AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

These Branches - 02.09.11

Interviewed by
These Branches - 02.09.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

These Branches

http://thesebranches.com/
http://www.myspace.com/thesebranches
http://www.absolutepunk.net/artists/...etails&l=25191

1. How did you get your band name?
The original drummer of the band and I enjoyed the word "branches" and, at the time, not many bands utilized it in their name. We thought of how branches on a tree are an extension of the tree and how our music could be an extension of ourselves. After going through probably 256 names like "_____ Branches," we decided on just "These Branches" because we were heavily influenced by "These Arms are Snakes" and decided to borrow their word "These."

2. How did this band get started?
The drummer at the time, Ryan, and myself were in a previous band together, Osterii. After that band broke up in the year and half or so we were together, we decided to carry on together. Our ex-guitarist and bassist didn't follow us into the new band. We wanted to play more "rock" oriented material, as well as faster material later on.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Definitely bands such as Lifetime, Saves the Day, Kid Dynamite, Against Me, Fugazi, The Get Up Kids and many other influences you may pick up on.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Whoever is or was doing it right. Playing little houses to make just enough money or donations to make it to the next date. Don't know who they are, if they exist, but, them.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A cheetah. We lay in the sun at the zoo in captivity, then rip animals to shreds out in the open.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We are presenting pop-punk in a way not many associate it with. People hear "pop-punk from New Jersey" and think of New Found Glory and The Wonder Years cover bands. We aren't doing that. We are making fast and original punk rock songs that you can "bop" to and sing the chorus to every now and then. We are also extremely active in the DIY movement; recording/releasing/writing our own music, designing and creating our own merch, booking our own shows. It is rare to see all of that from a band today. Not to say a label to help us wouldn't be nice.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Since Guitar Hero is done, we wouldn't incorporate any song. If we did, it would be a damn shame.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our parents for putting up with our noise in their basements all these years, our true friends who didn't fuck us over (the list is vast) and whoever contributed to getting us to that point.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Eradicate major labels. Put dependency back on the bands to write good songs and bust their asses without having these institutions shove "what is good" down our throats. Increase vinyl and cassette releases, as well as free download releases. Make this about creating
because we love it, not because it's necessarily profitable.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Haven't done too many long tours (not available because school and work full-time). But we did a roadtrip (8 hours) to Ohio to record for a "producer" who would potentially release our band once. The studio was ghetto, full of garbage and the producers were assholes. We left in the middle of the night, lost our deposit and spent the rest of the weekend recording in a hotel room (and that's the short version).

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
My main source of punk and rock news. Where I visit every morning, first thing, to see what are some things I might be interested in and why I should know about them.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
In our set? Definitely "Getting By." It is a really catchy song, our single, and has a really deep meaning to myself, and now this band.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Where we live, Long Beach Island. We don't have the money to vacation commonly and our town is a destination spot for all the coast, so it just makes sense.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
My dad wasn't a big music guy. So what my mom introduced me to: Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin. (I was totally goth until I realized I was too intelligent for that shit.)

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Power to see through bullshit and therefore see through more than half of the bands in the industry.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Absolutely not. Not until we get featured on AP.net have we made it. Just kidding. Somebody releasing some vinyl for us, helping us book tours or create merchandise would make me think we "made it." Kinda.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We are extremely shy and nice dudes. We maybe talk a lot on stage - are really up front and honest. But off stage - we kind of just chill and are really easy to get along with.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Halloween. We have shows at my house every Halloween and Valentines Day, and just love the darkness and feeling behind it all since we were young.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Nick (myself) goes to school, graduating in May with a Communications degree. I like to make movies, write articles, listen to new bands, drink beer and hang with the right people. Bryan works full time and likes to mix/make music, drink beer and go bowling.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
We are extremely decent bowlers, can out drink your band (sadly) and can um, yeah, that is about it.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests