63
Average: 63%
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows - D.R.U.G.S.

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (02/22/11)
Destroy Rebuild Until God ShowsD.R.U.G.S.
Release Date: February 22, 2011
Record Label: Warner/Sire/Decaydance

Drama doesn’t follow Craig Owens, it rides on his back. Arguably the most polarizing figure in the scene today, you either love him or hate him – no one sits on the fence with this guy. There are always going to be people who think his former band, Chiodos, is better without him, and vice versa. But this isn’t going to be a review where we compare his new band, Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows, to his old band, or a review about what people think of him. Instead we’re going to focus on how his band’s debut album, D.R.U.G.S., is a step in the right direction for the new Craig Owens.

Owens has always been a multi-tasker when it comes to his music. He’s been involved in various side projects throughout the years, and while he may have spread himself too thin at times, he has always possessed a high creative energy. With Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows, Owens really zones in on this particular creative outlet and made it as personal as could be. He recruited his friends (Matt Good, Aaron Stern, Nick Martin, and Adam Russell) to round the band and enlisted John Feldmann to run the boards. The result is a fiery debut album that, despite a couple of missteps, finds a way to balance pop and aggression. Opener “If You Think This Song Is About You, It Probably Is” is the first indication of that balance, as an infectious chorus is buoyed between rapid fire guitar licks, electronic blips and glitches, and Owens’ dynamic screams. The whole D.R.U.G.S. array is packed nicely in that two and half minute opener, but they also let it breathe throughout the album, specifically on the huge-sounding “Mr. Owl Ate My Metal Worm.”

What may really take back some fans is how catchy/poppy this album is. Maybe people were expecting something heavier (and trust me, we do get some heavy parts. More on that later), so when songs like the Tim Burton-esque “Graveyard Dancing” show up, some fans won’t know how to react. The aforementioned “Mr. Owl Ate My Metal Worm” features a captivating bridge, while “I’m Here To Take The Sky” flows in the vein of Cinematic Sunrise (another one of Owens’ projects).

Don’t fret too much however, because there is still a lot of rage on this album, particularly on the vengeful “The Only Thing You Talk About” (or more famously known as the reworked “Thermacare). Featuring artillery-ready guitar riffs from Good and Martin (not to mention Stern, who absolutely kills the kit throughout), the track absolutely slays from the very beginning to the massive breakdown towards the end. Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows also flexes their muscles on tracks like “Stop Reading, Start Doing Pushups” and “I’m The Rehab, You’re The Drugs.” The best however is saved for last, as Martin shares screaming duties with Owens on the pulverizing final track, “My Swagger Has A First Name.”

But at the end of the day, it is Owens’ lyrical output that always brings out the most chatter amongst fans and critics. On D.R.U.G.S., Owens writes much more bluntly and clearly rather than the metaphor-heaving lyrics featured on previous efforts. Sure, these aren’t the most complex or deep lyrics we’ve ever heard, but Owens isn’t mincing words when he spills his guts out on this record. The most talked-about song is the second single, “Sex Life,” which focuses on how our culture is so obsessed with gossip. The message is strong, even if the direct lyrical output is the weakest of the 11 tracks. But whether Owens is calling people out (“The Only Thing You Talk About”), moving on (“I’m Here To Take The Sky”), or self-reflecting (“Mr. Owl Ate My Metal Worm), he is laying all his personal feelings from the past few years on the table, giving us his most honest lyrics yet.

Finally, D.R.U.G.S. is a fine heavy rock/pop album that should please the ears of many. Are there going to be disappointed fans? Of course, but that’s due to the fact that many hyped this record up to a standard that very few, if any, bands could reach. All Owens and company promised was a solid rock record, which is ultimately what Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows delivers. There are hiccups along the way, as the album seems to lack a coherent flow at times. It also seems that the band is holding back a little in some tracks, but that could be due to the inexperience they have as a band together. Regardless, this is an admirable debut album that’ll be humming through many people’s membranes throughout 2011, and we can only expect grander things from Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows as they continue to grow as a band. This is only the beginning.

7/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. If You Think This Song Is About You, It Probably Is
2. The Only Thing You Talk About
3. Graveyard Dancing
4. Mr. Owl Ate My Metal Worm
5. Sex Life
6. Laminated E.T. Animal
7. Stop Reading, Start Doing Pushups
8. I'm The Rehab, You're The Drugs
9. I'm Here To Take The Sky
10. The Hangman
11. My Swagger Has A First Name
Produced by: John Feldmann

Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows is:
Craig Owens - vocals
Nick Martin - guitar/vocals
Matt Good - guitar/vocals/keys
Adam Russell - bass
Aaron Stern - drums

Official Website; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 256.
01:14 AM on 02/22/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
here's the deal. I know the majority of people are going to disagree with this and that's fine. Let's have a good discussion on what we like or dislike about this album without resulting in petty insults. I just ask for respectful discussion in any type of review thread. Although I'm sure a lot of posts will be "this band sucks!!!" "I hate Craig Owens!!!" "score is way too high!!!" "Drew is incredibly good looking!", etc., it's worth a shot.
01:29 AM on 02/22/11
Ian Walker
wes craven with x cravings.
User Info.
You suck and the score is way too high.

In all seriousness though, this isn't really my cup of tea, but you've piqued my interest enough that I'll check out the whole album. Good job, Drew.
02:53 AM on 02/22/11
Charlesieiy
The night just grew its fangs
User Info.
Fair review. I liked the direction Owens is taking the band, the dude's voice sounds better than ever, but it just feels too simple at times and some songs just grind the nerves. Found the first half disappointing, liked the last half. Agree about best track being Swagger, they need to use Nick and Matt more, and lastly I don't think Feldmann did much for these guys... sounds too overproduced. It's enough to keep me interested in the band, however, and I'd like to see where they go next. Definitely gotten over my initial hate for these guys, which was pretty much only because I expected something incredible, not just solid.
03:15 AM on 02/22/11
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
Goddamnit I just have so much to say about how good looking Drew is!

EDIT: no sarcasm.
04:24 AM on 02/22/11
slowmotion90
User Info.
Graveyard Dancing is the best song out of all the songs i heard.

The fact that every song seems to follow the same structure is terrible.
04:43 AM on 02/22/11
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
I enjoy this record for what it is - a lot
05:08 AM on 02/22/11
Deejford
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very good review Drew :). I am very dissapointed in you for not mentioning "Laminated E.T. Animal", my favorite track on the album, though :/.

On another note, although a song of its nature was to be expected to be included, I feel like "I'm Here To Take The Sky" is incredibly out of place on this album and kind of wish it was like a B-sides instead of actually on the disc. Not that I hate it, but it ruins the flow for me. Other than that though, this met my expectations.
05:15 AM on 02/22/11
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
douchiest track names ever. but i will check this out.
05:31 AM on 02/22/11
glEnntropy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They are rather daring for having 2 palindrome song titles on the record. I'm warming up more to D.R.U.G.S. every time I hear it. With or without all of the drama surrounding this record and its members, I'm very impressed of what they've done. D.R.U.G.S. will now be frequenting all of my playlists.
05:33 AM on 02/22/11
slowmotion90
User Info.
The sad part is that they ALL follow the same structure. Good intro, filler verse, catchy chorus, bridge to show off guitar work/electronics, now for that closing chorus. Now the CD isn't bad, but I find it that it's much less original than I hoped. I did enjoy the review, it hyped the songs in ways that I hadn't thought of. Looking back to when the first singles came out, I guess I just had my expectations too high.
Yeah. that's damn boring.
Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus.

And the choruses aren't catchy as hell.
05:35 AM on 02/22/11
slowmotion90
User Info.
Very good review Drew :). I am very dissapointed in you for not mentioning "Laminated E.T. Animal", my favorite track on the album, though :/.

On another note, although a song of its nature was to be expected to be included, I feel like "I'm Here To Take The Sky" is incredibly out of place on this album and kind of wish it was like a B-sides instead of actually on the disc. Not that I hate it, but it ruins the flow for me. Other than that though, this met my expectations.
No, i think this is the only track that really stand out and varies the album a bit.
05:49 AM on 02/22/11
Deejford
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No, i think this is the only track that really stand out and varies the album a bit.

I accept that argument because the songs can sound very similar but I don't feel like a completely generic pop-rock song is the right way to add variety.
06:23 AM on 02/22/11
Aphasia17
Koi No Yokan
User Info.
Blah blah Drew's kissing Craig's ass blah blah blah

Anyway, this is a really well-written review Drew. You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on the album. Craig's vocals and the pure catchiness of the music allow me to overlook the subpar lyrics.
06:28 AM on 02/22/11
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
pretty much the most honest review ive read about this album
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music